Akron OH Cinecast (Good, Bad, Ugly and Everything Else)

Ok....some quick thoughts about the Cinecast.

Definately not a full review just some ramblings...written kind of quick as well.

Largest crowd to date for this event at the AMC I have been going to for a couple of years

I am a music person. I had a good time and look forward to seeing some more. First live show for me is Saturday 6/28

Cavaliers:
Didn't know much about this show going in but I am pleased to say I like this show much better than 2013. Some great work with members from the pit for sure. Guard looked real good. Could move up a couple of spots this year...hard to tell. Still very early for everyone.

Madison Scouts:
Ok...I heard of couple of tid bits of their music before seeing them at the movies so I was very curious to see how the whole show is presented. I will say I think Madison has one of (If not the) toughest music/marching shows out there this season..and there are a lot of corps I have not even seen yet. Playing jazz and moving the way they are is real tough. I feel this show will rock more and more as they clean it up. Has great potential to really bring the house down....but they have to get to the point of "Performing this show" not just playing or getting through this show.

Thanks Madison for playing an all-jazz show.....VERY REFRESHING to my drum corps ears.

Note: I have seen a lot of people bagging on Madison. I think Madison might surprise these same people later in the season. They looked to be like the second least prepared corps on the fied in Akron so they have a lot of room to grow.

Boston Crusaders:
What did I like about BAC...Hmm. I am not thrilled about their new uniforms (Their classic uniform is probably the best in all of dci..so I would never change that), I did not like their musical presentation, I did love the flugel horn and trumpet solos...bravo!! Even though they were a bit loose...I found myself watching and listening to the drumline and enjoying that segment of the corps the most. Back in the late 80's early 90's the BAC drumline was really good...it was def. their strongest section in those days.

Overall...Sorry BAC..I don't think i am going to like this one but we shall see. I am really tired of the dark, edgy and mostly non-melodic stuff. It's been done a zillion times. Makes me really miss the baritone solo and music from your Les Mis. show a couple of years ago. Long season ahead. I will also see you

on Sat. in Jackson NJ so maybe I'll get a different impression there.

Phantom Regiment:
Ok...the team from Rockford Illionis. I think this show is going to shape up really well as the season progresses. You are well on your way for an audience eruption at the end of the show. New uniforms...not bad but not the best either (Really need to seem them in person). I would ditch the stringy things on the left shoulder and I am not a huge fan of the sash (Current sparkle looks a bit to generic (Band catalog) maybe lace another layer/color in there). The fans I was with at the movie house responded well to the show. Looking forward to see this one progress for sure. I like the uni change...cool

Cadets:
After seeing that they beat Crown...was curious to see what they had. Very strong throughout. Unfortrunately this show is very narration heavy and given the overal theme they are going for...I think it's here to stay. Really...that is only problem I have with this show. Super strong drumline brass ain't to shabby (Actaully super) either and overall this corps makes you forget how the Cadets use to always start the season slow (In the early 90's the Cadets were beaten by the Crossmen at the first few shows). Color guard looked a bit sloppy so I will have to check that closer when I see them at the Cadets hosted show this Saturday in Jackson, NJ.

Carolina Crown:
Our defending DCI Champion. When I tuned in during the webcast back on the 15th I felt Crown looked very ready and capable of defending their title. They have a certain swagger and confidence about them now. Now about the show. I think the beginning starts to abrutly. I guess I am a little more used to the big Crown-style build up to the first hit that Crown is known for. Brassline obviously amazing, drumline improved and color guard pretty solid. Overall I don't really get a "Space" feeling from this show though. Sure there are tid bits here and there...but just the overall vibe doesn't have me thinking about Space. Ballad is my favorite part...don't change a note or a dynamic :) Show needs more wow moments..I am sure some are in the works.

Bluecoats:
I told the person sitting next to me I had a feeling the Bluecoats were going to surprise some of the movie viewers. I think I was right. I had seen a video clip from the Canton Crew which included the electronic sound bend trading back and forth with the hornline. I could see and hear the agreesion from the corps in that short clip so I knew the Bluecoats were going to be strong. Overall...have to see and hear this one a few more times. I am also going to see the Bluecoats this Saturday night so I should def. be able to get a good read on the show. Seems like it could really be a good one.

## Staff of Bluecoats....please add a reprise of the electronic sound bend to the final seconds (Chords) of the show. It is a hit already.

Something Steven S. said about making the first Jurrasic Park movie "I had to bring the T-Rex back one more time at the end...it became the star of the movie and people would hate it if they didn't get to see it one more time

"My idea For the Bluecoats Ending:

Dissonent chord from the brass blends in to a dissonant chord in the electronic sound bend
Sound bend changes to a major chord...brass blends back in with a final major chord while the brass members are kneeling and tilting til the members almost

fall over...
Brass chord stops..brass members fall from the kneeling position to the turf to a concert bass drum and cymbal crash.

:)

Ok...the bad and the Ugly,

Could be rough for you to read....only the strong continue please.

Looks like most of the show/program coordinators could stand to spend a couple of weeks with their corps during PT (Physical training) in the morning..yikes.

Crown. From my movie seat you were the worst offender with the bass synth goo. I don't consider explosion sound patches musical either...would much rather hear a concert bass drum. I noticed you used this in the past as well...yuck.

Cadets snareline....you are insanely awesome. Please fix your shakos and get your heads down so you look like one of the best most bad a$$ drumlines in the country instead of some half rate HS marching band flopping down the street in parade formation.

To all the corps....

STOP IT WITH THE BASS SYNTH ON THE FINAL CHORD OF A SONG AND/OR AT THE END OF THE SHOW!!! IT IS NOT MUSICAL!!! SOUNDS MORE LIKE FEEDBACK (ALWAYS HAS) THAN MUSIC

whew...feel better..lol

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 2

Nice review! Good overall thoughts. I hope you're right about Madison. To me, the horn book is amazing and their brass play it so well. My problem with this show is drill. Let's see what it's like when cleaned.

Ok....some quick thoughts about the Cinecast.

Definately not a full review just some ramblings...written kind of quick as well.

Largest crowd to date for this event at the AMC I have been going to for a couple of years

I am a music person. I had a good time and look forward to seeing some more. First live show for me is Saturday 6/28

Cavaliers:

Didn't know much about this show going in but I am pleased to say I like this show much better than 2013. Some great work with members from the pit for sure. Guard looked real good. Could move up a couple of spots this year...hard to tell. Still very early for everyone.

Madison Scouts:

Ok...I heard of couple of tid bits of their music before seeing them at the movies so I was very curious to see how the whole show is presented. I will say I think Madison has one of (If not the) toughest music/marching shows out there this season..and there are a lot of corps I have not even seen yet. Playing jazz and moving the way they are is real tough. I feel this show will rock more and more as they clean it up. Has great potential to really bring the house down....but they have to get to the point of "Performing this show" not just playing or getting through this show. Thanks Madison for playing an all-jazz

show.....VERY REFRESHING to my drum corps ears.

Note: I have seen a lot of people bagging on Madison. I think Madison might surprise these same people later in the season. They looked to be like the second least prepared corps on the fied in Akron so they have a lot of room to grow.

Boston Crusaders:

What did I like about BAC...Hmm. I am not thrilled about their new uniforms (Their classic uniform is probably the best in all of dci..so I would never change that), I did not like their musical presentation, I did love the flugel horn and trumpet solos...bravo!! Even though they were a bit loose...I found myself watching and listening to the drumline and enjoying that segment of the corps the most. Back in the late 80's early 90's the BAC drumline was really good...it was def. their strongest section in those days.

Overall...Sorry BAC..I don't think i am going to like this one but we shall see. I am really tired of the dark, edgy and mostly non-melodic stuff. It's been done a zillion times. Makes me really miss the baritone solo and music from your Les Mis. show a couple of years ago. Long season ahead. I will also see you

on Sat. in Jackson NJ so maybe I'll get a different impression there.

Phantom Regiment:

Ok...the team from Rockford Illionis. I think this show is going to shape up really well as the season progresses. You are well on your way for an audience eruption at the end of the show. New uniforms...not bad but not the best either (Really need to seem them in person). I would ditch the stringy things on the

left shoulder and I am not a huge fan of the sash (Current sparkle looks a bit to generic (Band catalog) maybe lace another layer/color in there). The fans I was with at the movie house responded well to the show. Looking forward to see this one progress for sure. I like the uni change...cool

Cadets:

After seeing that they beat Crown...was curious to see what they had. Very strong throughout. Unfortrunately this show is very narration heavy and given the overal theme they are going for...I think it's here to stay. Really...that is only problem I have with this show. Super strong drumline brass ain't to shabby (Actaully super) either and overall this corps makes you forget how the Cadets use to always start the season slow (In the early 90's the Cadets were beaten by the Crossmen at the first few shows). Color guard looked a bit sloppy so I will have to check that closer when I see them at the Cadets hosted show this Saturday in Jackson, NJ.

Carolina Crown:

Our defending DCI Champion. When I tuned in during the webcast back on the 15th I felt Crown looked very ready and capable of defending their title. They have a certain swagger and confidence about them now. Now about the show. I think the beginning starts to abrutly. I guess I am a little more used to the big

Crown-style build up to the first hit that Crown is known for. Brassline obviously amazing, drumline improved and color guard pretty solid. Overall I don't really get a "Space" feeling from this show though. Sure there are tid bits here and there...but just the overall vibe doesn't have me thinking about Space.

Ballad is my favorite part...don't change a note or a dynamic :) Show needs more wow moments..I am sure some are in the works.

Bluecoats:

I told the person sitting next to me I had a feeling the Bluecoats were going to surprise some of the movie viewers. I think I was right. I had seen a video clip from the Canton Crew which included the electronic sound bend trading back and forth with the hornline. I could see and hear the agreesion from the corps in that short clip so I knew the Bluecoats were going to be strong. Overall...have to see and hear this one a few more times. I am also going to see the Bluecoats this Saturday night so I should def. be able to get a good read on the show. Seems like it could really be a good one.

## Staff of Bluecoats....please add a reprise of the electronic sound bend to the final seconds (Chords) of the show. It is a hit already.

Something Steven S. said about making the first Jurrasic Park movie "I had to bring the T-Rex back one more time at the end...it became the star of the movie and people would hate it if they didn't get to see it one more time"

My idea For the Bluecoats Ending:

Dissonent chord from the brass blends in to a dissonant chord in the electronic sound bend

Sound bend changes to a major chord...brass blends back in with a final major chord while the brass members are kneeling and tilting til the members almost

fall over...

Brass chord stops..brass members fall from the kneeling position to the turf to a concert bass drum and cymbal crash.

:)

Ok...the bad and the Ugly,

Could be rough for you to read....only the strong continue please.

Looks like most of the show/program coordinators could stand to spend a couple of weeks with their corps during PT (Physical training) in the morning..yikes.

Crown. From my movie seat you were the worst offender with the bass synth goo. I don't consider explosion sound patches musical either...would much rather hear a concert bass drum. I noticed you used this in the past as well...yuck.

Cadets snareline....you are insanely awesome. Please fix your shakos and get your heads down so you look like one of the best most bad ### drumlines in the country instead of some half rate HS marching band flopping down the street in parade formation.

To all the corps....

STOP IT WITH THE BASS SYNTH ON THE FINAL CHORD OF A SONG AND/OR AT THE END OF THE SHOW!!! IT IS NOT MUSICAL!!! SOUNDS MORE LIKE FEEDBACK (ALWAYS HAS) THAN MUSIC

whew...feel better..lol

Nice job! Better insight then some of the full reviews and I agree with the Cadets shako thing.

Good review. I want to comment on what was said about people "bagging" Madison on these forums. i agree with the reviewer. Madison is going to be having all of the "baggers" eating their words by the end of the season. First of all, the show is not even finished yet. The member mentioned that in his interview after their performance. Secondly, I understand that the corps has been battling a lot of illness...unfortunate at any time of the season, but especially the beginning. And third...they have had tons of rain...including at their dress rehearsal. I know rain has affected many corps. But let's give Madison a break. They never fail to please the crowd, and they won't this year, either. I'm not making excuses for them...I actually thought their show was good already. I think by mid-season, it is going to be another fan favorite.