Akron contest noise

The organizers of the Innovations In Brass contest in Akron really should try to find a way to limit noise from outside the field from interfering with the performing corps. Pits warming up were stationed too close to the field; it literally sounded like two different pits were performing simultaneously through most of the evening. What is only mildly audible on the VOD was really annoying in person. Also the roar from 50+ buses and equipment and food trucks idling all evening made quiet moments in the show difficult to hear. It's strange that DCI goes to all this trouble to make a top-notch production of premiere event only to have all this noise intrude on their product.

I've complained about this since the first Akron show a few years ago. At least this year, Bluecoats didn't shout in the middle of the preceding corps' program.

I've complained about this since the first Akron show a few years ago. At least this year, Bluecoats didn't shout in the middle of the preceding corps' program.

Yes, I thought that was rude. I don't think they thought it through. But I don't remember as much ambient noise last year. I think it will get as bad as it's allowed to if they don't start trying to reduce it.

This being my first time at Akron, I was surprised at how loud the pit warm-ups were outside the stadium and how they were very audible inside the stadium while corps were performing. N.E. mentioned that this has happened before. My questionto the organizers is why does it continue to happen?

• Like 1

I also question why (if they actually are) the pit warms up amplified - it certainly seemed that way with as loud as they sounded.

We have all kinds of devices to enable brass and percussion players to muffle their sound and practice without disturbing the neighbors. Everyone knows what time the show starts. Warmup areas can be designated far enough away from the stadium to eliminate interference. Why should we EVER hear other hornlines, drumlines, pits, Dr. Beats or group yells over the performances we paid to hear?

• Like 1

We have all kinds of devices to enable brass and percussion players to muffle their sound and practice without disturbing the neighbors. Everyone knows what time the show starts. Warmup areas can be designated far enough away from the stadium to eliminate interference. Why should we EVER hear other hornlines, drumlines, pits, Dr. Beats or group yells over the performances we paid to hear?

I agree with this 100%. I know some corps claim this is a tradition to warm up close to the stadium, but there is definitely something wrong when you are watch a very good but small Open Class corps on the field performing a ballad, and having the corps rehearsing close to the stadium overpowering their sound. I have been saying this for many years. Some stadiums are much worse than others are about this. But the sad thing is, this could easily be resolved, and since I go to a show to see ALL of the corps, I wouldn't feel like I was getting short changed by not getting to hear the full show as it was intended to be heard from earlier corps performances.