There's a certain corps that frustrates me

Implied Brasso...perhaps not literally written, but it's not a far leap to see meaning. And regardless, that post was not intended to be limited to those who had previously posted a response either.

While I suppose I get your point, making a comment reply to someone not here involved in this discussion is like talking to noone in particular. That person(s) with that alleged position, and a position as inarguably and agreeably as faulty and indefensible as you described, most likely isn't going to hear you essentially talking to yourself regarding their position. Thus, in my view, it is much more fruitful to discuss what IS being discussed on this thread.

Edited by BRASSO

In my opinion, without a sensible and reasonable transfer policy adopted and implemented in DCI, the simple answer to your question is :... "until hell freezes over "..

The Cadevaliers will continue to win more than 8 out of 10 DCI Titles over the next 35 years too in my opinion.

As the wise words of wisdom instructs us :...." doing the same things over and over again ( no transfer policy adoption ) but expecting different ( placement ) results is the definition of insanity. "

But he didn't say Cadevaliers, he specifically said CAValiers. They're not an 'irrelevant' corps in this conversation (yet), but they are obviously not the gatekeepers they once were. Time will tell if that remains or not. When will the (unofficial) name be reconstructed is my question? 10 years without a top 3 finish? Do you have to win or just medal?

This is not a healthy state of being, IMO. The lava churns and flows underneath, and cools and solidifies up top. This year, as in others, there will be corps, especially in the 11-15 range, who will be objectively, demonstrably better in all phases of the activity than they were last year -- and yet will drop in placement relative to other corps. This happens all the time elsewhere: The Dodgers have their best team in years, and will finish 2014 with a better record than 2013, yet still may lose out to the Giants in their division. That's baseball. Wait 'til next year.

And that's okay, as long as the Dodgers have a reasonable shot next year. You can't say that in DCI. The system reinforces immobility. And in the long run, that is a cancer.

Excellent post. I particularly like the point I have bolded.

How long will it take for the cavaliers to not be included anymore? Yes they have 7 championships. but 5 of them came over a 7 year span. We can probably count them out for this year's championship already, so this will make 8 years without a cavaliers title, and the third without a medal.

In my opinion, without a sensible and reasonable transfer policy adopted and implemented in DCI, the simple answer to your question is :... "until hell freezes over "..

The Cadevaliers will continue to win more than 8 out of 10 DCI Titles over the next 35 years too in my opinion.

As the wise words of wisdom instructs us :...." doing the same things over and over again ( no transfer policy adoption ) but expecting different ( placement ) results is the definition of insanity. "

Quit trying to make "The Cadevaliers" happen...

. Every AA player wants a shot at the bigs. .

Yes, but the analogy with DCI doesn't fit.

That AA player you described here doesn't get to choose the team he wants to play for in " the Bigs " at all....It doesn't matter who his " dream team " is. Every AA player probably doesn't want to play for the Kansas City A's, or the Houston Astros, or some such if they had the choice of teams in " the bigs "... but guess what ?.. if they make it to " the bigs " thats where they could end up ( and remain stuck ) Thats called " real life ".

Edited by BRASSO

There is a certain baseball team that frustrates me, they traded a serviceable closer last year thinking it’d be easy to replace them and they blew the game last night on a wild pitch in extra innings. They often blame the fans saying if more people come out, more money will be spent on the field, as a Season ticket holder…this burns me

Drum corps don’t have as much control though so I often take them for what they are, have different expectation for different corps and different metrics for their success. Try to enjoy them for what they are

There is a corps out that this year that may frustrate some as their membership is better than their show, that corps had good momentum that could be greatly hampered by this show. The show idea was sound but on the field, it looks very marching band pretending to be a drum corps

Oh sure,....like Dad never misplaces the remote. Its always the kids. They lost it. Blame the kids ( haha!)

I had to eat some serious crow one night when I fussed at them for losing the Apple TV remote, only to realize later on that it was in my own pocket.

Quit trying to make "The Cadevaliers" happen...

I never lifted a finger to " make the Cadevaliers happen ", nor will I be in the least responsible for its Royal Family continuation of its governance on the DCI Throne for the next 35 years either. ( although it could be pointed out I have come up with a suggestion or two to make this inevitability, not so inevitable, imo.. but its gone heedless, and so it is what is is, and will continue to be," The Cadevaliers Royal Family on the DCI Throne into the future,... and as far as the eye can see, imo. )

Follow the money.

The scores required by the competition are rooted in the payouts associated with where you finish.

Ask, for instance, the Troopers about the 18th place payout from two years ago compared to the 13th place payout from last year that they will be receiving this year. Many corps, who are hanging on year to year (see the 990 thread) could use that extra money. Without the benefit of the actual payout numbers, I would imagine that it might be a difference of up to 20K. I am sure the Troopers need that money as much as any corps in the same situation and I am sure that should they break into the top 12 this year they will appreciate even more... just like whatever corps that may fall out of the top 12 will look to replace that same money that might benefit the Troopers.

I say it is about the money as much as anything else being discussed.

Yes, but the analogy with DCI doesn't fit.

That AA player you described here doesn't get to choose the team he wants to play for in " the Bigs " at all....It doesn't matter who his " dream team " is. Every AA player probably doesn't want to play for the Kansas City A's, or the Houston Astros, or some such if they had the choice of teams in " the bigs "... but guess what ?.. if they make it to " the bigs " thats where they could end up ( and remain stuck ) Thats called " real life ".

Yes, yes, of course. The analogy is not about the mechanics of the two situations, but about the aspirations of the member to be part of something bigger and better. Kids join drum corps because it is a Step Up. The bigs.