cascades 2014

But let's call a spade a spade: do most people really care?

Cascades were top twelve once, and who knows, someday they might be again. At least they've managed to hang around for 56 years while other corps have come and gone. Last August, when I took eight people who'd never seen a drum corps before to the Massillon show, Cascades were the first group they saw and a perfectly respectable opener for my friends. (By the time the show reached Spirit of Atlanta, they were asking me incredulously: "You mean this group isn't in the running for the championship?" We still had Bluecoats, Cadets, and Crown to watch.) And they were better than nine other corps in Prelims, after all.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

In 2012, Cascades made a stop in Lawrence, MA. Saw them a few days later in Allentown and again in Indy. I was impressed with their opening melody which I thought was a familiar Asian sounding piece with an exotic feel, only to remember it was the theme to "King Fu Panda" stepped up a notch. I remember thinking that the show was complex for a corps their size and with a few more members, they'd be formidable. I also watched them rehearse and warm up and like any credible corps, they were not afraid of work. They were also quick to recruit Teal Sound members and while this would have benefited Cascades, it required efforts on their end too. Extra members when a tour is in session in work. Any corps who pushes themselves and is willing to help stranded kids is alright in my book.

They HAVE NOT FOLDED.

And they HAVE NOTHING TO GAIN BY FLOODING THE MEDIA REALM WITH A BUNCH OF RECORDINGS OF THEM.

Seattle Cascades are doing exactly what they should be doing right now, buckling down, off in their own little area of the country, working their ##### off to try and get better. If anything, the fact that they have been practicing so much and released so little is a sign that they understand the steps they need to take to get better.

The group will be markedly better this year, that's for sure. They are just restricted right now by their region's talent base, that talent base being divided with Oregon Crusaders, expensive tour fees, and people that made poor decisions in the previous administration.

I lived in the Puget Sound for over 20 years. What always baffled me was the lack of Drum Corps there. You said they have to share with OC...which again baffles me, western Washington High School/College band is HUGE in the puget sound! Western Washington is nearly like northern California. There are tons and tons of ppl to choose from. But, it all comes down to recruiting and advertising....which Seattle probably doesn't have enough time and money unfortunately

• Like 1

It always dumbfounds me when corps do not self promote or even communicate with the masses. I'm not saying any particular corps is guilty, but many corps are, and they are usually the corps lower in the standings. I insist nothing good can come from ignoring inquiring minds and excited fans, but fan apathy can take over. Heck, just look at the stands at the beginning of any show, for one reason or another fans are trickling in the gates up to the last corps. The corps that get missed are sadly missable, not because they are bad but because they don't make a name for themselves.

There are some corps that like to "fly under the radar" in pre season, or the say they like to "keep them guessing". Well guess what, if you aren't G7, top 12 or the corps someone's kid is in, no one is guessing or even caring. I consider myself relatively in touch with DCI and if I don't know what your corps is playing or who you are when I see or hear you, you can bet Joe Blow doesn't know. You shouldn't be trying to sell T-shirts with an 11 minute show, you should be selling T-shirts all winter long by engaging fans and supporters. Your 11 minutes on the field shouldn't be the first someone has heard about you all season, it should be the culmination of your off season ground work.

I wish all corps good luck this season. And if by some small chance any of you directors are reading this, the fans want show announcements. We want engagement, we want pics, we want clips, we want to like you.

Edited by jonnyboy
  • Like 2

I insist nothing good can come from ignoring inquiring minds and excited fans, but fan apathy can take over. Heck, just look at the stands at the beginning of any show, for one reason or another fans are trickling in the gates up to the last corps. The corps that get missed are sadly missable, not because they are bad but because they don't make a name for themselves.

Or, you could look around here, facebook, etc and see that the second materials are released groups are instantly critical of you and compare you to everyone else. When your group is younger and smaller than those you are competing against, you need EVERY single second before those people make those judgments because you have more ground to make up!

That's kind of mean. There are a lot of dedicated people involved in this organization. I had a long conversation with a Cascades parent on a shuttle bus in Indy last year. No, they aren't a top tier corps, but I assure you, there are people who care.

You're right, it is, and I probably shouldn't have phrased it in such a way that didn't make it sound like I myself or anyone in particular on these forums don't care. It is, however, indicative of a larger problem of kids not wanting to try out for corps that they could actually make and learn from instead of the top dogs. That's a whole separate topic that's been touched on from time to time. I wish the best for them, and Pioneer, as I've enjoyed their shows.

On publicity: information is not 'owed' to anyone. If you are a 501c3, coupled with a music organization, facebook posts re-events are nice, but a little program publicity would be great and helpful. This info. should be front and center, with at least the obligatory cover photo promo. It's just common practice.

• Like 1

I lived in the Puget Sound for over 20 years. What always baffled me was the lack of Drum Corps there. You said they have to share with OC...which again baffles me, western Washington High School/College band is HUGE in the puget sound! Western Washington is nearly like northern California. There are tons and tons of ppl to choose from. But, it all comes down to recruiting and advertising....which Seattle probably doesn't have enough time and money unfortunately

Since I do some communications/advertising for the small non-profit I work for, you learn to be shrewd with your advertising dollars. Everything can cost money, but there are some creative steps you can take to achieve this without breaking the bank. Sure it involves some work and risk, but anything worth it does!

• Like 1

Cascades have announced and promoted their show selections in past years.

I have noticed that corps nowadays tend to wait until every last copyright permission is in place before saying a word about their upcoming show content. Look how many corps announced in May regarding choices made 6-8 months earlier.

Well as an OC parent I have to admit that we do compete with Cascades for talent but there is enough to go around in all of Oregon, Washington and Idaho - as has been mentioned. My feeling is that ALL NW corps need to stay strong and vibrant so we can keep the activity going and growing in our neck of the woods!

Seeing Thunder out of it this year is a set back, but now we have Eruption. I am looking forward to seeing Eruption and Columbians at the Drums of Fire McMinnville OR show.

• Like 1