Drums on Parade

Shapiro writes HARD guard work. If they can clean, it can be an awesome thing to behold. Remember Houdini?

Shapiro is a great instructor. Makes me even watch the guard. But watching alot of videos the drops are hurting especially because its key moments like the moving couch rifle ripple at the end of part 2 or the sabre catch in the ballad. Once its clean it a going to be crazy.

The Cavaliers are going to be a fantastic group come finals!!

They're within striking distance of 3rd. Interesting.

Hell yes, cavaliers keep pushing and put the other corps back where they belong------>behind

Pioneer has improved 6.5 pts. in eight days. If they were to keep that pace up, they'd score 86.5 in Prelims.

Lol!

Quick notes.

Wind wasn't anyone's friend tonight; especially if you brought big things on the field that the wind wanted to blow over.

Pretty full house; very friendly and respectful audience. Nice stadium for a show this early in the season.

Cavaliers content is starting to help them more, since their performance levels in marching and brass aren't quite there yet. Regiment is cleaner, but their show design simply hits a level and stays there; little sense of intrigue or sense that there's room for additional development of the idea.

Madison, if you're going to have speakers positioned out at the 10s, please try not to have their levels so loud that it's louder for the fans on that side than the rest of your corps. One pit on the 50 is great, a second virtual pit near the end zone, not so much. That being said, the new ending is..interesting. I still don't get Time Travel guy.

Blue Stars have 1950s housewives spinning sabres. Musically, some nice things going on, but I don't get what I'm supposed to be getting regarding the 'home' thing.

Colts narrator mic wasn't working at opening, so his opening phrases were missing, and then when he WAS being heard, it was largely unintelligible. So do I need to know what he's saying to get the show? Nice featured dancer work. As I think of it, it's a very interesting collection of pieces; the overlaying of monologue really doesn't make it any better.

Troopers...want to love them. Respect the hell out of them. Can't get that into the show; if it's about all of us coming together and putting aside our differences, as per the opening narration, where is that idea in the actual show? Good drum line. Solid horn playing. Just not feeling the program.

Pioneer, better every day. Good snare solo features.. Huge problems with rolling scenic elements being taken by the wind. One word if you're going to use them at outdoor shows; brakes. Very pleasant arrangements, well suited to the skill level of the corps.

Edited by Slingerland

Quick notes.

Wind wasn't anyone's friend tonight; especially if you brought big things on the field that the wind wanted to blow over.

Pretty full house; very friendly and respectful audience. Nice stadium for a show this early in the season.

Cavaliers content is starting to help them more, since their performance levels in marching and brass aren't quite there yet. Regiment is cleaner, but their show design simply hits a level and stays there; little sense of intrigue or sense that there's room for additional development of the idea.

Madison, if you're going to have speakers positioned out at the 10s, please try not to have their levels so loud that it's louder for the fans on that side than the rest of your corps. One pit on the 50 is great, a second virtual pit near the end zone, not so much. That being said, the new ending is..interesting. I still don't get Time Travel guy.

Blue Stars have 1950s housewives spinning sabres. Musically, some nice things going on, but I don't get what I'm supposed to be getting regarding the 'home' thing.

Colts narrator mic wasn't working at opening, so his opening phrases were missing, and then when he WAS being heard, it was largely unintelligible. So do I need to know what he's saying to get the show? Nice featured dancer work. As I think of it, it's a very interesting collection of pieces; the overlaying of monologue really doesn't make it any better.

Troopers...want to love them. Respect the hell out of them. Can't get that into the show; if it's about all of us coming together and putting aside our differences, as per the opening narration, where is that idea in the actual show? Good drum line. Solid horn playing. Just not feeling the program.

Pioneer, better every day. Good snare solo features.. Huge problems with rolling scenic elements being taken by the wind. One word if you're going to use them at outdoor shows; brakes. Very pleasant arrangements, well suited to the skill level of the corps.

The show is about building a home. The tarps are the blue prints. When they start the show everyone is outside the house wearing movers jumpsuits. The guard has trolleys, crates,and are carrying in tables and such for the house. As the opener progresses the corps moves into the house. They keep the home thing by moving into other rooms. Once they are moved into the house everyone takes off their moving gear. For a better explanation:

"For 50 years people have been calling the Blue Stars home. Thousands of people have crossed our threshold and been welcomed into our family. Members, staff, volunteers, parents, and fans have all placed bricks on the foundation of hard work and excellence we strive for each year.

We think of Home as an extraordinary place, a place filled with special people and memories. A place in which you can always turn. It is where our heart is. We all have our reasons for being part of the Blue Stars' family, and for returning to that family and special place we know as home year after year.

In 2014 the Blue Stars will explore the idea of home with its production of "Where the Heart Is." The show will explore what it means to build a home, and how that environment shapes and forms the love of a family."

In 2014 the Blue Stars will explore the idea of home with its production of "Where the Heart Is." The show will explore what it means to build a home, and how that environment shapes and forms the love of a family."

And yet in reality, as defined by the things that actually happen on the field, it's more about moving day. This is what happens when one has to find literal things to do to try and illustrate an amorphous concept. The literal things will win every time.

Marie put Cavies above Regiment? How unusual!

(/sarcasm)

Garry in Redlands

Edited by CrunchyTenor
  • Like 1

Marie put Cavies above Regiment? How unusual!

(/sarcasm)

Garry in Redlands

Marie was only one of the six judges that had Cavies in first. Two had Regiment in first and the percussion judge had them in third. The spread was .75 and Marie was only responsible for .15 of that. Does DebbieT come in for an equal share of your sarcasm?

I think the guard judge must be new. His scores are all over the place. A bit like that new percussion judge last week. When a more established guard judge judges, I think things will shake out differently.