Mini Corps for 2014 - Who is in?

I predict this will suck for the first couple of Alumni corps Sunday morning..... Only 11 hours between start of GR and Hamburg Kingsmen.... Sorry DCA but :thumbdown: for the timing........

I thought that schedule was a little bogus myself. Why do the Mini-Corps start so late?

I thought that schedule was a little bogus myself. Why do the Mini-Corps start so late?

Because many of the performers in Mini Corps are also entered into different I&E categories.

• Like 1

And now it's even later. The first mini corps was scheduled to start at 8:30 p.m. and the last at 11:00 p.m., but I see the schedule has been revised as follows:

8:45 p.m. -- Thunderbirds

9:00 p.m. -- Rocketeers

9:15 p.m. -- Thunder Brigade

9:30 p.m. -- Cincinnati Tradition

9:45 p.m. -- Renegades

10:00 p.m. -- Minne-Brass

10:15 p.m. -- High Country Brass

10:30 p.m. -- Impact of Orlando

10:45 p.m. -- Sacramento Freelancers

11:00 p.m. -- Star United

11:15 p.m. -- Ghost Riders

Donny better schedule some nap time Saturday...... :tounge2:

Jim I've known you for a long time... almost always agreed with you and certainly have enjoyed your friendship... and of course speaking as a retired drum corps person and NOT speaking for DCA... I'm very disappointed that you felt the need to slam the timing without offering a viable alternative... let me make a few points:

1. Some 500 people are attending the Golden anniversary Gala and then coming to the mini corps event - would you exclude them?

2. Many of the mini corps people compete in I&E... scheduling for I&E is a nightmare as it is... I&E chairman is the most thankless job of the weekend... (Good luck Dick Fischette) How does he schedule around all these multiple performances?

3. There are only so many management people to go around... they are taxed to the Nth degree over the 3 days... what timing would work better and allow appropriate and necessary staff?

4. This schedule has developed over almost 25 years of trial and error... again... got a better idea??? I know a lot of people would be interested in any viable suggestion...

5. Ghost could always ask to go on early... yeah right... NOT!!!!! I'm sure that Donnie and the gang are pretty pleased with when they're going on...

6. I'm thrilled to have Hamburg Alumni there on Sunday... I hope that this "rocket" gives them a ride into full and permanent existence - and not just a one year thing... Keep it up Cooley and the gang... If anyone is doing both GR and Hamburg and the 11 hours is a problem, then like me, they should probably admit their age and limit what they're trying to do...

7. Like many this weekend, I'm still a bit in shock as Red Corso's sudden passing has reminded us all how fragile life can be... to be vibrant and active a week ago Saturday and running the regional championship in Scranton and then the next day he's hospitalized from a fall and soon gone... Let's all sit back and take a deep breath and take stock of everything... we love this activity... it's not a hobby it's a way of life... but in the end, it's our lives, our health, our families that really matter... so let's all go out there this coming weekend and whether were performing or just watching and enjoy every moment of the activity we so love... and then go home and give our wives, kids and grandkids all a big special hug and thank you ... just for loving us the way they do...

8. God Bless Red Corso... Please all keep him in mind as you enjoy every performance...

Edited by TomPeashey
  • Like 3

Do they sell beer at this mini corps thing for the spectators?

YES... and wine

let's just say it's a VERY social occasion

Tom it was not meant as a slam but if you got some steam out of your system with your response then hope it helped.

Wish I had a better idea... oh Hell I'll be honest and say I wish I had any idea. No matter what day/time I&E and Minis go on there will be problems with scheduling. Lotta stuff going on during the weekend but still better than the one day Prelims/Finals. But as for schedule DCA is ####ed if they do (Friday) and ####ed if they don't (Sat) and I realize that. Making Prelims earlier helps reagrdless of the day of I&E/Minis. But then people would complain about a late Friday night Minis and 10AM Prelims.... just like I'm grumping about late Sat night and 10AM Alumni.... And I'll admit I never thought about how late Minis were held until I saw the schedule and started doing the math on number of hours between the shows.

The line about Donnie getting some sleep was meant as a joke but after my other post can see how it might not have been taken that way. Seriously I can image for some people there will be a choice of staying for Minis or getting up for start of Alumni. Add on a hotel room that might not be that close (we were by the airport) and the commute cuts into sleep time. Sure DCA thought of that and after a few choice swear words realized there wasn't much of a choice. Lets just say my post was me blowing steam more than an insult at DCA. I can just "hear" Larry H reading my post and saying "Jimmy.... come over here... away from everyone...let's talk".

And yes thoughts are with Red Corsos' family and friends. Only time I ever saw him close was just last year during breakfast day after last years DCA. All those years and that was it. And I&E always reminds me of Dick Pronti and the help he gave Kris and I in the middle of doing 50 things at once Friday nights. As for how fragile life can be is the main reason why we (thank God, "we") will be home watching.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Oh yeah... I liked Toms post because once in a while we need reminded how much #### has to be done to keep DCA going. Not just Labor day weekend but the both on and off season. Used to work with a huge week long old car event at Hershey every Fall and know first hand how much is needed (all year) and how thankless it can be at times. And with a bunch of unpaid volunteers.....

Wonder if anyone going to the shows gave a DCA volunteer Hell about the parking fee that DCA was charging. Yeah I know DCA has nothing to do with parking fees but used to catch crap every year working the car show about that issue. In that case it was Hershey (the company, not the town) charging the $$$.

So if anyone thinks I'm upset with Toms response... nope..... have seen it but not with cars instead of corps and not at his level.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Thanks Jim... you're right, I was tired and venting (just not officially)... glad we're still friends...