St. Augustine scores and review

Can someone tell me where the Sun Devils are out of .I know they moved a few years back from Northport to Gainsville ,then i guess to Inverness Fl. I only question this because i find it strange that the new Florida Heat Wave is calling Inverness home .

John,

Thanks for the review of EVERYONE and the kind words about CV. Needless to say as we've told the members ".... Miles to go before we sleep....." Glad folks are enjoying the product this year.

AA

ALAN! good stuff - and as always, best of luck!

you reminded me of something I wanted to comment on, and maybe get an explanation: at one point in the show CV vocalizes - we thought it sounded like a Latin chant of some kind, but it was hard to hear (another improvement opportunity) - what was that?

it definitely fell right in with the action on the field, but it was 'lost in translation' to everyone...

Hey John,

Dan has it, although before anyone starts going on google translate to argue that is not what it means.... (not that anyone here would do that... :tounge2: )

I did the research myself and consulted a gentleman who has taught Latin 40 plus years to get the phrase correct so they'll have to argue with a lifelong "Latin scholar" if someone wants to go down that road.

Show is a lot of fun. 1st movement is the witch exploring her power. 2nd movement is her questioning the whole "good/evil" thing and then getting angry when her "seduction effort" is spurned. 3rd movement is her anger setting up the battle between her "minions" (at that point the guard and battery percussion) and the horns and then 4th movement is her celebrating her victory in "Hexing" them all.

Lots of obvious "surface" moments that everyone will get in the show, (costuming for the guard, costume changes, "hex" in the drill, audio/visual "magic" with the percussion...) but also lots of deeper layers for those who might see it multiple times. You can look for the moments of circular forms that represent "goodness", linear forms that represent the process of transforming to evil and finally, you will see the entire hornline in a HUGE X to end the show representing the Witch's final victory.

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the product and we're really proud of how well the kids (and old folks) are performing so far. Looking forward to going up North this weekend and getting to see everyone else as well. Safe travels to all !!!

Hope to see you at Finals !!

AA

Can someone tell me where the Sun Devils are out of .I know they moved a few years back from Northport to Gainsville ,then i guess to Inverness Fl. I only question this because i find it strange that the new Florida Heat Wave is calling Inverness home .

Good question! We out of Orlando now.

On another note - thank you for the fair and honest review. Yes, we were not done with our show at our show. Now that we have the first show out of the way, we are looking forward to Carolina Gold's show in a few weeks.

And a thank you for me for taking the time to write a review.

• Like 1

Hey John,

Dan has it, although before anyone starts going on google translate to argue that is not what it means.... (not that anyone here would do that... :tounge2: )

I did the research myself and consulted a gentleman who has taught Latin 40 plus years to get the phrase correct so they'll have to argue with a lifelong "Latin scholar" if someone wants to go down that road.

Show is a lot of fun. 1st movement is the witch exploring her power. 2nd movement is her questioning the whole "good/evil" thing and then getting angry when her "seduction effort" is spurned. 3rd movement is her anger setting up the battle between her "minions" (at that point the guard and battery percussion) and the horns and then 4th movement is her celebrating her victory in "Hexing" them all.

Lots of obvious "surface" moments that everyone will get in the show, (costuming for the guard, costume changes, "hex" in the drill, audio/visual "magic" with the percussion...) but also lots of deeper layers for those who might see it multiple times. You can look for the moments of circular forms that represent "goodness", linear forms that represent the process of transforming to evil and finally, you will see the entire hornline in a HUGE X to end the show representing the Witch's final victory.

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying the product and we're really proud of how well the kids (and old folks) are performing so far. Looking forward to going up North this weekend and getting to see everyone else as well. Safe travels to all !!!

Hope to see you at Finals !!

AA

Whoa, this show sounds like a story about my 2 ex-fiancees. Corps members who marched with me and or dealt with them can vouch for this as truth. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the 'trophies', which were colored cut glass bottles...no reliable report on what they may have contained at one time before coming on site...if anything at all...pretty cool in a kitschy way!

Here are the trophies from our show. St. Augustine is more of a destination show. There is a ton of history and local lore here. The Board thought it would be clever to hand out a "trophy" that had local significance. Each trophy color represents the respective corps.

1782183_10152131898271851_11887604176347

thanks for the color explanation - we couldn't figure out the 'gold, silver and ....blue'

I'm glad folks dug on the trophies. As JJ said, we wanted to come up with something more creative than the standard trophy - something that tapped into all the history of America's oldest city. We got a few questions about what was in the bottles. Unfortunately, the announcer forgot to explain that part. Early on the morning of the show, the Sun Devils Board of Directors took a "field trip" to the fabled Fountain of Youth. The colors correspond to the corps in the show. Blue = Impact, Gold = Gold, Green = CV, Red = SD, and Grey = Florida Brass.

• Like 1

Any one that attented this show have any comments or review ,what kind or size crowd did they get .I for one had intentions of going ,but i had 18 teeth pulled on friday so backed off on the drive .Even thought Saint Augustine is less then a haft hour away from where i live .But if all goes well i'll catch the Douglasville Georgia show later this season .

Check at www.atlantacv.org for updates on the CV Home Show. There is likely a location change to Rockmart, GA. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Jason