7. Mandarins 62.6

Open Class

1. Gold 55.35

2. Golden Empire 49.2

3. Impulse 48.8

4. Watchmen 42.5

5. City Sound 42.4

6. Incognito 38.2

Pacific Crest and Academy trade places from yesterday. Mandarins are only about a point behind them.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Gold gains almost two points in one day. Impulse closes a lot of ground on Golden Empire. Among the Open Class corps, only Watchmen slip from yesterday.

I went to Corps at the Crest Oceanside and it was pretty much a full crowd! I have friends taking pictures of the Glendora show and it's packed.

Attendance (from what I've seen) is pretty high. The reasons why people aren't posting on DCP?

1) A lot of the audience (old and young) are new to the activity!

I overheard various conversations with many attendees asking veteran audience members what to expect and who to listen for. I even overheard a father and son duo behind me debating whether or not The Academy were the Cadets or Vanguard (I couldn't help but give a lighthearted chuckle). There were also a good amount of high school students in attendance, viewing drum corps for the first time because "their instructor was marching with -insert corps name here-" or "my band director told me this is what field shows should look like."

I frankly am happy that people are entering the activity! Many were blown away with what they saw, some a bit disappointed with little things here and there, like the scores (judging by the many conversations I heard as I left the stadium). But for the most part, the feedback was positive!

Despite there being so many newcomers, I did overhear conversations amongst veteran attendees and DCP was actually brought up! I didn't want to intrude on their conversation, but this leads me to my next point.

2) Many veteran attendees are somewhat turned off by what is discussed on DCP.

The first couple I heard discussing the forum had positive things to say, but after that, the flood gates opened. It mainly came from the young adult crowd, but the attitude towards DCP was very negative.

Statements ranging from "They don't take others opinions well" to "I am afraid to comment" were audible during the 5-7 hours I spent at the event. I wish I was the bearer of better news! (and I am actually having second thoughts about posting this because my Mom told me if you didn't have good things to say, then don't say it!)

I would have gone up to ask these people why they felt the way they did about the forum! But, they were sort of busy with the fact that -

3) No one wants to be interrupted AT ALL during the event because they are enjoying the -bleep- out of what's happening in front of them.

AKA. PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY PUTTING DOWN THEIR PHONES DURING PERFORMANCES.

The Oceanside show was awesome. Every corps seemed to give it their all (minus a few corps dialing back a bit on the impacts, which is a discussion I will save for my Oceanside show review). Speaking of which, I read a review saying the audience was tough and I disagree with that, based on where I was at. People tried NOT to clap during the entire production because

A) they didn't want to interrupt the performance

B) they were trying to support their rear end from the awfully hard concrete seats (I know because when I stood up to have my butt breathe, the lady behind me said "that's a good idea" and stood up as well. Seriously though, ouch! My tuckus has not recovered)

Whoah. Kind of went on a tangent there, I apologize for that.

Tangent aside and to answer questions from people that were not in attendance, NO. Attendance is not down and fans are not leaving the activity but the buttload. (Once again, from my perspective). People are just new to the activity and haven't heard / been on DCP. Some are a bit turned off by it. And others are just trying to enjoy the awesome performances in front of them

-edited for spelling corrections and grammar. Sigh. Been on summer break too long!-

Edited by archbananas
  • Like 5

I have nothing to back it up but I'm betting attendance is down this year. Few comments of shows in the show threads and very few reviews in the review forum. Either that or attendance is fine and there is a new fan base that doesn't know of dcp due to other social media.

I went to see the movie Chef instead in Brea. I'll go to Riverside tomorrow.

I'm going to be in the Midwest for 2 weeks, so I won't post about the SoCal shows.

Plus, when I have an opinion some people like to rake me over the coals over it.

Edited by jjeffeory

I thought BD would hit 80 tonight for sure, but I'd guess the judges were reluctant to give it to them their first night back from 6 days without a show. They sure make it look easy though and their hornline has a nice clear, pure sound. Vanguard has greatness lurking, just waiting for them to get a handle on the physicality of their show. It'll be exciting when they do!

I thought BD would hit 80 tonight for sure, but I'd guess the judges were reluctant to give it to them their first night back from 6 days without a show. They sure make it look easy though and their hornline has a nice clear, pure sound. Vanguard has greatness lurking, just waiting for them to get a handle on the physicality of their show. It'll be exciting when they do!

Corps don't usually hit 80 for two more days...

I'm sure BD will hit 80 tomorrow in Riverside, CA.

• Like 1

The reasons why people aren't posting on DCP?

2) Many veteran attendees are somewhat turned off by what is discussed on DCP. The first couple I heard discussing the forum had positive things to say, but after that, the flood gates opened. It mainly came from the young adult crowd, but the attitude towards DCP was very negative.

Statements ranging from "They don't take others' opinions well" to "I am afraid to comment" were audible during the 5-7 hours I spent at the event. I wish I was the bearer of better news! (and I am actually having second thoughts about posting this because my Mom told me if you didn't have good things to say, then don't say it!)

Nice post. And to anyone reading but not registered or commenting: don't be afraid! Your responses would be most welcome.

I'm relatively new to DCP, but I'm an old-time forum junkie. So I don't have any problem posting. But I won't post during a show. I don't want to be distracted.

Having said that, I really do appreciate those who do post during shows. You guys have my thanks.