Need A World Class Junior Corps in NY

It takes a superb administration team that can recruit, solicit donations, and generally not screw up any tiny detail just to put out even a DCA or an Open Class corps. Location isn't the issue, use the Troopers as an example of that.

In the meantime, Cadets and Bluecoats aren't too far away. I also know lots of New Yorkers that have gone to Jersey Surf. New York would be a great place to have a drum corps, but geographically it is not high on the priority list because there's so much already hugging its borders.

Edited by MetalTones2012

Yes, can it happen and what does it take besides money. Great All Age but no junior corps. NY needs a World Class Corps because it's a great place to live!!!

Are you kidding me? Live in VA before you complain.

I think one of the biggest problems with having a corps in NY is the demanding schedule that the competitive bands have in the summer. I can't say exactly what each bands requirements for attendance are, but many of the bands especially the ones in the Syracuse area rehearse fairly frequently throughout the entire summer. I realize not everyone is in High School, but when starting a corps from scratch the local HS kids are going to be the majority of your membership. To threaten to take several kids from a program throughout the season where they are learing the show would likely result in no support from local band directors. Those are the people you need to be friends with in order to get things off the ground.

I think one of the biggest problems with having a corps in NY is the demanding schedule that the competitive bands have in the summer. I can't say exactly what each bands requirements for attendance are, but many of the bands especially the ones in the Syracuse area rehearse fairly frequently throughout the entire summer. I realize not everyone is in High School, but when starting a corps from scratch the local HS kids are going to be the majority of your membership. To threaten to take several kids from a program throughout the season where they are learing the show would likely result in no support from local band directors. Those are the people you need to be friends with in order to get things off the ground.

How early do the HS bands start? Mine usually didnt start camp until the weekend after finals.

Edited by Cappybara

This is going back about 10 years, but when I taught in 2003 and we had bi-weekly rehearsals starting in June, a mini-camp in July and band camp was right around mid-august. I can't speak for other bands but I know the schedules in Central NY are fairly demanding across the board.

Couple that with how expensive New York has gotten over the past few years (well at least NYC anyways). When I marched Cadets, a lot of people were from the New York City metro area. Nowadays, I don't know.

There are several small strictly parade/concert junior corps that are still active in NY state:

Blue Jays--Sayville

Legacy--NYC

Nepperhan Community Center--Yonkers

Queens Village Queens

Royal Court--Dover Plains

St. Patrick's Blue Lancers--Smithtown

I know these aren't world class, nor do they want to be world class, but they are active nonetheless.

Edited by Northern Thunder