Bluecoats 2014 = Garfield Cadets 1983...maybe

Jeebus. If this is so innovative, then I guess Texas High School band is the biggest innovator in DCI.

You're on to something. REALLY! Something to think about.

You're on to something. REALLY! Something to think about.

I wasn't being too sarcastic. Using synths like this has happened several times. This theme, specifically, was even played by a solid band out of different state last year. Similar concept, except they took classical pieces and just messed them up just a tad.

This show definitely seems like something Centenniel or Berkner would do. Berkner, specifically, has had moments where they've integrated synths and a giant front light up guard screen, together. Which has created an effect that bluecoats can't replicate, yet.

It's easily the best use of electronics and effects since they became legal.

Really? Even better than Cadets 2008? :tounge2:

The fan base has already gone nuts for Bluecoats, and the buzz can only have a positive effect on the audience as they anticipate seeing their show live. The effect is not going to be minimized come Indy just because they've already done it. It's so integral to the entire production, I can't imagine a placeholder musical and/or visual alternative being in that spot.

This is true, I was thinking for a competitive "bounce" when that part of the season rolls around

For the record, I have not gone nuts for this yet. It's cool though

I wasn't being too sarcastic. Using synths like this has happened several times. This theme, specifically, was even played by a solid band out of different state last year. Similar concept, except they took classical pieces and just messed them up just a tad.

This show definitely seems like something Centenniel or Berkner would do. Berkner, specifically, has had moments where they've integrated synths and a giant front light up guard screen, together. Which has created an effect that bluecoats can't replicate, yet.

I agree with you.

I really like the Bluecoats show a lot this season but it's kind of got a feeling I got from RACH STAR. It's fun, cool, well performed but I'm not sure if it will win... Top three contender, sure but Crown ripped the stadiums apart that year (same as Coats now, won brass, which Coat's percussion may do this season), but throw BD in the mix, a strong Cadets and a surging Crown? Idk, certainly possible but crowd reactions seldom correlate with scores and placements BUT can certainly boost performance levels.. We'll see. It's an amazingly competitive season and the shows are great..

Don't really know how trendsetting the show is from a design standpoint.............but from a selfish standpoint, it has made ME reconsider my views of synths in drum corps.

Great season, several really cool shows.....my youngest son is considering trying out for a corps next season, so this season has already been alot of fun for us. Re-awakening some passion from an old guy like me and igniting the passion in my son.......great stuff!!

• Like 1

I think trend setting is a little strong when talking about the show itself. I love the show, and hope it has legs to be in medalist contention. But I think trend setting is pushing it. From a conceptual standpoint, the "vague idea" shows have been around for a while. The Cavaliers were masters of concept shows in the early 2000's. As for electronics, I think its safe to say that Bluecoats as a corps are trend setters. But they've been at the front of that push since the beginning. With Kevin Shah and now Vince Oliver leading the way, Coats have had more creative and innovative sound design than anyone else since pretty much day 1.

I love the show, and think its one of the best the Bluecoats have ever had. The corps is executing at a really high level this early. I can't wait to see what they do with it. I don't see it as trend setting though.

Just because the Bluecoats have been the first in DCI to implement electronics/amplification integration in the show that's been done by many high school bands over the last decade, doesn't make them Garfield 83. Not even close.

Let's contextualize a bit - back in 83, no one, I mean NO ONE from high school to college or DCI was doing what Garfield did for the activity in every area - non-symmetrical drill, backwards marching (or should I say running?), non-militaristic and dance-oriented guard, brass book full of innovations, from chromatic scales divided between instruments, to integrated and fully staged visual design, and on and on.

And another comparison - 93 Star was innovative, but nothing nearly as new and influential on the activity as what the Cadets did a decade before. People tend to exaggerate the impact of Star because they left the activity and became something of a legend or myth. Like all the rock stars we lost at age 27 - they seem even larger than life because they died so young, and their legend continues to grow, which is part of the reason why it seems a couple of them actually wanted to part ways with the world at that age.

After 83 everyone was designing and writing and marching (demand took center stage) to a greater or lesser degree like the Cadets. After 93, everyone wasn't following Star. And much of what Star featured wasn't new either. Eg. Body movement took more prominence after Star, yes, but that wasnt anything new. We saw a good amount of body movement in Cadets '89 (remember the Les Mis slow-mo sequences), or the crazy antics of improvised body movement in Fancy Free Ballet in '90 (a piece that the judges even in July were saying was unplayable and unmarchable and were encouraging wholesale changes).

Edited by zigzigZAG