What corps are signed up to do the round robin of parades in Maryland

Never did these parades...don't want to. Pioneer still does three (maybe four ) on the 4th in the Milwaukee area, I used to walk those with the students.

Around here, it was Irondequoit in the AM, Pittsford in the afternoon, and a fireworks somewhere at night for Empire, St Joe's et al.

The last year I did the parades I think we did 6 total. That was a bit much but we earned a whopping huge amount of money. Its amazing what they pay a corps to march in the parades.

I loved arching up at the judges stand and the lady judge holding her ears because we played so loud. That just made us play a little louder. :):)

Jim, Jeff, you now what I'm thinking when I read this:

PARAAAAAAAADES....... :laugh:

SUCK!

• Like 2

Sun Devils are in for all but Towson.

Hanover is done after Towson so we hit the Legion downhill from the start of the parade for some hot dogs and drinks. Bad part we park there (bus and cars) so have to walk up those freaking steps to form for the parade. Dundalk is always at its worse election year as you wait for the flippin' "America is great, vote for me speeches at the reviewing stands".

When we did Havre de Grace it was on Sunday closest to the 4th. You have to get there way too early before the streets (street?) into town is closed. And if you are near the end of the parade you coul dwait 4 hours before you move out. Thank goodness for the food vendors a few blocks away.

Yep, HIGH NOON deadline on Juniata Street in Havre de Grace or else you are up the creek and no paddle around. And the end of the parade is a hike and a half away as well from the start/staging areas. Only possible redeeming quality, aside from the shade and you finish near the bay, is that if you have a place to drop your gear then you can enjoy a more relaxing stroll back to your meeting place. If not, then good luck there.

We love the parades. Sure they are long, but where else are you going to play in front of thousands of appreciative audience members? We play fun crowd-friendly music and even dance with them. And bonus, we get paid for it. Drum and bugle corps is in the entertainment business and I can't think of better way to outreach to the general public.

• Like 1

Never said a thing against the parades, Sean, in terms of being able to play in front of thousands of people. I did it for 8 years with BMR and unfortunately, and slightly regrettably, never had the opportunity with Shenandoah at that time. It's great for outreach, potential membership, and financial stability, no doubt.

However, the haul that gets put into those parades and such has to sap a lot of energy from membership. Not just the percussion who are probably hacking 99% of the parade, but the Hornline (especially the Tuba/Contras) and the guard, as well.

A labor of love, for an activity we all enjoy. To have the good, there must be some hardship. Shenandoah has learned that in spades. Hopefully some fellow instructors I performed alongside and marched under will see that one day.

Edited by Percussion827
  • Like 1

Favorite posts I remember about the Tour de Baltimore were from long distance corps who never did parades like this. Some were just stunned by the crowds and that when they standing still people would talk to them and ask where they were from. We had a long break during the Dundalk parade just starting that long stretch before the end of the parade. Kids were playing with a hose sprayer and one of our Honor Guard guys went over to man the hose so they could play together. He said he was missing being with his grandkids while parading so it helped.

Don't march anymore but miss seeing my buddy Pete from Carolina Gold. Every year we'd look for each other at the strip mall in Dundalk before the day o' parades started. And last Havre de Grace parade we did included Chops, Inc or Music City. Before the parade couple of us were watching the horn line practice and standing in the back so we wouldn't distract them. Horn instructor saw us and said "Hey Hanover, come up front... it sounds better".

Edited by JimF-LowBari