Oregon Crusaders 2014 - Better late than never

Lost me at violin solo.

I'd have no objections if it wasn't miked. Which is also my opinion about woodwinds. (And mallet percussion.)

I'd have no objections if it wasn't miked. Which is also my opinion about woodwinds. (And mallet percussion.)

and what of the increasing amount of brass solos being miked?

All in all, I think they have a good shot at the top 15. Musically, I beleive they can get there, time will tell if they can visually.

OC will be in Denver which I think is the first time most people will see them on Fan Network. Until then, us lucky NW folks will enjoy their show until they leave to go East.

You are spot on. Musically they are 15 or better, maybe even 12 or better. They have stepped it up this year in a big way. But I wouldn't count them out visually just yet ;

The score delay is definitely not helpful.

And so glad this thread is FINALLY started.

Edited by luv4corps

I know it may not be popular opinion, at all, in here, but strings in the marching setting is something I LOVE. There's a high school band in New Mexico I've seen twice live that used a Violin soloist one year, and a cello soloist the next year, and it was absolutely gorgeous, I thought it added a whole new sound and texture to the typical marching arts sound that was refreshing, cool, and very enhancing. They were used in one section as a soloist, and that's it, in both cases all the way through the impact points at that given moment in the show, and I thought it was an amazing addition. Love what Oregon is doing here, they sound great, love the show so far!

I am fine with your opinion :) Actually, it's viola. And it is right for this show.

Edited by luv4corps

The Viola is not mic'd. It is an electric Viola. I know...semantics. But still.

• Like 1

A violin is rarely heard outside of a concert hall where it isn't mic'd.

Indeed. Funny how that works.

• Like 1

I'm loving what I'm hearing/seeing. And I don't mind, actually lean towards like string instrumentation at tasteful moments in the show (they used a guitar in their 2012 show). I'd rather a 'real' instrument over synthesized keyboard 80's sounding violin. Hymn of Axciom looks to be the song of the year.

Edited by c.l.
  • Like 1