Oregon Crusaders 2014 - Better late than never

the biggest challenge OC's brass line has besides the feet in the sound is listening and playing full without sticking out of the ensemble. They are not always listening both directions. The need a little more bottom and mid-voices to balance the rest of the horn line. It is better now, then 2 weeks ago, but still not up to the top 12 in brass yet. I think that will take a couple of more years and maturity. However, it is the best OC brass line to date as far as I can tell.

Big jump for OC in score tonight in Denton... but an even bigger one for Academy and I don't really get that as OC's been solidly ahead of them and tonight they tied. PC is only a few tenths behind them also. OC's guard score tanked after being 4th in Wichita... don't get that either. A lot of don't gets tonight. Didn't see the show. Dunno.

But congrats to OC on a big score jump! 74.1

Can't wait to go to the Portland OC watch party on Saturday for the big SA show. I know that OC still has a lot of fruit to pick up top. Brass and percussion are still well ahead of Academy. Guard and GE dropped lower tonight. I guess OC just hasn't started their big surge yet.

Edited by luv4corps

A lot of don't gets tonight. Didn't see the show. Dunno.

You explained this for yourself - you didn't see the show so you can't speak to what went well/improved for The Academy and Pacific Crest or for what may have gone wrong for the Oregon Crusaders' guard.

I would agree that the other corps overall scores can jump like that, but I do not nderstand the guard score. I also did not see the show, but they would have to seriously have lost their minds to be dropped down to 10th in guard. not in 2 nights anyway. Tomorrow will tell. I expect them to be between 74-75 tomorrow. That is about 3-4 points ahead of last year.

I also did not see the show, but they would have to seriously have lost their minds to be dropped down to 10th in guard.

Exactly. Some serious inconsistencies in judging. Unless there was some sort of catastrophe. For me personally, this is by far my favorite guard in five years.

There were a couple of drops in the guard last night. Would that be enough to tank the scores like that?

Edited by pacman1

I would agree that the other corps overall scores can jump like that, but I do not nderstand the guard score. I also did not see the show, but they would have to seriously have lost their minds to be dropped down to 10th in guard. not in 2 nights anyway. Tomorrow will tell. I expect them to be between 74-75 tomorrow. That is about 3-4 points ahead of last year.

OC has only been judged 4 times in guard

7/12 Denver (M. Turner): 13.7

7/14 Omaha (J. Gilley): 13.6

7/15 Wichita (J. Gilley): 13.9

7/17 Denton (M. Turner): 13.6

It doesn't seem like the guard number was wildly out of line from prior scores, although Turner clearly thought other groups improved more since Denver and changed his mind about the ranking of OC vs Academy, Mandarins, Cascades. If they had a rough show (as pacman1 said above), that's maybe all the explanation that is required.

A couple of drops would not normally change rankings that much. But I also heard that the corps did not do a run through that day or the day before. That may have been part of it. The corps is not as mature as other corps when it comes to performing well ever single time. Anyway, I expect today to be a much better performance.

once this corps gets better at performing during practice, they will start competing for the top 12. But, this year is helping them learn what it takes to get there. Kind of reminds me of the blue coats . It took them many years to break into the top 12 and maintain that level of performance and design. Time will tell for OC, but I love this show and I expect them to maintain 16-15 by finals week.

OC has only been judged 4 times in guard

7/12 Denver (M. Turner): 13.7

7/14 Omaha (J. Gilley): 13.6

7/15 Wichita (J. Gilley): 13.9

7/17 Denton (M. Turner): 13.6

It doesn't seem like the guard number was wildly out of line from prior scores, although Turner clearly thought other groups improved more since Denver and changed his mind about the ranking of OC vs Academy, Mandarins, Cascades. If they had a rough show (as pacman1 said above), that's maybe all the explanation that is required.

Looking at these numbers just shows how tight the corps really are. Wow. A minute point differential means the difference between 5th and 10th place in guard. I have heard that the black/purple raven feathers really stand out if turned to the wrong color. I think when I watch I overlook that. Not sure it that could be a game changer...

It'd be great if they could maintain 16th and I would consider 15th at semis an absolute winner for 2014. Go OC!!

Edited by luv4corps

My first viewing of you guys tonight...I just want to say that I'm impressed with whoever does the choreography for the corps...This is one of those shows that I am really enjoying this year that is so much underrated...I am definitely excited to see you in Allentown...

• Like 1