Pacific Procession - Santa Clara CA

Just in from the show (its a long drive for me). Just a few comments before I head off to bed.

Both BDB and SCVC sound pretty good and have shows that should take them pretty far by the end of the year. However both had a few annoying little things that I feel need fixing.

BDB was using the lamppost props for the first time this season (or so I was told by a BDB parent sitting next to me). Overall, i think they work well in the concept of the show, but created a few problems tonight. First, they are too tall. To get the right effect they can't sway at the top as they are moved around the field. Take them down 2 - 2 1/2 feet so as to lower their center of gravity and/or weight the bases more. They need to move smoothly, like they are floating into their new positions. The gaurd members also need to work on moving the posts in the same consistent way. It doesn't work to have one gaurd member pushing her post while holding her rifle vertically, one holding her rifle in the crook of her elbow, and one with her rifle tucked in her arm pit. I know, picky-picky.

My biggest concern with SCVC was that a few times their narration (which is generally fine) got garbled up under the horns. If the audience can't hear the narration and understand what is being said, it either shouldn't be there at all, or needs to be timed to a better spot. Otherwise, I think their show is excellent and should take them far as the season progresses. Overall, I think they have the stronger GE (compared to BDB) at the moment.

Mandarins continue to improve as a corp. Show is competent, enjoyable, but not necessarily memorable.

Crossmen. When they took the field the person next to me commented, "Looks like we're in for some cowboys and indians". "Uh, no. They're gypsies". "............................... oh." Crossmen play well enough, and march well enough, but if the show is about gypsies, then please show me things that convince me I'm seeing gypsies! Gypsies did not drive Calistoga wagons! Gypsies wear bright colored bandanas! Gypsy tamborines have long ribbons and streamers that flash and float when they dance! Gypsies dance with abandon! The Crossmen ar a fine corp, but if the only way we know the theme is gypsies is from hearing the program title, it will be hard to get very far. Attention to a few details will do a lot.

Blue Knights. Very much liked the new uniforms. I was concerned at first that the gaurd uniforms were not significantly different enough from the other marching members, but as the show went on it actually works OK. I attribute that to the great flags the gaurd makes frequent use of. Great colors and very elegent designs. Overall a very nice field presence. I did note a similar problem with some of their narration as I did with SCVC. There were at least two instances later in the show where it became lost under the horns. I will be interested in seeing this show once they complete and install their intended closer. Hopefully it will be emotionally powerful, as the show seems to be building nicely to a big lush finish. All in all, a very enjoyable show.

SCV. Very good show, with nice pacing and well placed big moments. Visually it was the most competent show of the evening. I was not surprised that they cracked 80. A comment about the trombones. As a non-musician, maybe I can't pick up on the subtle (and supposedly significant) difference they make in the opening hit, but I didn't see them as being either helpful or harmful. And since this was the only place I saw them used, I was left wondering how they really fit in. As I said, maybe my ear is simply not sophisticated enough to pick up on a difference that everybody else hears, but to me it came across more as "We are allowed to use them, so ................ I guess we will".

In looking back on my comments, one might think I was disappointed or did not enjoy the corps. I apologize if I give that impression. As always I had a great time, was emersed in watching and listening to the corps, and left happy that I had the opportunity to see these great kids perform.

Just in from the show (its a long drive for me). Just a few comments before I head off to bed.

Both BDB and SCVC sound pretty good and have shows that should take them pretty far by the end of the year. However both had a few annoying little things that I feel need fixing.

BDB was using the lamppost props for the first time this season (or so I was told by a BDB parent sitting next to me). Overall, i think they work well in the concept of the show, but created a few problems tonight. First, they are too tall. To get the right effect they can't sway at the top as they are moved around the field. Take them down 2 - 2 1/2 feet so as to lower their center of gravity and/or weight the bases more. They need to move smoothly, like they are floating into their new positions. The gaurd members also need to work on moving the posts in the same consistent way. It doesn't work to have one gaurd member pushing her post while holding her rifle vertically, one holding her rifle in the crook of her elbow, and one with her rifle tucked in her arm pit. I know, picky-picky.

My biggest concern with SCVC was that a few times their narration (which is generally fine) got garbled up under the horns. If the audience can't hear the narration and understand what is being said, it either shouldn't be there at all, or needs to be timed to a better spot. Otherwise, I think their show is excellent and should take them far as the season progresses. Overall, I think they have the stronger GE (compared to BDB) at the moment.

Mandarins continue to improve as a corp. Show is competent, enjoyable, but not necessarily memorable.

Crossmen. When they took the field the person next to me commented, "Looks like we're in for some cowboys and indians". "Uh, no. They're gypsies". "............................... oh." Crossmen play well enough, and march well enough, but if the show is about gypsies, then please show me things that convince me I'm seeing gypsies! Gypsies did not drive Calistoga wagons! Gypsies wear bright colored bandanas! Gypsy tamborines have long ribbons and streamers that flash and float when they dance! Gypsies dance with abandon! The Crossmen ar a fine corp, but if the only way we know the theme is gypsies is from hearing the program title, it will be hard to get very far. Attention to a few details will do a lot.

Blue Knights. Very much liked the new uniforms. I was concerned at first that the gaurd uniforms were not significantly different enough from the other marching members, but as the show went on it actually works OK. I attribute that to the great flags the gaurd makes frequent use of. Great colors and very elegent designs. Overall a very nice field presence. I did note a similar problem with some of their narration as I did with SCVC. There were at least two instances later in the show where it became lost under the horns. I will be interested in seeing this show once they complete and install their intended closer. Hopefully it will be emotionally powerful, as the show seems to be building nicely to a big lush finish. All in all, a very enjoyable show.

SCV. Very good show, with nice pacing and well placed big moments. Visually it was the most competent show of the evening. I was not surprised that they cracked 80. A comment about the trombones. As a non-musician, maybe I can't pick up on the subtle (and supposedly significant) difference they make in the opening hit, but I didn't see them as being either helpful or harmful. And since this was the only place I saw them used, I was left wondering how they really fit in. As I said, maybe my ear is simply not sophisticated enough to pick up on a difference that everybody else hears, but to me it came across more as "We are allowed to use them, so ................ I guess we will".

In looking back on my comments, one might think I was disappointed or did not enjoy the corps. I apologize if I give that impression. As always I had a great time, was emersed in watching and listening to the corps, and left happy that I had the opportunity to see these great kids perform.

Good review. I chuckled at first when I saw the wagons in Crossmen's show too, but then I was reminded of a conversation that I had with an American friend who now lives in Bulgaria and is married to a Bulgarian. That country is a country where gypsies are alive and well, real, and sometimes kicking it around in things that DO look like what's in Crossmen's show:

Gypsy_wagon,_Grandborough_Fields_-_geogr

enhanced-buzz-21675-1340663890-4.jpg

...and just a fyi, Gypsies (Romani peoples) are NOT very well liked in many countries such as Bulgaria and Romania. They're talked down to and demonized by the locals there as lazy criminals; discrimination against them is rampant. I just wanted to focus on this minority group people for a second, who have been taken advantage of and abused over the course of history. They're very much still around, and they have a very rich history.

_49045141_romani_europe_304.gif

• Like 3

Removed duplicate post. Wonder why IP Board does that sometimes?

Edited by jjeffeory

Triplicate posts are lame. Removed.

Edited by jjeffeory

World Class

Santa Clara Vanguard 80.900

Blue Knights72.000

Crossmen 68.400

Mandarins 63.500

Not sure why Crossmen haven't broken a 70 yet, they usually do by this time. Looks like they're not moving at all.

World Class

Santa Clara Vanguard 80.900

Blue Knights72.000

Crossmen 68.400

Mandarins 63.500

Not sure why Crossmen haven't broken a 70 yet, they usually do by this time. Looks like they're not moving at all.

Yea they should. I think all the scores should have been a few points higher.

Just some highlights off the top of my head:

• All the corps shows looked completed - although all shows looked like more could be added.
  • Santa Clara Big Band sponsored by SCV played some cool jazz in their premier performance. Most were alums including the set drummer who marched Cadets.
  • The wind was brutal for most of the guard - but only a few drops.
  • Blue Devils B - wow. Very impressed with this high energy show. Their show now has street lamps which move around the field. I wonder if they will add illumination like BDA has in their spotlight props.
  • Vanguard Cadets have one of the most beautiful guard uniforms, both of them. (They pull off the first one to reveal a gold tops). The story line is engaging as we following a couple on their journey. The green metallic silks at the end are brilliant both literally and design-wise.
  • Very impressed with Mandarins' brass both sound and visuals. Real pristine horn 'snaps'.
  • Ballads: Crossmen have an amazing ballad along with Blue Knights. Crossmen's soloist really nailed it last night.
  • Crossmen's show is so engaging - the mix of Caravan and Carmen is cleverly written. Their 'rock out' section had the audience buzzing.
  • Blue Knights show grows on me every time I see it. The story is intriguing, different, without being maudlin.
  • We know now where Vanguard's yell is located in the show (near the end). Wondering if there was a way to keep the deep shadow cast by their backfield conductor onto the large 50-yard line prop. Also, their opening impact - that WALL of sound - could peel paint. What a moment…trombones et. al.! 10498050_10152268518833920_3252084611953
  • Time & Content: Loved the early start and early ending, but disappointed that we didn't get an encore or at least "Clowns". Lots of SCV alumni in the audience who would have enjoyed that.
  • Full house - I heard they actually had to stop selling tickets as there wasn't enough room. Great intimate venue, though higher seating could have provided better viewing for drills. (I was in the last row and couldn't see the formations.)

Overall a wonderful night. With only six corps, it was not too long and just right for the older and younger sets.

Edited by MAV
  • Like 1

IF YOU DON'T HAVE FULL PANELS THEN DON'T JUDGE THE SHOW!

Or just let the Corps put out a half arse effort, with the fans in attendance offereed half price admittance.

If DCI thinks the shows arn't worth their undivided attention by assigning full judging panels, then why should we give these scores any more than a half arse glance as well... that mirrors exactly their efforts with it ?

Just some highlights off the top of my head:

[...]

• We know now where Vanguard's yell is located in the show (near the end). Wondering if there was a way to keep the deep shadow cast by their backfield conductor onto the large 50-yard line prop. Also, their opening impact - that WALL of sound - could peel paint. What a moment…trombones et. al.!

I actually liked the shadow effect although I assume it would only show up in a small venue with a setting sun. Hopefully, they didn't get a penalty for having an extra player on the field.

10463874_10204243614154335_2835658161511

• Like 2

Or just let the Corps put out a half arse effort, with the fans in attendance offereed half price admittance.

If DCI thinks the shows arn't worth their undivided attention by assigning full judging panels, then why should we give these scores any more than a half arse glance as well... that mirrors exactly their efforts with it ?

And then we'll have a nice, big DCI season schedule of 19 total shows across the country.

The partial judging panels are a cost-saving measure for SHOW HOSTS, primarily to allow smaller shows in frequently off-the-beaten-path locations to survive. And while Santa Clara isn't out-of-the-way, remember that this is the SECOND DCI show in this area already this summer.

• Like 3