Pioneer 2014

As far as I can tell, there is no thread yet for this year's Pioneer show, "Joy!" (If I'm wrong, please merge this one into it.)

I've been inspired to start this after realizing through watching their Muncie performance on the Fan Network (although of course it's been noted in mingusmonk's thread for some time), that their repertoire includes the hymn, "We Gather Together." Although apparently a staple for more than one hundred years at services on (American) Thanksgiving (with roots, according to Wikipedia, stretching back to 1597 and the Dutch victory over the Spanish at the Battle of Turnhout), I'd never listened to the original choral version until checking Youtube now, but I know the tune well, because for more than a decade, it has been the opening number in the Cleveland Tubachristmas set arranged by the late Bill Park. Having now heard the choral versions, I think I prefer the instrumental arrangements. Pioneer is playing it a bit tentatively now, but I think the piece could shine. (Though maybe they could cut the ride cymbal there?)

Having only seen that one Pioneer performance, I'm curious: what's on those rolling frames, which were still uncovered at Muncie?

That would be astonishing, and I'm sorry to say I think it unlikely. First let's see them climb back into the top 25.

That would be astonishing, and I'm sorry to say I think it unlikely. First let's see them climb back into the top 25.

Mark my word, it will happen. I'm saying by 2016.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

Pioneer had a couple of the panels up on the frames at the Scouts show. They were of southside Milwaukee churches - St. Stanilaus, The Basilica of St Joshephat and I'm not sure about the third but I think it is the St. Joseph's convent chapel. Also, their original parish, St. Patrick's. I might be wrong. There was also a stained glass panel that may also be from a Milwaukee church.

I enjoyed their show. It is written well for the abilities of the corps. The guard is bigger this year and has a very challenging book. Brass line is larger as well and once they develop more stamina I think the show will come alive. I'm looking forward to seeing them in Cedarburg and Whitewater within the next couple days. It looks like they are stepping up their game this year.

Let's slow down on the predictions in placement within the next three years unless you were being sarcastic,bmjfelts1988.

Go Pioneer! You have a very entertaining show.

Better every day!

Edited by Brian Tuma

All it would take is to get the right staff in there (and I've heard some rumors lately about a few big names who are planning on jumping in and building this corps) and of course a good strong recruiting effort. It can, and will happen. Just trust me. In two years, you will look back at this thread and say "holy ####! He was right".

You do realize right that Carolina Crown went from 16th in 2002 to 10th in 2003 right. Now look at them. They won last year. Anything is possible. Need I remind you of Star Of Indiana 1985. They didn't place anywhere in 1984 because they DIDN'T EXIST. Then BOOOOOM!!!!! 10th place in 85. All it took was the right staff and strong recruiting. You just have no idea what is brewing right now.

Optimism is a good thing. I believe they have the infrastructure to achieve it. They certainly have a huge base for recruitment within the Milwaukee/N. Illinois area.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!