Cadets vs. Crown

Anyone know the rehearsal spots for cadets, crown, or bloo for tonight? I can't make the show but am down in the area during the day.

Never mind, found them. :)

Dude, I. Am. Excited. For. Tonight!! That stadium is FANTASTIC!!!! And I have PERFECT seats.

This is kind of unrelated, but I absolutely LOVE these types of posts: DCP posters excited after seeing a night of drum corps, DCP posters excited to see a night of drum corps, etc. It's sooooo easy to over think shows, or to judge shows with our critical, analytical hats on; it's awesome to just be flat-out excited for drum corps!! I have no personal horse/bias anymore in drum corps but it's fun to see others hype on just watching performances! Good for you, and I hope you have a great time!!

I'm really surprised by peoples' overall reaction to Crown this year. I may be in some super tiny minority here, but I don't see at all how the trampolines clutter the field. They're all pretty far out to each side and aren't very large, and there's still a good majority of the field left to the members, as evidences by the drill, which from what I've seen hasn't been hindered by the props. The frisbees at this point still just kinda fly anywhere, yes, but it's still a pretty interesting experiment that they've got time to fine-tune (and I'm sure they are). I mean, I just couldn't imagine where DCI would be if there weren't programs like Re:Rite of Spring and Out of this World. I understand and cherish the need for tradition and minimalism, but I also understand and cherish the need to take wild risks, and as evidenced by the scores thus far, it's not as if Crown is struggling to keep up with anybody.

I just think a lot of these complaints are only made JUST because people see props on the field and are immediately put off, and no matter what the corps may do with said props, it'll always be negative. Or I could be wrong, and there could be some validity to the arguments against the trampolines and frisbees. I just do wish there was a little more open-mindedness from longstanding fans of DCI.

I don't know if I think they're cluttered or not. I think the majority of props seem to either be mobile (like BD's poles last year, or Crown's rolling concert bass drums), or immobile but on the outskirts of the field (like SCV's things last season). Crown has large immobile "stuff" scattered throughout the middle of the field. That type of stuff can be distracting for some viewers (and some judges), so it's one of those things where the effect has to be amazing to keep the distraction to a minimum.

One example is Cadets 1995. Pulling the stomp boxes on and off the field was CRAZY distracting (especially the audible noise dragging them off quickly during the transition before the 'parade' segment), but the effect of the dancers/corps during "Swing, Swing, Swing" was worth it.

This is kind of unrelated, but I absolutely LOVE these types of posts: DCP posters excited after seeing a night of drum corps, DCP posters excited to see a night of drum corps, etc. It's sooooo easy to over think shows, or to judge shows with our critical, analytical hats on; it's awesome to just be flat-out excited for drum corps!! I have no personal horse/bias anymore in drum corps but it's fun to see others hype on just watching performances! Good for you, and I hope you have a great time!!

I had an ABSOLUTELY HYSTERICALLY FANTASTIC time tonight!! Ran into a bunch of Alum I marched with, and my voice is gone from screaming. Those hornlines are absolutely incredible. My heart will always be with Cadets, but I'm happy to say that I was pleased with each and every show tonight!! Sad that this will be the last show I will see live this season. :sad:

I had an ABSOLUTELY HYSTERICALLY FANTASTIC time tonight!! Ran into a bunch of Alum I marched with, and my voice is gone from screaming. Those hornlines are absolutely incredible. My heart will always be with Cadets, but I'm happy to say that I was pleased with each and every show tonight!! Sad that this will be the last show I will see live this season. :sad:

I agree that while Cadets are "my fav" always, the corps top to bottom were very enjoyable and impressive. The top 3 tonight - wow - amazing!

I don't think it's closed-mindedness, it's that the show doesn't really work right now, wheras you can't ever say the same for BD. You may not like it but it is very close to a cohesive whole at any given time. Crown is not there yet.

You seriously think BD's shows always "work". Seriously? Is that why their shows are heatedly debated on DCP every year? I guess they "work" so well that must cause the debate huh?

Crown doesn't need to add. They need to subtract and clarify the message. The trampolines should be the first to go.

Chuck those mufflers away, too. Or paint them to look cosmic. SOMETHING to tie them into the show rather than just the name of the piece ("Shadow Behind the Iron Sun").

And the only other people playing on the field is...a synth. Really? All the cool interweaving of songs and melodies in the opener and closer and then they just put a muffler song pretty much note-for-note on the field? I'd say ADD some playing. Almost a minute of diddle on a muffler is BORING.

And another thing to subtract: The 30+-second synth solo. I get it: Space is mostly nothing. That doesn't mean your show should be. The synth is being played by a member hidden behind a gong. But nothing else is happening, so my eyes wander the field. "Are those two synth players up front playing? They look like they are, but they aren't really moving. What's the hornling doing? Nothing. Guard? Nothing." Does their GE plummet because of this? Is their show next year going to be "Zero" and they walk onto the field and do nothing, but get points?

The echo brass feature: AWESOME. The echo synth feature: NO.

I just think they missed a lot of easy opportunities and made some wrong decisions. I get that they wanted to be different than all the other space shows, but then we're left with this.

JamMan says:

And another thing to subtract: The 30+-second synth solo. I get it: Space is mostly nothing. That doesn't mean your show should be. The synth is being played by a member hidden behind a gong. But nothing else is happening, so my eyes wander the field. "Are those two synth players up front playing? They look like they are, but they aren't really moving. What's the hornling doing? Nothing. Guard? Nothing." Does their GE plummet because of this? Is their show next year going to be "Zero" and they walk onto the field and do nothing, but get points?

I don't know if this is an accurate read of CROWN's show, but BD staff love it for 2015.