Pageant of Drums - Michigan City (right now)

Twas a great night of drum corps at beautiful Ames Field.

I had the annual panic attack of when this 7 PM show started. Was Ames Field on Central Time or Eastern Time? Luckily, there was an Indiana map in the car, which included a kooky dividing line through the northwest part of Indiana. Rensselaer and Hebron are on Central Time, but how about Michigan City?

How many fans show up an hour early, thinking that Michigan City is on Alllentown time?

Ames Field is a great venue each year for this Cavaliers-hosted show. There are surround-sound neighborhood fireworks at dusk, a DQ due east from the stadium, and end-of-night half price concessions, where brats drop from $3.50 to $1.75, and whole Domino's pizzas fall from $10 to $5.

"I remember this bathroom," someone said in the men's room.

And another dude replied, "I hope they were good memories."

The Michigan CIty High School band played the Banner, in full uniform. It was a comfortable night, weather-wise,

Open Class corps Legends opened the show, followed by Colt Cadets and Genesis.

At the end of the terrific Genesis show, several of us in the stands asked, "Is this an Open Class or World Class corps?" Genesis received a genuine standing ovation at the end of their wonderful program.

At intermission, we were treated to a small toy drone plane hovering above the field.

The PA system was on the near-fritz all evening, with barely audible announcements. The sound was excellent behind the grandstand, just not in the grandstand.

The Colts show included creamy flag work, dreamy musical charts, and very distracting narration. One can readily tell this Oz show through music. Allow the music to tell the story.

In the DCI marketplace, the Colts are selling last season T-shirts for 5 bucks, but my torso is not S not 3XL. Sigh.

The Troopers have another Troopers show - and the crowd loves it. In this tale, the opening narration works.

A week ago, the Troopers souvie stand added handsome $15 business card cases - but I am convinced they should market them as Abe Lincoln coin holders. I plan to stock my case with chewing gum, mints, or shiny pennies.

When I watched the DCI at the Movies event on June 23, it looked like the Phantom Regiment guard ended the show in brown. But in person, the guard is now in a more appropriate black. Maybe there was just an old picture tube at AMC East that night. Or Akron smog.

Excellent flag work. Good brass, yet not spine-tingling. At the conclusion of this show, please lower the hem line on the black robe on the last swan, down to the turf, to hide her bird legs.

Cavaliers, Immortal. Indeed. Loved it. Do yourseld a favor, and do NOT watch the marimba circular chase bit - but watch what the rest of the corps is doing. WOW! Fantastic drill.

A great night of music. Hoping for the same in Lisle - where thunderstorms are expected Sunday night.

• Like 2

Great comments!

• Like 1

Videos up on the Fan Network, and since I know it will probably get read by a grand total of 3 people on the Open Class forum, GENESIS! I was pretty worried when I saw they were completely switching programs in the Spring, but man, that's going to do very well in August. Watch out Open Class, and World. They're continuing to get stronger and stronger year in year out. That's a big corps too.

Edited by DrumManTx

Videos up on the Fan Network, and since I know it will probably get read by a grand total of 3 people on the Open Class forum, GENESIS! I was pretty worried when I saw they were completely switching programs in the Spring, but man, that's going to do very well in August. Watch out Open Class, and World. They're continuing to get stronger and stronger year in year out. That's a big corps too.

I saw them in Dixon last night and came away very impressed!

I was there and yes, Genesis was very impressive; the person I was with ranked it the thrid best show of the night (behind cavies and regiment) but above...

their hornline got better as they went along

I was there and yes, Genesis was very impressive; the person I was with ranked it the thrid best show of the night (behind cavies and regiment) but above...

their hornline got better as they went along

On the Fan Network video, about a third of Genesis's volume comes from their synthesizer, especially in their opener and closer. Pretty hideous, actually. Would I be right to guess it didn't sound that way live?