Storytelling in Drum Corps  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Preference?

• Abstract concepts/themes
    • Suggested storyline/themes
    • Explicit storyline
    • No storyline or connection between pieces of the show
    • No preference

This is something I've been intrigued by in the past - how fans react to explicit storytelling versus suggested storylines/themes versus completely abstract concepts/themes. This is what fascinates me about drum corps - a show can have so many 'meanings', or it can have one potent 'meaning'. Or it can have no 'meaning' at all! A few examples (just how I interpreted these shows - others could've interpreted them differently):

Abstract: 2010 Phantom Regiment, 2014 Bluecoats

Suggested: 2012 Bluecoats, 2013 Carolina Crown

Explicit: 2013 Madison Scouts, 2011/13 Phantom Regiment (maybe?)

Abstract concepts/themes seem to deal with more raw emotions, but they don't have as much context. They also leave things up to the audience (not exclusive to abstract concepts/themes).

Suggested storylines/themes seem to deal with more specific things (which allow them to have a point of view), and are less broad (obviously) conceptually.

Explicit storylines are cut-and-dry, old-fashioned, no-nonsense drum corps. They have a point to get across and they get it across with minimal leeway as to audience interpretation.

I've always thought all three were acceptable and enjoyable, but I seem to enjoy abstract/sugested storylines much more. Any thoughts/preferences? All opinions/viewpoints are welcome, and encouraged!

Also, since I'm young and relatively unacquainted with old-school Drum Corps, how have these story telling tendencies changed over the years? Are there any trends or patterns?

Edited by jackroberts
  • Like 1

I love abstract thought to begin with. I don't look at a show necessarily having to mean anything. I prefer to take it or leave it.

• Like 1

I want cool music and cool visuals that leave me moved and wanting more.

Don't care how they do it.

• Like 4

I'm not sure I totally agree with 2013 Madison - although the field show was military themed, the title of the show "Corps of Brothers, 75 Years of Survival" seemed intended for Madison's 75th anniversary. When Madison first announced the show the day after finals in 2012, I expected the show to be about the Madison Scouts. It obviously took a different twist when they put the production on the field. I was a very good show though, very enjoyable.

It all depends on how it's designed and executed.

I've seen a great number of poorly designed abstract concept shows and I've also seen a good number of awesomely designed explicit storylined programs.

One common thing I noticed in programs that don't succeed when attempting any type of storyline/concept program is when they EXPECT you to KNOW the story before you watch their production. The audience should be treated like a clean slate, meaning, a corps should design like they are introducing something the audience has never seen or heard of before. That way, we as the audience can feel like we are involved with the development of the program and can become fully invested into what is happening in front of us. Programs should not feel like we need to do some prior homework to understand the program.

Edited by archbananas

I'm not sure I totally agree with 2013 Madison - although the field show was military themed, the title of the show "Corps of Brothers, 75 Years of Survival" seemed intended for Madison's 75th anniversary. When Madison first announced the show the day after finals in 2012, I expected the show to be about the Madison Scouts. It obviously took a different twist when they put the production on the field. I was a very good show though, very enjoyable.

That's a very good point. Shows almost always change slightly from inception to final product.

2010 PR was not abstract IMO, but the specific story of Southwest Native Americans. "The title of the album is quoted from an Iroquai Indian who Kamen met as a little boy and symbolizes "a glimpse of the future in the light of the past." As a committed humanist and a devotee to the American Indian, Kamen chose to mark the new millennium with a symphony that tells a story about the past that makes us consider the future with a message of compassion and humanity."

This is the programming I prefer, but also enjoy other "story" shows as my taste leans. Was Florida Suite by SS among this category? That's another discussion......

I want every story told instrumentally & visually, not vocally.

• Like 1

All of the above.

I like that they all have different styles and do things differently.

Limiting their choices, whether by rules or score guidelines or pressure or bellyaching would not be good for drum corps or the fans in general.

• Like 1

This is something I've been intrigued by in the past - how fans react to explicit storytelling versus suggested storylines versus completely abstract concepts. This is what fascinates me about drum corps - a show can have so many meanings, or it can have one potent meaning. Or it can have no meaning at all! A few examples (just how I interpreted these shows - others could've interpreted them differently):

Abstract: 2010 Phantom Regiment, 2014 Bluecoats

Suggested: 2012 Bluecoats, 2013 Carolina Crown

Explicit: 2013 Madison Scouts, 2011/13 Phantom Regiment (maybe?)

Abstract storylines seem to deal with more raw emotions, but they don't have as much context. They also leave things up to the audience (not exclusive to abstract stories).

Suggested storylines seem to deal with more specific things (which allow them to have a point of view), and are less broad (obviously) conceptually.

Explicit storylines are cut-and-dry, old-fashioned, no-nonsense drum corps. They have a point to get across and they get it across with minimal leeway as to audience interpretation.

I've always thought all three were acceptable and enjoyable, but I seem to enjoy abstract/sugested storylines much more. Any thoughts/preferences? All opinions/viewpoints are welcome, and encouraged!

Also, since I'm young and relatively unacquainted with old-school Drum Corps, how have these story telling tendencies changed over the years? Are there any trends or patterns?

When you say, "storytelling" do you mean theme? I don't think Bluecoats 2014 has a story they're telling, I think they have a broad (not abstract) theme that the exploit/develop/explore musically and visually. I think Crown 2013 had a more suggested story/theme last year while BD 2013 was more of an abstract theme or maybe a story. Explicit storytelling would be something obvious like Phantom 2008: something with characters, a "plot" and an arc (there's a slave being oppressed, he rises up against his slave drivers and starts a revolution).

Personally, I just want a show that "works." Something with great music & a visual that with the two working together in concert for some purpose. Cavaliers 2007 (was that the Billy Joel show?) didn't really have obvious characters or a story, but the way that the visual worked in conjunction with the music was awesome (the fugue part is a specific section I can think of where the visual development worked great with the music development). Phantom the year they did Firebird and the Cage piece was a WONDERFUL representation of music + visual working in tandem. I dug Cadets 95 for it's obvious "story" of 'a day in the life of a small town' type of thing. Or even something as simplistic as Madison 1995 where it's just great music, visual design & performance. I like shows where everything works together; I don't necessarily prefer a story or anything, though I think often shows with obvious stories can have a bit more depth and more "stuff" to grasp onto on repeat viewings.