Storytelling in Drum Corps  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Preference?

• Abstract concepts/themes
    • Suggested storyline/themes
    • Explicit storyline
    • No storyline or connection between pieces of the show
    • No preference

When you say, "storytelling" do you mean theme? I don't think Bluecoats 2014 has a story they're telling, I think they have a broad (not abstract) theme that the exploit/develop/explore musically and visually. I think Crown 2013 had a more suggested story/theme last year while BD 2013 was more of an abstract theme or maybe a story. Explicit storytelling would be something obvious like Phantom 2008: something with characters, a "plot" and an arc (there's a slave being oppressed, he rises up against his slave drivers and starts a revolution).

Personally, I just want a show that "works." Something with great music & a visual that with the two working together in concert for some purpose. Cavaliers 2007 (was that the Billy Joel show?) didn't really have obvious characters or a story, but the way that the visual worked in conjunction with the music was awesome (the fugue part is a specific section I can think of where the visual development worked great with the music development). Phantom the year they did Firebird and the Cage piece was a WONDERFUL representation of music + visual working in tandem. I dug Cadets 95 for it's obvious "story" of 'a day in the life of a small town' type of thing. Or even something as simplistic as Madison 1995 where it's just great music, visual design & performance. I like shows where everything works together; I don't necessarily prefer a story or anything, though I think often shows with obvious stories can have a bit more depth and more "stuff" to grasp onto on repeat viewings.

I also meant 'theme' - I'll change the original post.

It all depends on how it's designed and executed.

I've seen a great number of poorly designed abstract concept shows and I've also seen a good number of awesomely designed explicit storylined programs.

One common thing I noticed in programs that don't succeed when attempting any type of storyline/concept program is when they EXPECT you to KNOW the story before you watch their production. The audience should be treated like a clean slate, meaning, a corps should design like they are introducing something the audience has never seen or heard of before. That way, we as the audience can feel like we are involved with the development of the program and can become fully invested into what is happening in front of us. Programs should not feel like we need to do some prior homework to understand the program.

i agree with you but i also disagree. If there is something interesting that I need to look up hey that is great! I just learned something. Or if it's a subject I am aware of and this program made me dig a little deeper.. Great! One story line that I just could not stomach was Dance Derby of the century and I have made it pretty clear I didn't like that show or Jingle Bells etc. My dislike of narration pretty much goes across the board. If it's just a little and in my case pre recorded ok I can overlook it. If however it's done by some youngster trying to sound hip and all in my face then no I do not like it.

• Like 1

I want cool music and cool visuals that leave me moved and wanting more.

Don't care how they do it.

yup. that.

i agree with you but i also disagree. If there is something interesting that I need to look up hey that is great! I just learned something. Or if it's a subject I am aware of and this program made me dig a little deeper.. Great! One story line that I just could not stomach was Dance Derby of the century and I have made it pretty clear I didn't like that show or Jingle Bells etc. My dislike of narration pretty much goes across the board. If it's just a little and in my case pre recorded ok I can overlook it. If however it's done by some youngster trying to sound hip and all in my face then no I do not like it.

You know from that perspective, I completely agree with you!

I also agree with you on the Dance Derby...... Was a bit... Distasteful for me (for lack of a better term) .

I think a show that would satisfy both our needs is a show that is designed to showcase a concept / storyline that is understood at a superficial level, but upon further research, the story expands to a much greater one. This will allow the second or third viewing of the show become like a new experience, seeing things differently than when you saw it the first time.

• Like 1

i agree with you but i also disagree. If there is something interesting that I need to look up hey that is great! I just learned something. Or if it's a subject I am aware of and this program made me dig a little deeper.

I totally agree. Ultimately art is at its most successful when it inspires deeper examination & learning from its audience.

• Like 2

That's a very good point. Shows almost always change slightly from inception to final product.

some change a lot, and should definitely this year.

Is there any show this year where this is no connection between the pieces of the show? A number of people have checked this preference but I don't think I've seen a show recently where there's no rhyme or reason to what's happening on the field. Perhaps it's just my own interpretation...

Is there any show this year where this is no connection between the pieces of the show? A number of people have checked this preference but I don't think I've seen a show recently where there's no rhyme or reason to what's happening on the field. Perhaps it's just my own interpretation...

Any time I've felt that way I change my mind upon repeat viewings. Although, for some really old shows I still feel that way.