2014 Alumni Spectacular

I would have thought that Mighty St. Joes would be a part of the Alumni Show seeing its in their back yard!

It could be that some of the players are marching with the Hamburg Kingsmen that morning ... just a thought

:-)

BY

Edited by bariman50

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome back to Sahlen's Stadium in Rochester, New York, site of the 2014 Drum Corps Associates Alumni Spectacular! I am your host, Kevin Gamin, Managing News Editor of Drum Corps Planet, and I will be bringing you LIVE From the Stands coverage of all of today's performances. It's been a wet morning (here's today's forecast), though the rain has let up for the time being, but the temperature will remain in the 70s throughout the day and, with luck, the sprinkles will go around the stadium.

Here is the schedule, in order of appearance:

Hamburg Kingsmen
Toronto Optimists Alumni
Steel City Ambassadors Alumni
Reilly Raiders
Crusaders Sr Corps of Boston
New York Skyliners Alumni
Preston Scout House
Park City Pride
Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni
Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni

We'll be underway soon!

By the way, I spoke to Mike Symonds, who is handling the Fan Network from DCA's end. Yesterday, they took the Prelims webcast OFF of the stadium network and used a 3rd party connection for the last block of corps. That's why the stream was much more stable from Bush on. They are going to use that connection for the Alumni Spectacular. For Finals, Time Warner is at the stadium now to work on making sure the connection is stable, dedicated, and at the promised speed.

First on the field is the Kingsmen Alumni from Hamburg, New York.

The corps takes the field in an arc formation. A soprano soloist starts the show. Drum line is behind the arc with color guard behind them. The White Sabers honor guard is on the side 1 20, front side line, providing their services to the Kingsmen Alumni.

Second tune. Baritones playing a unison melody with great tone and control. Sopranos take over the melody. 6 contrabasses are handling the bottom end.

Drum break. Honor guard is making their way in front of the corps so it is time for our first color presentation of the day!

Long Way to Tipparery serves as the color presentation. This is the first time I've heard this song played on the field and it's a perfect selection as well as one for which the Kingsmen stand out.

Saber Dance is up. Sopranos play the melody first, then the baritones take over on the key modulation. The guard is pretending to fence with their equipment. Since two of them are actual sabers, they're right in the middle.