First regional this week! DCI La Crosse.

Ok, got home and had a chance to take a look at things...is it gonna rain, yes indeed, when exactly is the question. Glanced at a few models...still some disagreement on what will happen. Will update this again in the morning...sorry can't be of any further help this evening

Edited by rainshdw08

Ahhh ok. thanks!!! Stil baffles me why they would close practice to the public...I mean I get not "hanging out" with the members to distract them, but one couldn't sit on the sidelines or the stadium (if there is one) and watch? That's just crazy to me.

They do closed rehearsals because the stadium administration wants to limit access and use of the field/stands. It also reduces liability and security issues (if this has been answered, sorry. just now reading the thread).

• Like 1

A lot depends on how much rain the venue can take. Looking at the morning radar and the models, it looks like quite a bit of rain and thunderstorms at some point this morning and/or afternoon. There's a chance that the rain could press south of the area before show time. But will the field be "lost" by that time? If it is artificial turf, then recovery would obviously be much quicker than if the field is grass.

These kinds of systems are what makes my job challenging. As I type this the models are still all over the place of where this system will eventually lay out. The biggest questions in my mind are: How far north will the warm front make it? and how fast will the system progress through the area?

SPC (Storm Prediction Center http://www.spc.noaa.gov/) has LaCrosse right on the edge of the "Slight Risk" for severe weather this morning with the bulleye looking to be around the northern Illinois and Eastern Iowa areas. This is a bit further south placement of where they had it last night. Another update should be out early this afternoon or when they see fit.

I have seen NWS LaCrosse lower their percentages for rain over the last 12 hours, it was 90% for today last night, 80% at 4am and now 70%...this just shows all the uncertainties with this system, not really a judge of if it'll rain. Severe weather is very hard, if not impossible, to forecast exactly where it's gonna happen. Because there are still lots of variables and its forecast to happen in 6 to 12 hours, this is one of those systems on the impossible side.

I know now this will be a nowcast kind of day as I said a few days ago. it's gonna be a wait until this afternoon and see how the system is progessing until anyone has a better idea of what's gonna happen.

If you want a good radar, use this: http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=arx at the top left of the page under short range images, click on "Loop" just to the right of the word "Base" Currently there is a area of rain and embedded thunderstorms moving towards the LaCrosse area which should be there within the next couple of hours. I'll try and post again before getting on the road at 11.

Mother Nature has been awful this year! Enough of the rain already. Time to put the kibosh on the old lady!

Current forecast is calling for poor weather from about 3pm to a little after 8pm tonight. My guess is, since this is a regional show, DCI will not let the entire show get rained out if at all possible. Corps on the schedule after 8pm may be okay. Due to travel, I wouldn't expect the show to start later, so earlier corps could get bumped.

Don't take this to the bank. It's all conjecture at this point.

Let's hope for a break in the weather and that the weather gods shine down on drum corps!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Thanks. Now they are talking about storms for this afternoon and evening. If this show rains out again, I am never buying tickets for La Crosse again. Already been two years in a row.

From Phantom's and Cavies websites: All times CST (thanks Brasso!!!, should have thought of that)

Blue Saints

Racine Scouts

Legends

Music City

Governaires

Jersey Surf

Colts

7:33pm Blue Stars

7:50pm Spirit of Atlanta

8:07pm Boston Crusaders

8:24pm Cavaliers

8:41pm Phantom Regiment