First regional this week! DCI La Crosse.

Still great stuff, but a bit sloppy from all three in spots. Especially the tuba going to the wrong place in the opening chord of Crown's show.

Well, Crown had a trumpet go to the wrong place in Finals last year and still won.

He [Cadets' narrator] delivers it excellently and it fits the concept without overdoing it. Hardly an issue.

But is he actually delivering it? Many people are saying he's mostly lip-syncing.

OK explain to me how are Blue Stars and Boston Crusaders in "World Class" and yet Vanguard Cadets and Blue Devils B are not???

WTF? Go watch some Open Class, and tell me how is this possible?!?!

I know that you're probably being facetious, but it's more of a financial thing than anything else.

But that aside, I do think corps that over-achieve Open sheets should get promotes to WC (like in WGI). I get the financial reasoning but it seems like an unfair competitive advantage to the other O.C. corps to be competing against two consistent WC-level corps.

BDB and SCVC have only dominated Open Class for the past six years, and even in that run, another corps did manage to win the championship once. It was only seven years ago that Spartans won, which they also did three years before that. I would say that it's good to have such two regularly strong corps, as it requires other corps to put out equally strong shows before they even consider moving up to World Class.

As for the idea that BDB and SCVC would be competitive with BAC and BS, if it was meant seriously: the ten-point gap (at different shows) between BAC and BDB was probably too small rather than the reverse.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Next on the field is the Boston Crusaders from Boston, Massachusetts. Their 2014 program is entitled "Animal Farm" and consists of:

Polyuska Polye (O Field, My Field) by Knipper, Levi

Symphony No 4 in D Minor by Knipper, Levi

It's actually "Lev" not "Levi" Knipper. I think someone else mentioned this, but he was in the Soviet secret police and was assigned to kill Hitler if Moscow should fall and the city be visited by the German fuehrer.

Boo! They cut the tuba soloist on Clementine!

It's been gone for a couple weeks, actually. As someone else said, nice as it was in itself, it dragged out an already slow transition.

That's a change - They just run to the corner of the field instead of the warped block formation with the horns playing random notes.

They first incorporated that change at the Ft. Wayne show. Many of us in the audience could actually hear a judge in the booth praise the change.

Sounds/looks like an off night for Bloo to me.

Not a good visual night for Bloo... nerves maybe?

Great show, but not Bloo's best performance tonight.

Yeah, it seemed a little ragged.

Yeah, I thought the same. Can't wait for them to master this show.

I'm starting to see visual issues creep into Bluecoats' show that weren't there before. Hoping it's just some mental errors tonight.

These are only about half the comments of this nature that were posted right after Bloo performed, long before the scores were announced.

My point being: nobody should have been too, too surprised by the final results on Saturday. I only just watched the performance myself, and even I spotted some mistakes, including one point during the ballad when one of the wedges almost fell sideways (with a horn player on top) as it was being tilted from one position to the other.

Edit: I see someone else already pointed this out:

It is kind of funny. During their show I read numerous posters comment that the Bluecoats were having a down night. After the recaps are posted I read they were hosed by a judge or judges. Who is right?
Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

I know! What a hack Aaron Copland must have been to write a piece that has a narrator.

Ah, but the orchestral version of Lincoln Portrait is about 16 minutes long, and there's no narration for the first eight minutes. Plus all the narration is all by or about Lincoln, not FDR or JFK.

So the Cadets can no more justify their decision on the grounds that Copland wrote it that way than Crown last year could justify the use of narration from Einstein on the Beach over music from The Abyss on the grounds that Glass wrote it that way.

This isn't an argument against the Cadets' decision to write their show as they did, merely one against certain justifications made for it.

Oh wow, y'all. I am blessed to read a thread with Motorcityglassperson, Cappy18yr old, THE Gamin'Gamin, and the ever-positive New Edition Brigand. I Seriously love your positive and impartial remarks..gives us all hope that we can come together as a band community and go forwards with all the changes that will invariably occur...starting up there in your Midwestern area. The Cadets are a bit old in the tooth for me. Thinking Crown will bounce in as champs this year, yes indeed.

Blue Devils toss hair..others toss weapons!

Edited by PhillipSopper

...the ever-positive New Edition Brigand....

It's not important, but in as much as N.E. means anything,* it stands for North East. Nominally for the portion of Ohio I live in, even though that's usually spelled "Northeast". This year I suppose you could say like the Thai drum corps. Speaking of which, does anyone know if they really will be appearing at Open Class championships?

* "'Is there anyone in this rout with authority to treat with me?' he asked. 'Or indeed, with wit to understand me? Not thou at least!' he mocked, turning to Aragorn with scorn. 'It needs more to make a king than a piece of Elvish glass, or a rabble such as this. Why, any brigand of the hills can show as good a following!'"

But is he actually delivering it? Many people are saying he's mostly lip-syncing.

When I attended their rehearsals, he was delivering it. Reminds me of 2000 when people said we were faking the whole trumpet gimmick we did. :rock: