Number of Postings Here

The last one I got was in 2011, from a corps administrator telling me how terrible I was for criticizing their design in a review. Turns out that not only was I right, but that the judging community was telling them the same thing all summer. Honestly, it wasn't a stretch to figure out the problem, and most people did.

Plot twist: Said corps called me the following off-season about a staff position, and when I reminded them that I was the one that wrote the review they took issue with, they told me to F off :)

I still laugh hysterically about that, and the review is there if you want to search for it.

Edit: initially got the year wrong, it was 2011 not 2012

oh I got blasted in person by a staff member ( hint you marched there) and a corps director. My fave was my fans from the now defunct Rochester Crusaders and their emails. LOL

and I think it was in 09 a Cadets fan trashed me on here when I gave props for some stuff I saw in June...but I didn't praise it as the next greatest thing ever, so I was a hater. LOL

You should have respnded to the thread that somehow started discussing gay people in group showers. Either that was the subject or morphed from a co-ed shower thread. I don't like group showers to begin with (you know what I look like :tounge2: ) and said I'd feel uncomfortable. About 10 red marks later I said that IMO gay people in a group shower would be like non-gays in a co-ed shower and might be tempted to "sneak a peek" (know I would). Earned about 25 marks for saying that one... never knew if that was from people thinking I was insuting to homosexuals or people upset because I said the groups were alike in taking a look.

Jim I have 100,000 something posts. I respond to stuff everywhere.

Let it slide :)

Now that I know I qualify ... marched DC 10 years, taught guard and stuff, watched FN for last 4 years, attended 2 DCI finals.

I have an opinion, now where did I put it ...

I was not being serious when I blamed trombones. I think Facebook, Reddit, etc, satisfy most people's desires for drum corps chat and specialized message boards like DCP are on the decline across the board.

To be honest, though, trombones and french horns along with more voice, more samples, and more synths have made *me* less excited about this season, which has translated into less visiting and less engagement and less posting. The any-brass rule is not a major negative step, but it's just one more babystep towards the no-rules paradise envisioned for DCI that I'm not a fan of. That's all right, I'm at peace with it. But as someone pointed out the old guard fade away, and the new fans are not discovering or using DCP.

• Like 1

I know its a day old, but...

"whoreous" is a funny (and underutilized) word.

Its like a fine, expensive bottle of aged Wine.. the word should only be utilized on those rare and special occasions where its most apt, imo.

Jim I have 100,000 something posts. I respond to stuff everywhere.

Well either you didn't say the magic words on that thread or Gary M and I have a buch o' red flags to give you..... LOL

Now that I know I qualify ... marched DC 10 years, taught guard and stuff, watched FN for last 4 years, attended 2 DCI finals.

Yeah I can pick our tics from a mile away with my experience..... oh wait... :ninja:

" I would never wanna join any club ( DCP ) that would accept someone like me as a member . "

................ Groucho Marx

"Ich würde nie wollen jede Club (DCP), die jemanden wie mich als Mitglied akzeptieren würde beitreten."

...............Karl Marx

"Hold on to the nights

Hold on to the memories

I wish that I could give you something more

That I could be yours"

............Richard Marx

oh I got blasted in person by a staff member ( hint you marched there) and a corps director. My fave was my fans from the now defunct Rochester Crusaders and their emails. LOL

and I think it was in 09 a Cadets fan trashed me on here when I gave props for some stuff I saw in June...but I didn't praise it as the next greatest thing ever, so I was a hater. LOL

I got accosted by a staff member of that same corps you refer to just last month at Kelly's in Wildwood for an off the cuff remark I made in the DCP show thread about twenty minutes prior. Gotta love corps staff cheerleaders that get offended if you don't tell them their show is the most amazingly designed, super-difficult production in the history of EVER!

I got accosted by a staff member of that same corps you refer to just last month at Kelly's in Wildwood for an off the cuff remark I made in the DCP show thread about twenty minutes prior. Gotta love corps staff cheerleaders that get offended if you don't tell them their show is the most amazingly designed, super-difficult production in the history of EVER!

It's all rather silly, when you break it down.

Now, I love this activity. All parts of it. So much so that I make a good chunk of my living designing shows, consulting, and judging for marching bands...but at the end of the day the marching arts are a niche and I understand that. Yet for some people, being on a corps staff carries with it such an ego trip, as though you are now a duke/duchess of your own personal fiefdom inside the greater Kingdom of Marching Arts. I've seen staff behavior that is frankly shockingly juvenile and has occasionally caused me to wonder about the wisdom of entrusting them with so many young minds.

But then I'll see some shining examples of education in others and I feel much more at ease again. I remind myself that, often, most Techs (which make up the bulk of nearly any staff group) are barely outside of marching age themselves, and are prone to the same kinds of passionate outbursts that kids are.

Sometimes I consult with a band director that doesn't like everything I have to say, but the comments are always intended as constructive. If we make an observation ("I'm not sure this design choice is working", "Maybe think about fleshing such-and-such concept out", etc.) it should be received in the spirit it was given.