16-22 Corps - Adjust your rear view mirrors!

I wonder if the corps 16-22 are worried about the Open Class corps breathing down their necks. A few OC have already passed some corps score overall and even more in captions.

I think we need a new drop down selection in the DCP Caption Ranking that merges both World & Open, since both classes are now on the same sheets and judges are ranking them fairly now and into final week in Indianapolis would nice to see how they stack up with eachother.

• Like 3

Agreed... In fact I'd say the Open Class needs to be done away with. Even though it'd be nice to have 80 horns etc, if you compete with 50 and still are competitive with World Class, why have Open Class at all

Because Blue Saints are better off telling funders and potential members that they have a shot at finishing 14th rather than 36th, and so on.

• Like 6

Back in the Stone Age when I marched (those granit contras were heavy, but we were a rock solid horn line), all corps competed on the same sheets. As I recall, they went to different sheets so the members in the 'lower' Open Class corps would not be discouraged by low scores (same mentality that keeps some youth sports leagues from keeping score, I guess). However, we knew we were not going to beat, say, Phantom as they were 2x+ our size. But it was cool to see how our scores compared, esp the captions scores.

Will Open Class corps be penalized for shows that run short? Right now, 7th Regiment, the Open Class corps in the lead, whose most recent score is higher than that of five World Class corps, Mandarins, Academy, Pacific Crest, Pioneer, or Cascades, have a show that only runs about 9 min. 30 sec. Pioneer's show runs about 11 min. I don't think anyone is being penalized for times right now (are they?), but later in the season, I believe W.C. corps will be marked down for shows that don't run between 10 min. and 11 min. 30 sec.--is that right? Looking at 7th's show last year, it seems to have run 9 min. 45 sec. Similarly Genesis's show seems to have been just shy of 10 min. last year. Since O.C. corps are now on W.C. sheets, are they subject to the same penalties? Were they before?

I would think that most open class corps that are going to finals, know the rules and if they are trying to crack the top 25, they will meet the time limit in their design. Just a hunch. No sense in giving penalties to the lower part of OC anyway. But, rules are rules. Not sure what the timing rules are these days, I just know that if your late to start, you get screwed.

This is nothing new; back when there was the actual "top 25," there were those A and A-60 and then Div II and III corps that would advance to the Open/Div I prelims and, sometime, best some of the lower ranking corps that have been competing in Open/Div I all season.

Agreed... In fact I'd say the Open Class needs to be done away with. Even though it'd be nice to have 80 horns etc, if you compete with 50 and still are competitive with World Class, why have Open Class at all

It is all about money. The World Class corps don't want to share any more than they have to. Open Class corps have to pay their dues by getting close to nothing for years before getting invited to the big boys club.

Well then the Open Class corps would have to be paid appearance fees commensurate with the lower tier of World Class. Don't see that happening anytime soon.

Perhaps a better solution would be to stop the foolishness of all corps on one set of sheets. The Open Class paradigm worked well for years. Were it not for the Chief Judge and Artistic Director shoving this change down the throats of the OC Directors last Winter, we'd never be discussing eliminating the Open Class. Does it really make sense to evaluate the Blue Saints vs The Blue Devils?

Even the corps with the most outward aspiration to move to the World Class has had issues and had the single sheet concept blow up in the their face! The public rant on Facebook (now deleted) by the Director of Genesis showed his true colors.......not a good representation of the Open Class or Drum Corps in general.