16-22 Corps - Adjust your rear view mirrors!

I think that it's just the fact that people who have never participated in a drum corps inherently will draw ire from drum corps members because while we sit in our air conditioned homes (for the most part) there are people busting their butts every day to put on shows for us. They're working so hard and we have to remember to critique, not criticize. We have to remember the hard work they're doing - even the last place open class corps is still working so, so, so hard. DCI and DCA are vastly complicated and so many factors affect performance and competitive success. So unless we have marched in a corps, we shouldn't presume to know absolutely everything about how scores and competition and drum corps works. It's kind of a reminder to be considerate and respectful. That's all it is. Courtesy could go a long way for some posters here. All it takes is a few bad posters to ruin all of this for all of us.

• Like 1

...there are people busting their butts every day to put on shows for us. They're working so hard and we have to remember to critique, not criticize. We have to remember the hard work they're doing - even the last place open class corps is still working so, so, so hard.

Well said!

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to post that information here! That's most interesting. I had never heard of the National Linear scoring system and shall have to look it up. I do wonder about the conversion scale you mention: that "What would be a 60 today has been a 70 in the past". Over the past three years, during which time, as you know, the Open Class corps have appeared in World Class Prelims, they've seen their scores drop about 17-20 points from what they had earned at Open Class Finals. (I'm sure you remember, but for others reading this: Genesis dropped from 91.55 in Michigan City to 73.75 in Indianapolis two days later.) At Genesis's first show last year, on July 16, you scored a 71.55 on the Open Class sheets. Assuming the same differential of 17.80, that would have worked out to a World Class score of 53.75. And yet here you are with a 62.40 earned July 8.

Eight days earlier, 8.65 points higher than last year. That's very impressive! And what's more, you had already improved nearly five points in five days. Maybe your friends and family would appreciate seeing the numbers broken down that way.

In any case, best of luck for this season! I hope it doesn't jinx things to say so, but in DCP's season prediction thread, back in January, I picked Genesis to win Open Class this year, so I'm not just being polite in wishing you the best.

Rather than use a simple point reduction, apply the difference between the old Open Class sheets and the standardized sheets - four boxes vs. five boxes. A "perfect score" at the top of Box 4 would have been 100 for O.C. paradigm and 80 on World Class sheets. Multiplying the Open Class finals score by 80% was an excellent predictor of World Class preliminaries scores the past few years (top O.C. groups scored a little higher, lower tier a little lower).

Using that multiplier, last year's 70 for Genesis would have been closer to a 56 this year, so the 60 vs. 70 comparison isn't unreasonable.

Thanks for that suggestion. So Genesis' opening score of 71.55 on July 16 last year would be 57.25 this year--and 7/16/2013 was a Tuesday, so we're talking about today. Their most recent score, one week ago, was a 62.40, which using your formula would be a 78.00 last year. So already they're in the range of 5-7 points ahead of where they were last season. Tonight they against Music City, who last night got a the same score, 62.40, that Genesis earned a week earlier (right now there are four Open Class corps tied for fourth place at that score; the others are Spartans and Gold), and the strongly debuting Louisiana Stars, who got a 60.35 last night. So Genesis is almost certain to move up a few points, which is to say, they're doing very well this year, and tonight will likely be about 7-9 points better than where they were exactly one year ago.

(Can you define the "Open Class paradigm"? It's one of those phrases that turns up now and again that I've never seen explained.)

(Can you define the "Open Class paradigm"? It's one of those phrases that turns up now and again that I've never seen explained.)

It's something that comes straight from DCI. In 2012, when the new sheets were introduced, O.C sheets use the phrase " Be aware that the use of these components is based on the paradigm of the Open Class."

http://issuu.com/drumcorpsinternational/docs/2012_judging_sheets_full_set/1?e=1376842/2992110

"Back in the day" there were separate sheets for Division I and Division II/III - same front of sheet, different criteria on the back. That is probably the "paradigm" so frequently referenced. This being the explanation is entirely speculative on my part - not an authoritative answer.

Thanks for that suggestion. So Genesis' opening score of 71.55 on July 16 last year would be 57.25 this year--and 7/16/2013 was a Tuesday, so we're talking about today. Their most recent score, one week ago, was a 62.40, which using your formula would be a 78.00 last year. So already they're in the range of 5-7 points ahead of where they were last season. Tonight they against Music City, who last night got a the same score, 62.40, that Genesis earned a week earlier (right now there are four Open Class corps tied for fourth place at that score; the others are Spartans and Gold), and the strongly debuting Louisiana Stars, who got a 60.35 last night. So Genesis is almost certain to move up a few points, which is to say, they're doing very well this year, and tonight will likely be about 7-9 points better than where they were exactly one year ago.

Genesis's 66.90 tonight in Bentonville, using the 80% conversion scale, would be an 83.6 on the old Open Class sheets.

That's right, they're 12 points ahead of where they were on this date last year.

Genesis's 66.90 tonight in Bentonville, using the 80% conversion scale, would be an 83.6 on the old Open Class sheets.

That's right, they're 12 points ahead of where they were on this date last year.

Would like to see Surf and Genesis go head to head, they've been scoring in the same area.

...they are just using language to explain a differentiation between groupings, I think. You could say "Open Class model" and achieve the same result...no?

Edited by chasgroh