An observation of Drum Corps fans

I've been attending shows since the mid 80s and have noticed over the years how unapproachable many drum corps fans are. I am a very engaging person and always make small talk about the Corps to people is sit next to. I am very courteous at all times including performances. The one thing I've noticed, and frankly am very turned off by is the very impersonal people I always seem to sit next to. It seems like if you didn't march with that specific person, they are not really interested in your conversation. I've never seen this at any sporting event, but at every DCI event I go to, it's the same. What gives here? Apparently I'm not part of any brotherly fraternity, don't know what SUTA or Spoolie means, but spend thousands each year watching a very entertaining activity. Frankly, it's a major turn off for me. This would also include soovie booths, food lines and bathroom lines. Help me out here!

That seems odd. My overall experience is the opposite. In 2012 at one show I attended I sat next to a couple around my age, 60'ish...they were attending their first show ever. We discussed things about the show the entire evening. They had no idea that Surf was doing a Bayonne tribute show, and they did not understand the crowd reaction to them based on that historical connection.

At a show last year I sat next to former corps members of the Crossmen and we also talked between corps all evening.

That is just two small examples. Maybe just "luck of the draw", seating-wise.

Because it's an elitist activity. They think their activity is better than any "marching band" out there. That's the shortest and sweetest answer you'll get.

Edit: Not saying everyone is like that. But those who do come off as cold seem to have that type of attitude in my opinion.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

I changed in 1984 to a very upscale and very expensive cologne, and it seemed to make all the difference in the world.

• Like 9

I've been attending shows since the mid 80s and have noticed over the years how unapproachable many drum corps fans are. I am a very engaging person and always make small talk about the Corps to people is sit next to. I am very courteous at all times including performances. The one thing I've noticed, and frankly am very turned off by is the very impersonal people I always seem to sit next to. It seems like if you didn't march with that specific person, they are not really interested in your conversation. I've never seen this at any sporting event, but at every DCI event I go to, it's the same. What gives here? Apparently I'm not part of any brotherly fraternity, don't know what SUTA or Spoolie means, but spend thousands each year watching a very entertaining activity. Frankly, it's a major turn off for me. This would also include soovie booths, food lines and bathroom lines. Help me out here!

Odd. I was just at the Chester PA show Sunday night - last minute decision on my part so I went alone

I was literally talking to folks in front of me, behind me and down the row. We all became fast friends

Maybe it's more a midwest thing? Not sure, just not my experience

Hope things change for ya!

George.

Because it's an elitist activity. They think their activity is better than any "marching band" out there. That's the shortest and sweetest answer you'll get.

Edit: Not saying everyone is like that. But those who do come off as cold seem to have that type of attitude in my opinion.

So because someone considers drum corps to be better than marching band (which it arguably is from a talent and level of performance aspect) that makes them impersonal and unapproachable? Not a lot of logic in that argument. I think it just boils down to some people being friendlier than others.

I find it odd as well. Maybe I'll try the cologne BRASSO speaks of. Lol.

I find it odd as well. Maybe I'll try the cologne BRASSO speaks of. Lol.

Thats the spirit! ( haha!)

• Like 1

I don't know much about drum corps, but the only people I won't talk to are the ones who yell and scream every time their favorite corps plays a note, takes a step or catches something.

And the corollary - they are usually talking throughout the other corps' programs.