An observation of Drum Corps fans

You whiz on him to get his attention and say- "HEY, listen up or ill give you another coat of yellow!"

You've been experiencing this for 30 years?

SUTA and PUTA is a Phantom/Spirit thing meant in good humor (it was before my time with SOA but the acronyms aren't nice, at least if what I was told is accurate).

I this was regarding SUTA then no, it wasn't accurate.

I hang out with people before during and after the shows.

I love talking to the corps members and parents. If I go by myself I am usually more quiet unless I see someone I know.

You whiz on him to get his attention and say- "HEY, listen up or ill give you another coat of yellow!"

2002, walked into the mens room at the DCI Friends lunch. next thing I know I'm TCB and there's Don Warren next to me. he says "who you here for?" and I reply " no particualr corps, just to see the show"

He says "smart choice. people get too wrapped up in this stuff"

• Like 2

I've been attending shows since the mid 80s and have noticed over the years how unapproachable many drum corps fans are. I am a very engaging person and always make small talk about the Corps to people is sit next to. I am very courteous at all times including performances. The one thing I've noticed, and frankly am very turned off by is the very impersonal people I always seem to sit next to. It seems like if you didn't march with that specific person, they are not really interested in your conversation. I've never seen this at any sporting event, but at every DCI event I go to, it's the same. What gives here? Apparently I'm not part of any brotherly fraternity, don't know what SUTA or Spoolie means, but spend thousands each year watching a very entertaining activity. Frankly, it's a major turn off for me. This would also include soovie booths, food lines and bathroom lines. Help me out here!

Sit next to me and I guarantee you will have a blast! Love talking everything drumcorps...love it even more when I have an ear to talk/listen with/to....

• Like 1

Why do I feel like I just had a brew in Cheers with Cliff???

Sorry, Kevin. I couldn't resist...it was WAAAYYYY too easy. :silly:

Well, you know there Normie, it's a little known fact that the first drum and bugle corps was actually comprised of wooly mammoths who used their tusks as drum sticks and their trunks as bugles.

:guinesssmilie:

Actually, I have heard that John Ratzenberger was a drummer in the Connecticut Royal Lancers.

• Like 1

After 40 years of being part of this activity I can tell the OP this is not the norm. Are there snobs in the stands? Yep. Are there people who look at you and judge if you are from a corps they dislike? Yep.

But all in all the people in the stands will talk to you about drum corps because this is not a main stream passion for most of this country like football (of the American kind) is. We are a tight group but I have found that passions run deep and you have to have a thick skin sometimes...... not unlike what's required here on this site.

We sat in front of two local Rockford residents at the Rockford show. It was their first show ever and it sounded like they may have received some free tickets. Maybe as a good faith jester to the local home owners who were invaded by.... well.... us. Some corps do this and it's a good thing. Anyway they were a joy to talk to. After some chit chat I noticed they kind of didn't want to talk that much but this was a product of taking all this in for the first time. It can be rather overwhelming for newbies. Especially when the big corps start taking the field. And when Crown was done ..... well, I asked them what they thought and they couldn't answer exempt for a "wow". Still not sure if it was a good wow or bad wow.

Anyway, I think many people in the stands are true "band geeks" and they just want to sit, listen

and not interact too much so they can enjoy what is going on on the field. It is who we are but I have enjoyed many great conversations through the years and I love it when it's found that I know someone who they know..... which, of course can be good or bad :)

Edited by dc oldtimer

Who all is going to be at DCI La Crosse Saturday? I guarantee some good conversation!

please not while the corps are performing

• Like 3