An observation of Drum Corps fans

I usually find the narration of the fans sitting around me at shows as equally intellectually stimulating and intriguing most times as most of the narration I hear on the field. But again, this is just one fan's personal experiences here too.

I'll take an intelligent comment on the performance from someone sitting next to me over any voice on the field. Always.

I've been attending shows since the mid 80s and have noticed over the years how unapproachable many drum corps fans are. I am a very engaging person and always make small talk about the Corps to people is sit next to. I am very courteous at all times including performances. The one thing I've noticed, and frankly am very turned off by is the very impersonal people I always seem to sit next to. It seems like if you didn't march with that specific person, they are not really interested in your conversation. I've never seen this at any sporting event, but at every DCI event I go to, it's the same. What gives here? Apparently I'm not part of any brotherly fraternity, don't know what SUTA or Spoolie means, but spend thousands each year watching a very entertaining activity. Frankly, it's a major turn off for me. This would also include soovie booths, food lines and bathroom lines. Help me out here!

Wow, that's unfortunate. One thing I always used to love when I was younger was going to shows, talking to the dinosaurs, and hearing stories from the good ol' days. Even if personal opinions varied, it was always fun talking to other folks around me about their opinions of what we just saw; as a percussionist, if I was next to someone who turned out to be a guard or brass person I would relish the insight that their experience was told to me to get a different perspective. Perhaps this was a specific community/area that was negative? I honestly haven't attended a live drum corps show since 2008 so I don't know if this is the new norm or just an anomaly maybe. In 2008 at a SoCA show I engaged conversation with MANY folks of different ages and experience level, and it's my experience that Southern CA drum corps fans are more than happy to talk drum corps with anyone/anywhere/anytime.

The soovie booths thing is def. a bummer/odd, as those folks are supposed to be "pseudo-ambassadors" of their organization and encouraging friendliness in order to get business. I certainly wouldn't spend a penny at a soovie booth if the person working was unresponsive or rude! I've never had that experience from ANY soovie both, even when I was marching, wearing my corps' gear, and looking at rival corps' merchandise: I've always experienced great customer service from those volunteers.

Is this true? If so, wow what a charmed life he has led:

* Cheers

* Empire Strikes Back

* Pixar

* drum corps

If that isn't the resume of all-time Awesomeness, I don't know what is!! :tounge2:

Yes, it's true. John Ratzenberger can also be seen in a photo of the Royal Lancers that appears in the 1966 Encyclopedia of Drum Corps.

You're a good guy to have around, Brian!

For anyone who is not reading Brian's long-standing Drum Corps World column, you are missing out on a wealth of fascinating drum corps historical details, much of it head-shaking. What can be learned there will likely astound anyone under the age of 40.

You're a good guy to have around, Brian!

For anyone who is not reading Brian's long-standing Drum Corps World column, you are missing out on a wealth of fascinating drum corps historical details, much of it head-shaking. What can be learned there will likely astound anyone under the age of 40.

Hey, thanks Fred! (Your check is in the mail.) :smile: