Chester PPL July 6th

We headed out 2 hours South toward Philly on a beautiful clear, warm sunny day. The plan was to catch The Champs afternoon block, right on the way to the show. We took a little detour to IKEA in Conshohocken. If you have never been to one, I highly recommend it. We always find and buy cool stuff there!

IMG_3344.jpg

I tried for a stop at an awesome little bakery I had been to while watching SCV a couple years ago, but most local businesses were closed for the weekend. We found Crown at Upper Darby high, just setting up for their ensemble block.

73D2AAA4-5A61-45BA-8D9B-3131264B4418-289

IMG_3407.jpg

They started right out with the opener. I was immediately drawn in to the space thing. The overall effect is so much more dramatic in person. They spent a little over an hour and a half working the middle and ending of the opener. This section has some unbelievable simultaneous demand on the brass. There are also several music ensemble timing challenges that are over the top. There is no chance for any one section to be the slightest bit off in alignment, and it seemed like every rep had a different slight timing issue somewhere. The staff was stressing feet timing and finishing of phrases as the key. On a couple of occasions the brass line was asked for MORE volume. That made me smile. The full upper brass line switch section is one of the coolest things I have ever heard. Although their run through was mostly air and valve or bopping, I came away thinking that the show definitely has the goods to win. They have a lot of meat on the bone to clean, and will have a serious challenge to execute. If they do, they will be very hard to beat.

2B6F99E9-DD54-469C-ACA6-4736DB4265E0-303

IMG_5231.jpg

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5322.jpg

We headed to South Philly for dinner on our way to the show. Geno's is one of our favorite places. The celebrity pix and police patches that decorate the outside somehow make the food even better. One wit whiz. If you are in Philly, you need to go here!

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

NEXT: The Show

• Like 1

Easy off 95, the stadium is easy to get to. YEA provided an ample free parking lot, but as you approach the stadium, there are several $10-15 dollar charging lots where official looking guys try and direct you in with flags. If you didn't know better, you would pay for spots no closer than the free lot. There is a huge, flat area for parking and warm ups, perfect for drum corps. We headed for Will Call just a little after 6:00. It is not a good feeling when your ticket guy goes to the will call envelopes and looks three times, then heads for the back room, where he disappears for 5 minutes. He finally returned with 2 tix, but as we approached the gate I found that they were not the seats I had reserved. They were in the same section, but were $10 less each than the $45 seats I had paid for. We again returned to the window and waited for another 10 minutes as our window guy disappeared into the back room. Finally, the YEA ticket boss returned and explained that the seats I had purchased actually didn't exist, because of a mix up with the venue. He apologized and presented me with 2 VIP tix, worth $85 each! Unfortunately, because of the delays, we had already missed The first 3 corps. When we found out that there was a no re-entry policy, and because our girls hadn't gotten there from Cabs practice yet, we decided to go to the lot.

IMG_3356.jpg

I really need little excuse to spend time in the lot. It is a setting that allows you to see up close the focus and intensity that is present. Observing the staff as they prepare the corps, the psych of corps marching by each other, the whole deal, is as enjoyable as the show for me.

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

• Like 1

Some Cabs arrived and we made our way into the stadium during INT. This a great venue for Drum Corps. Individual seating with great sight lines. The overhangs help hold in the sound, but without echos. The view of the bridge is also very cool. 3 rows from the top was still not too high up.

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

Spirit was on first. They play "Down By The River to Pray" over the speakers as they set up. I wondered if the effect would be enhanced if the performers joined in as they got set?

I really enjoyed this old school style show. Some screaming soloists and power park and bark sections. The visual design seemed to have some spots where there was too much green space, but I have heard that a major prop is coming, so that probably has something to do with that. Standing O for this very enjoyable show.

IMG_5363.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

Next on was BAC. The Animal Farm is really cool. Angry, creepy, they are really making a statement with the style. The guard masks are perfect, but I have to believe they hinder sight and make tosses so much harder. There is a G-7 formed in a drill picture. They are saying things with this show that make many uncomfortable. I really like it!

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

BLOO's rained down as the Coats took the field. The orange in the stadium colors matched the pop from the guard. For some reason the orange tilted sideline sheets were not used.

This show is a perfect blend of brass, percussion, electronics, props and visual. They are performing it at a very high level. I would like to see a different ending. They whipped the crowd into a standing ovation frenzy with the chords after "The Bend", but then there is a let down of sorts as they perform the last section. This is a medal contending drum corps. They will need to add some things to have a chance at Gold, and they seem to be in a good position to do that. The crowds and DCI fan community will certainly be behind them all the way!

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

Crown has so much stuff on the field that EVERYONE has to carry at least one thing when they come out. Bass drums, gongs, tymps, mufflers, stands, trampolines, extra trumpets and mellophones, mics and stands, etc. I marvel at the logistics involved just getting out there! They had a great run. Some minor timing things and visual dirt. Awesome power performance by the brass. A pretty clean show for the guard as well. Being the champs brings a whole different level of pressure. They also might not be the clear crowd favorite every night, which just adds to the things that make it different for them this year.

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

The host Cadets were last on. The show does a masterful job of staging and controlling spectator focus. I understand the effective use of presidential quote clips that are sampled, but find the narrator a little annoying and not necessary most of the time. I also found myself following him behind the semi transparent stage drops as he disappeared. They are marching, drumming, and bugling the best right now, which is why they won. My first impression, however, is that this show will be just short when we get to August. Never count them out though!

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

We headed out and heard scores in the lot. I noticed the ridiculous pricing at the concessions as we left. Not being allowed in with any beverages, or out during a 4 hour show, then charging that for a drink or food is kind of unfair. One of the draw backs to using a professional sports stadium venue I am sure. Doing the math quick, I could see a couple of 2 paying $170 for tix, $15 for parking, and $35 in drinks and a snack. Add $30 at a souvie stand and that is a $250 night, plus gas and tolls. YIKES! Of course we stopped at a diner on the way home, as always.

IMG_3396.jpg

• Like 3

As usual, a terrific review with great photos, Truman!!!

We were five rows from the top of the stadium... so I'm guessing we weren't sitting too far from where you were.

That is an excellent venue for drum corps. Sans some of the concession prices. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring

Best review ever! :D

Amazing review, almost feel like I was there experiencing it with you. Thanks so much!

Great stuff! Fantastic review, and I love all the photos. What an awesome stadium, in an awesome city! I'm drooling for a cheese steak right now. :-)

• Like 1

Easy off 95, the stadium is easy to get to. YEA provided an ample free parking lot, but as you approach the stadium, there are several $10-15 dollar charging lots where official looking guys try and direct you in with flags. If you didn't know better, you would pay for spots no closer than the free lot. There is a huge, flat area for parking and warm ups, perfect for drum corps. We headed for Will Call just a little after 6:00. It is not a good feeling when your ticket guy goes to the will call envelopes and looks three times, then heads for the back room, where he disappears for 5 minutes. He finally returned with 2 tix, but as we approached the gate I found that they were not the seats I had reserved. They were in the same section, but were $10 less each than the $45 seats I had paid for. We again returned to the window and waited for another 10 minutes as our window guy disappeared into the back room. Finally, the YEA ticket boss returned and explained that the seats I had purchased actually didn't exist, because of a mix up with the venue. He apologized and presented me with 2 VIP tix, worth $85 each! Unfortunately, because of the delays, we had already missed The first 3 corps. When we found out that there was a no re-entry policy, and because our girls hadn't gotten there from Cabs practice yet, we decided to go to the lot.

IMG_3356.jpg

I really need little excuse to spend time in the lot. It is a setting that allows you to see up close the focus and intensity that is present. Observing the staff as they prepare the corps, the psych of corps marching by each other, the whole deal, is as enjoyable as the show for me.

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

welcome to YEA ticketing. I have almost always had problems with them

BTW...you do the best reviews in the history of DCP. the pictures just add so much.

• Like 1

great review!... thanks for taking the time to do this... it made for an interesting read, imo