Dekalb TOC

You make an excellent point Irving Fan Of The Arts. The show concepts are not hard to grasp. They are presented well. So well, in fact, the the narration is completely unnecessary. This is what Hockeydad said.

You would understand that part 1 is Licoln, part 2 is FDR, part 3 is Kennedy, and the ending is a medley, without any spoken word (recorded or otherwise)?? You're good!!

and we'll just have to completely disagree - the narration was professionally written and is woven perfectly into the musical package. It is a part of the whole

then the narrator - what a voice! the strongest narrator seen in the activity thus far

the "concept" is one of the "promise of America" and how that's been woven into our leaders' speeches throughout our history / so it calls for narration - the snippets of speeches

if you don't like it - that's fine - but "not artful" I simply don't see that, neither do the GE judges...

and it is timely - is the "promise of America" still alive today? Many young folks (ie: of MARCHING AGE) can't even get a decent job in their chosen field -- the American dream is becoming a costly and hard to reach "promise"

so we'll just disagree.

Well, all art comes down to individual taste, so please don't find me at fault for having different tastes than you. Some people like Cy Twombly, some like Thomas Kinkade.

I get why some people like the Cadet's use of narration. Spoken word can add a specificity and urgency. What I find "not artful" is the way the show jumbles the narrator's (excellent) voice with the recorded voices, and the way all the voices detract (for me, at least) from the hard-working marching members who are making such glorious music.

Now, it is all anecdotal, but there have been many comments on DCP noting an annoyance with the narration, and more comments noting a certain lack of appeal with the overall show. So you can argue for your own tastes, but you must also acknowledge that many people have taken issue with the show.

Edited by quietcity

I did not know that was a reference to the original piece. I have not heard that piece in over 30 years, to me, it’s like Peter and the Wolf, the sort of things for kids that you don’t really go back to later on because you have moved on to real stuff

So yeah, for those in the audience that are not familiar with the reference, now you know how it plays, is that what you want? It’s not my fault for not getting it, the burden is on the ‘artist’..

I counted 3 drones last night, Blue Stars. Cavies and Regiment all sent them off during their shows.

Kind of cool but even though they were not over the audience’s head, if it were to crap out and fall at an angle…not sure that’s the best judgment

I love Peter and the Wolf. Guess I'm immature.

Well, all art comes down to individual taste, so please don't find me at fault for having different tastes than you. Some people like Cy Twombly, some like Thomas Kinkade.

I get why some people like the Cadet's use of narration. Spoken word can add a specificity and urgency. What I find "not artful" is the way the show jumbles the narrator's (excellent) voice with the recorded voices, and the way all the voices detract (for me, at least) from the hard-working marching members who are making such glorious music.

Now, it is all anecdotal, but there have been many comments on DCP noting an annoyance with the narration, and more comments noting a certain lack of appeal with the overall show. So you can argue for your own tastes, but you must also acknowledge that many people have taken issue with the show.

gotcha - that's subjective for sure - from a stylistic standpoint I'd rather all recordings or all narration - not sure many recordings exist from Lincoln -- SO with that said, I like the compromise with the combination. I remember hearing some of those live - powerful memories...

you weren't replying to me but ill jump in anyway:

I agree. I generally like shows that *don't* rely on narration. But that doesn't stop me from acknowledging that they've used it pretty effectively. The recorded material injects a lot more emotion than straight narration would. And the Cadets show this season is all about emotion.

Some people like Cy Twombly, some like Thomas Kinkade.

Usually the same people who like this.

crecy89.jpg

Cadets went with a concept (using Lincoln Portrait's basic concept and expanding it to two other Presidents). We can quibble about whether they're doing that effectively or not, but the aesthetic behind the concept is hardly cutting edge, given that Copland's piece is 60 or 70 years old, and has been a staple of the American orchestral rep since the day it premiered.

Edited by Slingerland

you weren't replying to me but ill jump in anyway:

I agree. I generally like shows that *don't* rely on narration. But that doesn't stop me from acknowledging that they've used it pretty effectively. The recorded material injects a lot more emotion than straight narration would. And the Cadets show this season is all about emotion.

Well, I was replying to George Dixon with your comment in mind as well, so I am happy to have you reply.

I saw the Cadets live last night for the first time, and my experience was this: I had to continuously shift my attention from downstage /foreground (narrator and platform) to upstage / background (the corps proper). I found this constant need to shift my attention a bit irritating. Several times, I found my enjoyment of a beautiful or majestic Copland phrase interrupted by that darned narrator popping up like a jack-in-the-box, yanking away my attention from the music, and doing so to TELL me that I am listening to something beautiful or majestic. It was all rather maddening.

Now, this is not a reflection on the quality of the narrator or the narrative. Both are excellent, given the venue and limitations of the genre. And I realize every drum corps show requires a lot of attention shifting. And finally, I acknowledge the specific ideas of the show could not be effectively conveyed without spoken word.

But the Cadets have elevated the need to constantly shift attention to a whole new level, and they do so only to tell me what is already made patently obvious by Aaron Copland's masterly music.