Dekalb TOC

Having been away from following drum corps for a few years, I now realize in the past few days that DCI is full of unbridled passion, high drama, dedicated commitments, and fierce loyalty...

...then there's the shows on the field too. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Having been away from following drum corps for a few years, I now realize in the past few days that DCI is full of unbridled passion, high drama, dedicated commitments, and fierce loyalty...

...then there's the shows on the field too. :biggrin:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

But it still had narration in it, regardless.

Certainly. I wasn't arguing against the narration.

Well, all art comes down to individual taste, so please don't find me at fault for having different tastes than you. Some people like Cy Twombly, some like Thomas Kinkade.

I get why some people like the Cadet's use of narration. Spoken word can add a specificity and urgency. What I find "not artful" is the way the show jumbles the narrator's (excellent) voice with the recorded voices, and the way all the voices detract (for me, at least) from the hard-working marching members who are making such glorious music.

Now, it is all anecdotal, but there have been many comments on DCP noting an annoyance with the narration, and more comments noting a certain lack of appeal with the overall show. So you can argue for your own tastes, but you must also acknowledge that many people have taken issue with the show.

It's your opinion and that's fine. I think the Cadets show acknowledges that Lincoln isn't really there nor the other Presjdents but the Cadets are celebrating what they said. The Cadet narrator (now in Cadet uniform), is interacting with the Presidents quotes which makes it interactive and more artistic than just Old recordings of speeches. The narration also adds to the show an additional dimension of what's going on. It ties together different pieces of Copland's music and solidifies the show into a cohesive design.

Actually without the narration the show is just 3 Copland pieces. You don't have a concept at all.

Gee I wouldn't want to hear "just" 3 Copland pieces.

And why is a "concept" needed? So your staff can convince the judges how cerebral and awesome they are and get more points?

It's your opinion and that's fine. I think the Cadets show acknowledges that Lincoln isn't really there nor the other Presjdents but the Cadets are celebrating what they said. The Cadet narrator (now in Cadet uniform), is interacting with the Presidents quotes which makes it interactive and more artistic than just Old recordings of speeches. The narration also adds to the show an additional dimension of what's going on. It ties together different pieces of Copland's music and solidifies the show into a cohesive design.

Yeah. Right. It annoys and muddles the excellent brass and percussion. It detracts from the artistry of the musicians. It is merely talking.

Here's what im gettin out of this. People dont like the narrator talking but dont have a problem with the voice samples. So its either you have the narrator or the sound clips? My only problem is that he repeated exactly what sound clips said.I feel like they could use him more in the show besides a sentence every once in a while. It doesn't bother me to much. And its not like anyone cares about what I say besides burritos so....

Quesoritto!

Seems rather odd to me that nobody is noting the big drops in scores from just the night before in La Crosse - 1 to almost 2 points for everybody except Blue Stars only dropping .65!

I think the corps all performed relatively well, but the stadium just plain sucked. The top-level seats (VIP) and the press box with the judges just soared way above normal projection angles for the performers, making the sound in the upper-level high-price seats like mine (still 30-40 feet below the judges seats) very thin and airy. Without any perimeter track, the front ensembles and drum majors were jammed up against the high front wall, which must have bounced a lot of sound away from the front stands. On top of that, the seating areas were divided into tiers that had more reflective front walls bouncing sound away, and very shallow slopes so that (despite the towering heights of the stands) the view was awfull, along with the sound. Everybody in our section had to give up trying to see the pit or even the drum majors, and there were at least two heads of people in front of us blocking the view (and more sound) all the way to the back hash or even the back sideline. The only way any of us could see over the people in front was to lean forward on the edge of our seats and block the view for everybody behind, or stand up - which is clearly what the photographers who posted the earlier pix had to do. We didn't do either and just had to stew, and keep leaning around trying to see things between all the heads.

This stadium goes right to the top of my "never again" list of crappy venues!

On top of that, only after most people had climbed up many levels of ramps to their seats did they find out that there weren't any food or drink concessions inside the stadium - only two tents out in a back field behind the stadium, about ten stories below and behind the souvie stands outside. This may be why there are all these food comments in this thread. On the positive side, there were hardly any lines at the tents and service was fast - presumably because people had no idea they were there or didn't want to make the long treks down and back up to their seats.

The Taco Bell comments are presumably inspired by the shortest route to the stadium from the Red Roof Inn or Fatty's Pub and Grill threading through the Taco Bell parking lot to the gap between the board and chain-link fences and through the apartment complex behind - which appeared to be well-traveled last night. Nevertheless, I would recommend ignoring the short-cut advice and just skipping Dekalb entirely in the future.

Edited by PC

My bottom line is I go to drum corps shows for music, not talk. Last night, I wanted to hear The Cadets' astonishing horn and drum lines. But half the time, I had to listen to some preacher man and a bunch of dead presidents hold forth instead.

I understand that you and others find that this narrative enhances your enjoyment and appreciation of the show. I have no qualms with that. I just hope that you can appreciate my point of view as well.

De gustibus non est disputandum, n'est ce pas?

Seems rather odd to me that nobody is noting the big drops in scores from just the night before in La Crosse - 1 to almost 2 points for everybody except Blue Stars only dropping .65!

I think the corps all performed relatively well, but the stadium just plain sucked. The top-level seats (VIP) and the press box with the judges just soared way above normal projection angles for the performers, making the sound in the upper-level high-price seats like mine (still 30-40 feet below the judges seats) very thin and airy. Without any perimeter track, the front ensembles and drum majors were jammed up against the high front wall, which must have bounced a lot of sound away from the front stands. On top of that, the seating areas were divided into tiers that had more reflective front walls bouncing sound away, and very shallow slopes so that (despite the towering heights of the stands) the view was awfull, along with the sound. Everybody in our section had to give up trying to see the pit or even the drum majors, and there were at least two heads of people in front of us blocking the view (and more sound) all the way to the back hash or even the back sideline. The only way any of us could see over the people in front was to lean forward on the edge of our seats and block the view for everybody behind, or stand up - which is clearly what the photographers who posted the earlier pix had to do. We didn't do either and just had to stew, and keep leaning around trying to see things between all the heads.

This stadium goes right to the top of my "never again" list of crappy venues!

On top of that, only after most people had climbed up many levels of ramps to their seats did they find out that there weren't any food or drink concessions inside the stadium - only two tents out in a back field behind the stadium, about ten stories below and behind the souvie stands outside. This may be why there are all these food comments in this thread. On the positive side, there were hardly any lines at the tents and service was fast - presumably because people had no idea they were there or didn't want to make the long treks down and back up to their seats.

The Taco Bell comments are presumably inspired by the shortest route to the stadium from the Red Roof Inn or Fatty's Pub and Grill threading through the Taco Bell parking lot to the gap between the board and chain-link fences and through the apartment complex behind - which appeared to be well-traveled last night. Nevertheless, I would recommend ignoring the short-cut advice and just skipping Dekalb entirely in the future.

Here is why scores were like that imo. BD went on first after not going to la crosse. They got their score and no one after was better so the scores would drop for everyone. They set a high bar. Other opinions is probably the panel and slotting. Reason why no talk about Blue Stars dropping the least because DCP isn't pro-blue stars/doesnt like them/not G7 and only cares about blooo staying the same(calling end of the season for then when we have 4 weeks), Cadets talking, and crown horns. Edited by MotorCityMusician