Dekalb TOC

My bottom line is I go to drum corps shows for music, not talk. Last night, I wanted to hear The Cadets' astonishing horn and drum lines. But half the time, I had to listen to some preacher man and a bunch of dead presidents hold forth instead.

I understand that you and others find that this narrative enhances your enjoyment and appreciation of the show. I have no qualms with that. I just hope that you can appreciate my point of view as well.

De gustibus non est disputandum, n'est ce pas?

You knew this going in. You knew all season that Cadets had narration in their show. Why complain about drinking milk when you already knew it makes your stomach turn...

• Like 1

De gustibus non est disputandum ... ?

"'There is no disputing about tastes', it is said--foolishly, for we must dispute about them." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, Beowulf and the Critics

Seems rather odd to me that nobody is noting the big drops in scores from just the night before in La Crosse - 1 to almost 2 points for everybody except Blue Stars only dropping .65!

I think the corps all performed relatively well, but the stadium just plain sucked. The top-level seats (VIP) and the press box with the judges just soared way above normal projection angles for the performers, making the sound in the upper-level high-price seats like mine (still 30-40 feet below the judges seats) very thin and airy. Without any perimeter track, the front ensembles and drum majors were jammed up against the high front wall, which must have bounced a lot of sound away from the front stands. On top of that, the seating areas were divided into tiers that had more reflective front walls bouncing sound away, and very shallow slopes so that (despite the towering heights of the stands) the view was awfull, along with the sound. Everybody in our section had to give up trying to see the pit or even the drum majors, and there were at least two heads of people in front of us blocking the view (and more sound) all the way to the back hash or even the back sideline. The only way any of us could see over the people in front was to lean forward on the edge of our seats and block the view for everybody behind, or stand up - which is clearly what the photographers who posted the earlier pix had to do. We didn't do either and just had to stew, and keep leaning around trying to see things between all the heads.

This stadium goes right to the top of my "never again" list of crappy venues!

On top of that, only after most people had climbed up many levels of ramps to their seats did they find out that there weren't any food or drink concessions inside the stadium - only two tents out in a back field behind the stadium, about ten stories below and behind the souvie stands outside. This may be why there are all these food comments in this thread. On the positive side, there were hardly any lines at the tents and service was fast - presumably because people had no idea they were there or didn't want to make the long treks down and back up to their seats.

The Taco Bell comments are presumably inspired by the shortest route to the stadium from the Red Roof Inn or Fatty's Pub and Grill threading through the Taco Bell parking lot to the gap between the board and chain-link fences and through the apartment complex behind - which appeared to be well-traveled last night. Nevertheless, I would recommend ignoring the short-cut advice and just skipping Dekalb entirely in the future.

Weird, I thought the venue was amazing. We were in row 34, about half-way up, and on the 45 yard line. The view and sounds were amazing, which is good, because the tickets cost $44 a piece.

We had a big meal and beers at Fatty's before the show, and brought some snacks too, so the lack of concessions was not a problem. After all, I don't go to drum corps show for the cuisine. And the long hike up the ramps was great exercise!!

Parking was free, and close to stadium. Highway was close by, so getting in and out of town was a breeze. Plenty of nearby restaurants. I had a great time.

"'There is no disputing about tastes', it is said--foolishly, for we must dispute about them." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, Beowulf and the Critics

Ha, well said, Mr.r. Tolkien. What would DCP be without disputation about our gustibi?

You knew this going in. You knew all season that Cadets had narration in their show. Why complain about drinking milk when you already knew it makes your stomach turn...

Of course I knew this. I was speaking rhetorically, in order to illustrate why I don't find the narration to be mellifluous.

But if you prefer, I can render all my opinions in a non-sardonic present tense, so as not to cause further confusion. Just say the word.

It wasn't even that much talking. And dead people talking is impressive if I say so myself :tongue:

Kind of spooky, actually. Especially that bit from Nixon.

Of course I knew this. I was speaking rhetorically, in order to illustrate why I don't find the narration to be mellifluous.

But if you prefer, I can render all my opinions in a non-sardonic present tense, so as not to cause further confusion. Just say the word.

"The word"

"The word"

Dang, called my bluff....