Dekalb TOC

I was in row 10 on the 40 - I could see the guys face very clearly (I should have taken photos). If he's not lip syncing, I'd be shocked. 1) He doesn't have the build of someone with the booming voice - not to say someone slender can't have a booming voice, but when his audio/mic was off for his very first reading, hearing him unplugged, I didn't get the booming sound, either ; 2) there were times where his audio seemed slightly AHEAD of his lips. I suppose the sound system could delay it a little. I'd seen a thread title that suggested lip syncing, so I knew to look for it, but I didn't read the discussion, so I didn't know if anyone had officially confirmed or denied it. Sorry if I'm wrong - not a big deal, but I kept checking during the show - and my family believed it to be syncing as well.

He's been interviewed after several competitions and sounds exactly like the narration. Even if it's a recording, it's his voice.

• Like 1

Huh? I won't argue as to whether you should like it or not, but at least be factual. When did they ever play Lincoln Portrait, music for the Theater or Grover's Corners? When was the last time they played Appalachian Spring? How long ago did they use The Promise of Living?

OK, to be technically accurate, it's more that they've played Copland "Americana" songs multiple, but clarifying that doesn't make me feel any better about the show. I didn't dislike it, I just didn't really like it (which I have, many years). By the way, I going each season wanting to like Cadets.

Lincoln Portrait- 1975

Music for the Theater-Never

Grovers Corner (symphony no 3?)- Never

Appalachian Spring-2008

Promise of Living-1996

they played ten seconds of Spring in 2008 - in the prologue - so the real answer there is 1987

So - the kids were 1. not born yet in 1975, never played, never played, not born yet (1987) and 2 years old. I hardly think that counts as having played the music they've played multiple times in the past. Heck the current kids weren't even alive!

He's been interviewed after several competitions and sounds exactly like the narration. Even if it's a recording, it's his voice.

You could hear him speaking the lines from the platform in DeKalb at the pre-show, when his mic wasn't working. He's not lip synching.

Got it - now that I think about it, his breathing and the formation of his mouth didn't always match the amplified words coming out of the speaker. So, given what you said, I'll buy that it's him, giving it all in a recording room - but, I still think it's syncing.

You could hear him speaking the lines from the platform in DeKalb at the pre-show, when his mic wasn't working. He's not lip synching.

I happened to watch it occur with binoculars, and was pretty close. However, after the mic was "working", the delay of sound was so troubling, like a complete second. That's when I thought it was canned material. Stopped looking immediately after that.

So there seems to be credence to the back-up plan scenario mentioned.

If someone is lip syncing, they are going to still speak (as opposed to just moving their lips, which is easier to notice).

Honestly, the question of syncing or not syncing and the mathematical equations to determine how much musical rehash Cadets have this year aren't worth arguing over. Sorry to get people's blood boiling. I knew I'd get flamed for saying the Cadets are boring - and to be fair there, my dislike of narration (I really would like to see the Colts organization back in finals, but NOT this year because of that awful design) was a big reason of my dislike. And if anyone wants to jump all over me and tell me how I'm not "listening right" to the words or how I'm too stoopid (sic) to understand the show, feel free, but don't bother trying to convince me that narration is good, or Cadets narration is great - you won't convince of either.

Funny thing about this website: if you want to state your opinions, you need to allow others to state theirs too. I get that you bleed maroon, but it's been almost ten years now, and other than the Yowza show, no one has done narration consistently worse than Cadets. This I believe. This is what I said. Does anyone know the true meaning of Christmas? I took one of these about an hour ago. The horror....

I don't remember cutting off his fingers so he couldn't state his opinion. I asked a question. He answered it. Your statement is now irrelevant. Like you said, it's been almost 10 years now. Apparently they're not going to stop with the narration. No point on constant complaints about it.

I just want to say, I actually HOPE he's lip-syncing. It's the safest call. I do believe it's the young man's pre-recorded voice and if I were part of Cadets' management I wouldn't do this any other way. He has a strong, clear voice. With lip syncing, we'll get that EVERY time, regardless of his health condition (hiccups, sneeze, etc.) or frame of mind (timing, mostly). Imagine if our narrator stumbles down the ramp, land on his knee and is in pain. The show can go on (for everyone else) even if he is forced to remain out of sight. If such an unfortunate incident should happen, there's no time for staff to grab a mic and shout to the entire corps . . . .

FREEZE! Hold your position, keep your sticks in position, don't catch that toss, and stop recording until we get the new kid up there and ready!

:omg:

• Like 1