Dekalb TOC

I don't remember cutting off his fingers so he couldn't state his opinion. I asked a question. He answered it. Your statement is now irrelevant. Like you said, it's been almost 10 years now. Apparently they're not going to stop with the narration. No point on constant complaints about it.

Did Hop take "no" for an answer the first, second, third, etc times narration and other changes we're voted down? No. So I see no reason to drop the subject. I can understand you don't like your corps being criticized, but these glowing reviews about how awesome the narration is just don't pass the giggle test with me. It covers up the truly awesome musicians, and that's a shame.

Did Hop take "no" for an answer the first, second, third, etc times narration and other changes we're voted down? No. So I see no reason to drop the subject. I can understand you don't like your corps being criticized, but these glowing reviews about how awesome the narration is just don't pass the giggle test with me. It covers up the truly awesome musicians, and that's a shame.

Point out one of MY posts where I gave "glowing reviews" of any type of narration. I've been consistently against it from day one. But corps are going to continue using it no matter what and I don't see the point on dwelling on it. I just like everyone else would rather just hear music instead, so you can stop minimizing my take on the subject by pointing out I "bleed maroon" or don't like Cadets being criticized. I've been used to Cadets being criticized since the day I auditioned for them.

Point out one of MY posts where I gave "glowing reviews" of any type of narration. I've been consistently against it from day one. But corps are going to continue using it no matter what and I don't see the point on dwelling on it. I just like everyone else would rather just hear music instead, so you can stop minimizing my take on the subject by pointing out I "bleed maroon" or don't like Cadets being criticized. I've been used to Cadets being criticized since the day I auditioned for them.

Jumping in with a (small) grenade... Tekk may bleed Maroon, but he was slamming his corps early on. So don't try to paint him with a borg brush, please.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post, but you know what I mean. (I was speaking to Hockey Dad)

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum

a few images from last night.....

well that didn't work....

Edited by Highwaydude

I just want to say, I actually HOPE he's lip-syncing. It's the safest call. I do believe it's the young man's pre-recorded voice and if I were part of Cadets' management I wouldn't do this any other way. He has a strong, clear voice. With lip syncing, we'll get that EVERY time, regardless of his health condition (hiccups, sneeze, etc.) or frame of mind (timing, mostly).

I think that's nuts. If he's lip-syncing, then all the soloists should be prerecorded. Think how much better BD '89 would have been in Finals if there was no danger of fracking.

But multiple folks have said that he's not lip-syncing. And that video MCM posted certainly indicates that he was practicing to perform live.

(Edited to correct year.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

The music is constructed to be background to the narration when those few snippets occur. In other words, the narration and music (when narration is in) were constructed to happen together. You lose the effect if one of the 2 is dropped. If it was music only, then the arrangements would have to be re-written. I'm sorry the narration doesn't pass the "giggle" test with you, but with me it passes with flying colors. I believe Aaron Copland would love this show and find it to be in the spirit of his "Lincoln Portrait."

Dang, I wish this quote function would work for a change. Guess I'll have to try another server...

N.E. -- thanks for saying what you did. I tried saying the same thing a few months back...and let's just say it didn't appear to be a popular stance at the time. For a competitive medium that is supposed to be adjudicated upon a "live" format, I think it's totally unfair for any performer to submit a canned performance. Hiccups and sneezes could just as easily happen to a Sop (ooops...trumpet) soloist. That's the danger involved. Heck...I once attended a Doc Severinsen concert where he had to cough in the middle of a solo. He just shrugged, smirked, and went on. Never the worst for wear...least so with the audience. Anyway...nice to know that another feels the same way.

The music is constructed to be background to the narration when those few snippets occur. In other words, the narration and music (when narration is in) were constructed to happen together. You lose the effect if one of the 2 is dropped. If it was music only, then the arrangements would have to be re-written. I'm sorry the narration doesn't pass the "giggle" test with you, but with me it passes with flying colors. I believe Aaron Copland would love this show and find it to be in the spirit of his "Lincoln Portrait."

Thank you. I've wanted to say something like this, but you said it better than how it was in my head. You might not like that someone is talking "over the corps", but it's not as if Jay wrote stuff meant to be prominent, and then GH just threw in some lines over it. They knew almost every single place where they wanted to overlay, just like when a movie score composer is writing to a scene where sometimes the music is supposed to be prominent and other times when it's supposed to lie undernead the movie. Again, you might want to hear the corps, unaccomapnied by vocals, at all times -- and that's fine, I sympathize. But they wrote it this way.

Edited by chris ncsu

Thank you. I've wanted to say something like this, but you said it better than how it was in my head. You might not like that someone is talking "over the corps", but it's not as if Jay wrote stuff meant to be prominent, and then GH just threw in some lines over it. They knew almost every single place where they wanted to overlay, just like when a movie score composer is writing to a scene where sometimes the music is supposed to be prominent and other times when it's supposed to lie undernead the movie. Again, you might want to hear the corps, unaccomapnied by vocals, at all times -- and that's fine, I sympathize. But they wrote it this way.

Or when an instrumental soloist is playing, often the corps will fade more into the background or totally cut out altogether (minus the pit). It's not really all that different.

• Like 1