Drums Along the Rockies 2014

Wow, no one had mentioned here that the announcer jumped in about 90 seconds before Scouts' show was done.

Speaking of which, this is the first time I've seen and heard the new ending. Visually it's impossible to tell much about the show with that ridiculous camera work, but musically the quiet ending is pretty nice; what a soloist!

• Like 1

I'm watching Vanguard's performance now. I was looking forward to watching them tonight. But... I don't know if I can bare with this horrific camera work, angles and audio quality. Whoever is responsible for recording this show horribly dropped the ball.

I'm watching Vanguard's performance now. I was looking forward to watching them tonight. But... I don't know if I can bare with this horrific camera work, angles and audio quality. Whoever is responsible for recording this show horribly dropped the ball.

Yeah.....that was the most bizarre camera work I've ever seen!! But..... I still absolutely LOVED Vanguard's show. Seriously......this show should be knocking on the 4th place door. The drill is so beautiful....the music, as well. Just gorgeous drum corps.

I was at the show at Mile High tonight. I'll write a full review tomorrow. What a great show.

A few thoughts:
- SCV is impressive but sterile to me. Something's missing.
- Blue Knights BLEW ME AWAY. And I just saw them in Ogden & wasn't nearly as impressed. Tonight, haunting, beautiful & emotional. Favorite show this year - and I'm not from Denver or a BK homer (though I did love 06, 07, and 12 from them too.
- underwhelmed by Madison - especially GE & visually. I would have Crossmem closer to them.
- Crossmen were sharp & entertaining. Still don't cover the field enough though & the Carmen bits are too choppy.
- Troopers have emotional punch but not as clean as Crossmen
- favorite OC show so far. Loads of potential if they can clean.

I'll save rest & more detail for review tomorrow. Still have BKs show in my head & heart.

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan

1. 85.25 -- Santa Clara Vanguard

2. 81.00 -- Blue Knights

3. 78.30 -- Madison Scouts

4. 76.85 -- Crossmen

5. 75.00 -- Troopers

6. 70.90 -- Oregon Crusaders

7. 68.80 -- Pacific Crest

8. 68.35 -- Academy

9. 67.90 -- Mandarins

10. 64.45 -- Cascades

WOW , CROSSMEN ARE VERY GOOD !

Just some quick thoughts...

I know some people were making early complaints about the reduced number of top 12 corps (BD absent, etc.), but I thought the sub-top12 and borderline corps were #### strong this year. And I don't think Academy suffered any by going on first, because they kicked the audience awake (not that anybody was sleeping).

I didn't originally like Madison's show when I saw it in the theater, but it's gotten much better. I think I can see the areas where they're trailing (comparing to BK, at least), but I have the feeling they at least have a chance to rise. (I'd have to see Boston's and Blue Star's recent work to get a better grasp.)

Blue Knights' show gets a hell yeah, and I can see room to grow, add, and clean. I was hyping Hand of Fate before, but the closer seems like it's grown to be just as good. The unwindy box rocks. (Also, I get the feeling that some major musical element could be added/tagged on, but I don't now what, exactly.)

Cop, on 12 Jul 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:snapback.png

I'd like to see BK best another corps at least once this season as well.

Phantom?

It'll be interesting to see how things go down when they hit the same show. (First meeting in Oklahoma next week, apparently.) I liked the design ideas of Phantom's show when I saw it in the theater, and I'd like to see how it's changed (probably won't get to until finals week).

When I switched over from the Lacrosse feed I thought I was hearing those obnoxious noise makers from the World Cup in South Africa....... vuvuzelas.

Wait -- you mean DCI approved vuvuzelas in the middle of the season?

*runs off to search YouTube for the Hitler video*

A couple of comments. I will apologize to Madison for being so harsh on them a few week's ago. They were really sloppy and I did not like their visual design or performance that night. They have cleaned it up nicely and I like the show now.

SCV is, well SCV. Solid show last night.

BK show is growing on me and getting better each time I see it.

I still believe if OC can clean their show, they can reach as high as 13-14. Not top 12 yet. This is the time they need to start cleaning up the show to move the score up. We also noticed that the center snare was missing last night. If they can reach a 73.5 or higher next week in SA, They can move up in placement. Eventually, the corps ahead of them will start slowing down.

All in all, I like a lot of the corps shows. It is more about the challenge ahead of them to get better, those corps which challenged their members will get better and those who played it a little more safe, will get pasted by Allentown.

For now, I hope everyone gets better and have safe travels the rest of tour.

• Like 1