Creativity at the Top

Hopkins stated that this year's show was a concept that they thought about 10 years ago! TEN YEARS AGO! What does they tell you? It means that it wasn't their top choice for production in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, or 2013. No doubt Cadets play the heck out of this show this year, but overall the show lacks the freshness and WOW factor of say, the Bluecoats - who always manage to do new things.

SCV - got to agree with you there too. The show seems like something they could have done years ago. Same true with Phantom. Not saying I'm not enjoying their shows, but can't say they're exactly pushing the creative envelop with them either.

Hopkins said he felt THIS group of Cadets has the chops to do the music they've been eyeing for 10 years. The design will be quite different then had they tackled it 10 years ago. As far as Bluecoats, TILT was amazing but that was more of an exception than a rule for them having amazing design. Before Tilt, Metropolis was the last show that I felt had GREAT Design,

Just re-reading this thread for the sake of enjoyment (?? Yes, this is a sick mind which resides here) and understanding. I also realized that this response by you was in response to one of my earlier posts...and I never responded. So to do you justice, I'll respond...

If you're asking my view on the matter, my response (to your highlighted words) would simply be this: I would consider it pandering. Nothing more, and nothing less.

I'll kind of agree.

pandering ( i.e. vintage moves that everyone loves that became traditions) have their place...if inserted wisely. But if done just to be done, then yes, it should hurt them.

case in point....this fall I judged a show that threw a pitch bend in because they could...but it didn't make sense.

When a top corps does esoteric, non-mainstream stuff, people complain about becoming too artsy-fartsy.

When a top corps does traditional, done-to-death stuff, people complain about pandering and a lack of creativity.

When a lower tier corps does esoteric, non-mainstream stuff, people applaud them for risk-taking.

When a lower tier corps does traditional, done-to-death stuff, people applaud them entertaining the audience.

I see a trend...

The top tier are certainly critiqued very harshly but they should be. They are the best of the best in the activity.