Creativity at the Top

First, to DCIFan44, welcome to the Planet!

Re Jeff Ream's post, I think he is on point re the "indoor" factor and I have a question related to judging.

I have watched a few videos of indoor/WGI performances and, while the ensemble performances are enjoyable at times, the overall effect, IMO, is like watching a skateboard performance…ultimately, Box 5 boring.

My question is the extent to which today's DCI GE and Visual panels utilize individuals who also judge these indoor events, and the extent to which this indoor experience carries over and corrupts the GR and Visual captions.

Any thoughts on this?

on GE for indoor in some cases I agree, but the paint drying aspect to me happens for more often on the guard side then on the percussion side.

Many names that have judged effect for DCI have done WGI, or in local circuits that follow WGi's philosophy. While wording on the sheets is there for a reason, it seems this year in DCI, it's actually being applied

I think now is more creative than it's ever been. The level of playing at every division is much more now. We get favorites and we get new concepts. It's a win win for everybody. I think 2014 is the start of a whole new era and it's going to get even better as things progress.

agree and bottom line no matter what the concept. it is a contest and we get no credit for ATTEMPT.

• Like 1

agree and bottom line no matter what the concept. it is a contest and we get no credit for ATTEMPT.

and thank god for that. it should always be about achievement

]Agreed. The new fans and for that matter, MM's never saw or heard Cadets do Appalachian Spring or over SCV's glorious Scheherazade from 2004. GH said that in 2003 when Cadets did Malaguena. He said kids in the Cadets never even knew Madison did it. I've always been most impressed by the highest performance levels of the top WC corps. That is what turned me on to drumcorps, not who is standing on a table twirling a trumpet because it's new..

Edited by theCHEZman
  • Like 1

agree , but when both align then thats a great put together program and blow aways those who have 1 or the other or neither.

design should be the tie breaker when performance is even. too often design gets way too much latitude for performance issues

• Like 1

design should be the tie breaker when performance is even. too often design gets way too much latitude for performance issues

it's the other way around anymore

design dictates when the performances are somewhat in the same vicinity

DCI now is essentially about Adults judging Adults. Show Design is valued significantly higher now with the build up reward system we now have on the current judging sheets. While its true that a Corps can not place high within their pecking order in their placement level without performance execution at least as good as their pecking order peers, in the end ,it is the Adults created Show Design, particularly on the Visual and Guard side that makes all the the difference in the world. A Corps in a performance caption ( such as Brass, Percussion ) can finish 6th and still win a DCI Title. It is the performers that are judged on the performance. But it is the adults that are judged on the Show Design... and its the Show Design captions that count for the most reward points to be had now. For one example ( of many ) it is impossible under the current sheets for a Corps to finish 6th in a Design caption ( like GE Vis.,, Visual Anal, etc ) and win a Title, even if they won Brass and Percussion. But in a performance caption like percussion execution, a title can be won if its a 6th place in performance execution. The Cavs finished 2nd, 3rd, in 2010, 2011, but 8th in 2012. The 2012 Cavs marcher talent was every bit as good in 2012 as it was in 2010, 20111, and they worked just as hard, just as smart, and played their instruments and marched about as well as the 2010, 2011 Cavs. But the Show Design is what had them about to suffer severe placement slide even before they put their uniforms on for the first performance of 2012, and have them about to sink like a stone that year...... the Bluecoats of last year were no less talented in their marching, instrument playing than this year's Bluecoats. Thats a fallacy if we believe this. What has catapulted the Bluecoats this year is the Adults... the Show Design. To paraphase Democrat Consultant, James Carville,( with a new twist )... 'its the Show Design, Stupid !! "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Great post BRASSO.

I agree to an extent. I think it's become all about what that GE caption and the secondary caption that ensures the design judged more than performance is Analysis.... Now with the Analysis caption you can be judged on overall content and design elements present within the program. But... That said what ever creation is made, still relies on execution by the performers.... Is it equal? Not likely