DCI not on Itunes? WHY!?

With Apple's cut of the profits, not to mention the massive, massive amount of new license agreements that must be met (and negotiated, and paid for, etc. etc.), iTunes makes absolutely zero sense for DCI.

/thread

What new licensing agreements would have to be met when DCI already reproduces the audio and sells it in the form of CD's?

Also, an 83 cent profit per show is still 83 cents they weren't getting before... I feel like this is just another way that DCI is fossilizing.

What new licensing agreements would have to be met when DCI already reproduces the audio and sells it in the form of CD's?

This was a small part of a laaaarge discussion within our alumni group. I don't post much these days, but let's see if this will help a bit.

The long-ish answer: licensing is infinitely more complex than that. What DCI already reproduces doesn't affect anything other than what DCI already produces. The contracts each individual corps drew up initially with the composers of ever. single. piece. has specific language regarding permissions to arrange, mechanical licenses, synchronization licenses, etc. etc. etc. To add another marketplace of distribution into the mix would be absolute chaos. I can't overstate this enough.

The short answer: Donald S. Passman wrote a fantastic, easy-to-understand book on the ins and outs of the music business that's very cheap on Amazon right now. It's a fantastic read, and is one of the books they use in the Music Business MBA concentration at Belmont University. It will explain far better, and in far more detail, than I can on a simple forum without going into full-on dissertation mode.

Hope this helps at least a little!

Edited by BlooooContra
  • Like 1

Another good thing to keep in mind: nearly every "full show" in DCI history is over 10 minutes long. iTunes, along with other services such as Google Play and Amazon mp3, make all pieces over 10 minutes long "album only" (the only way you can get the song is if you buy the album). If DCI were to start selling their audio CDs over iTunes, then this would be the case for pretty much every single album.

Just some food for thought.

• Like 1

iTunes? Absolutely!!!! How about Drum Corps on XM/Sirius. I'd love to listen to drum corps as a radio station:)

• Like 1

Nothing much more to say about it than that.

Do they really think that a model where a few shell out a lot of cash for a product is more lucrative than a lot shelling out a few?

Maybe they can keep from releasing the past year or two on Itunes to keep from DVD/CD sales from slumping?

Not sure what the deal is, but if they put all of the shows on Itunes, they would make a crap top off of someone like me, who doesn't want to pay a zillion dollars for their CD's.

As mentioned by others:

1) $$$ - why share profits with iTunes/Apple if you can sell product on your own website and make all the profits? DCI is already set up to sell audio on demand on Fan Network, it makes no sense for them to expand and lose profit. DCI fans can go to DCI's website to download the audio they want just as easy as they can go to iTunes.

2) licensing - ANY time you change a contract, it complicates things. In this case distribution and potential profit would change for DCI, which would likely cause a re-neogitation with publishers and rights holders; in this case, it is likely DCI would have to pay MORE to obtain applicable rights, and it's also possible this deal would apply not just to iTunes but also to Fan Network. I don't think this is something DCI needs to put on their plate at this time.

3) Why bother?! - if the argument is "people will discover DCI, buy stuff exclusively on iTunes instead of FN, and DCI will gain more customers," I don't believe that. I think it's more likely DCI fans would buy product on iTunes because of how easy it would perceivably be, DCI would _LOSE_ money (with Apple taking a significant cut of the profit AND with renegotiations that would likely lead to higher rights costs), and financially it wouldn't be worth it for DCI.

DCI has FN, and it doesn't seem logical to move away from that model at this time

Between the 30% cut, the fixed prices and the aforementioned 10 minute "album only" limit (which is a big deal), posting the DCI championship archive on there would not work. That said, DCI (and the individual corps) are missing a huge sales opportunity by not putting the shorter albums on there. (Regiment Classics, Tour of Champions, State of the Art, et cetera).

Mike

An honest question: at what audio quality (kbps) are the Audio Performance Download files available?

Well for that matter - ITunes, Google Music, Amazon MP3 Store, etc. You get the drift. 90% of the other artists figure out how to make it happen.

But I guess you have to remember what DCI is, etc.