Bluecoats New Ending?

The 2014 Bluecoats have the first show that I actually enjoy added synth effects. The synth and brass pitch blend, at the end of the show, is super awesome! I was a fan the first time I heard it. I'm looking foreword to hearing it live, in La Crosse, tonight!

Agreed. Many synth effects detract from corps' otherwise raw power, but I don't see the pitch bend doing this.

However, I'm still torn on how I feel about the final impact where they double their volume by playing alongside their virtual selves.

Honest question from a guy who bangs things with sticks:

Is that 'Coats "tilt" really possible with horns?

In reality... no.

But personally I actually (I can't believe I am saying this) LIKE... ne... LOVE the synth bend effect at the end. The ending of this show is just so ballsy. If they don't screw it up by over tweaking it... this show could very well win the whole kit and kaboodle!!

I'd rather them do the pitch bends with the brass, not the synthesizer. With the synthesizer, they are pretenders, not contenders.

Really dude?

It's a cool effect done very tastefully that would be impossible without electronics.

• Like 1

Dang...I didn't think I'd get this type of a response by suggesting that the Bluecoats are not contenders.

Let me try and clear up what I meant.

The Bluecoats' show just does not have what it takes to win, period. This was already proven by the 2 point gap between them and the Blue Devils the other night. If you see the recap, it also shows judges giving the Blue Devils more room to grow over the Bluecoats in the performance vs achievement subcaptions.

The Bluecoats' show is good, don't get me wrong, and I love it. At its maximum, 97 points is probably the ceiling. I'm guessing they will top out around 96.7 or so. It's not going to be enough to win. But I think they will get 3rd.

However.

IF they can do the pitch bend with the brass well enough for it to get the audience and the judges to squeal with delight, they might get another bit of GE points out of it (perhaps one judge gives an extra .1, and another .2, avgs to .15), and given that they execute well, I think it's possible to pass The Cadets.

(Take note that there have been Gold Medals given to corps who did not win GE.)

Bottom line, good 3rd place show, possible 2nd, but not a Gold Medal show. Sorry. And that is why I used the phrase "pretenders, not contenders". They aren't going to lose the Gold because of a synthesizer, but at the same time while using it there, although the effect is nice, it is just more evidence to show that they are a 3rd place corps (along with the fact that the props are suffocating and cramping the marching space, we all know how that goes most of the time, and seems like this time around, it's not working like it works for the Devs).

Many corps would be grateful for a bronze medal, let alone 2 of them. I just don't think they are going to be able to contend for 1st.

I just hope they can keep it up and stay ahead of Crown.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

The pitch bend through the synth is congruent with their repertoire. It's music that is enhanced with electronics. Totally acceptable and worthy for consideration as a championship level music performance. Hear that, judges?

• Like 2

Didn't Cavies use this effect with the brass in 08? Granted the bend wasn't much and it was played back field at a relative soft level, but it has been done.

The effect I'm referring to in this context is the full fortissimo chord sliding down a whole step and then sliding up two whole steps. Not going to happen with valved brass instruments. Even if a corps used all slide trumpets, slide trombones and slide contrabass trombones, the sliding chord would never stay in tune throughout the slide, it would just be a mess. This is a brilliant synthesizer effect, and this genie is out of the bottle. I just hope the amplified decibel war genie is kept bottled up.

Blue Devils 2012

I was being 100 percent sarcastic.

Dang...I didn't think I'd get this type of a response by suggesting that the Bluecoats are not contenders.

Let me try and clear up what I meant.

The Bluecoats' show just does not have what it takes to win, period. This was already proven by the 2 point gap between them and the Blue Devils the other night. If you see the recap, it also shows judges giving the Blue Devils more room to grow over the Bluecoats in the performance vs achievement subcaptions.

The Bluecoats' show is good, don't get me wrong, and I love it. At its maximum, 97 points is probably the ceiling. I'm guessing they will top out around 96.7 or so. It's not going to be enough to win. But I think they will get 3rd.

However.

IF they can do the pitch bend with the brass well enough for it to get the audience and the judges to squeal with delight, they might get another bit of GE points out of it (perhaps one judge gives an extra .1, and another .2, avgs to .15), and given that they execute well, I think it's possible to pass The Cadets.

(Take note that there have been Gold Medals given to corps who did not win GE.)

Bottom line, good 3rd place show, possible 2nd, but not a Gold Medal show. Sorry. And that is why I used the phrase "pretenders, not contenders". They aren't going to lose the Gold because of a synthesizer, but at the same time while using it there, although the effect is nice, it is just more evidence to show that they are a 3rd place corps (along with the fact that the props are suffocating and cramping the marching space, we all know how that goes most of the time, and seems like this time around, it's not working like it works for the Devs).

Many corps would be grateful for a bronze medal, let alone 2 of them. I just don't think they are going to be able to contend for 1st.

I just hope they can keep it up and stay ahead of Crown.

Says the guy who was cut trying to rook-out in the top 12 back in 03. So what makes you an expert in design and judging again?

• 2 weeks later...

Says the guy who was cut trying to rook-out in the top 12 back in 03. So what makes you an expert in design and judging again?

Don't see how that's relevant over a decade later, seems like a bit of a low blow.

Also his analysis seems pretty spot on, and I have a ring. I don't think that's relevant, but I guess you do?

Anyway...

2010 finals, Bluecoats blew out my ears with their amps, it was physically painful, did not enjoy their run and my ears rang for days after. Stunning considering what I’ve done to my ears over the years

So all of you demanding louder amps, getting lower seats in front of the amps because I thought they should have been nailed on the sheets for bad mixing in 2010

I’m low at finals again this years, don’t trust them and will take earplugs. Wearing earplugs at a drum corps show because the amps are cranked up too loud is a pathetic reality of modern drum corps