DCI's Essentials Collection - The Classics: A Must Buy

$59.95 plus shipping. No thanks. I'm as Old School and T-Rex/Raptor as it gets and would like to have that DVD, but I'd pay maybe half that. D.C.I. has a self-inflated delusional notion of what their product is worth. They'd sell three times as many at $29.95.

Wait...this "Classics" release is $59.95??? Seriously? Wow. Why would anyone pay $59.95 for this?

Considering the fact that I spend $60 to fill my gas tank (and get zero enjoyment out of it), yeah, I will have no problem picking this up. Easy call.

• Like 2

If you think '93 Star would have no interest to "the old school die hards" as you call them, do you then think that 2007 BD's " Winged Victory " show ( with " old school classics like " Bird & Bela in B Flat ( 2nd Mov. )... and " Celebrae Celeberrime ", etc) would appeal to them better ? Or " 85 Suncoast Sound of " Florida Suite " made up of entirely orginal musical compositions ? I do get you point that these collections would tend to appeal to the legacy fans a bit more, but '93 Star is not as unappealing to legacy fans as you think it is, imo.

Winged victory was not on the "Classic's compilation". It was on the "winners compilation". Totally different. As for the others, absolutely yes! Every one of the others you mentioned appeals to the "old school legacy fan" much more than 93 Star does. But more relevantly, each corps represented in the "Classics collection" was only allowed ONE season and going back to my original statement; if you are going to determine which between 90 and 93 best suits the "legacy fan", 90 appeals to that crowd much more than 93. Come to think of it, so would MOST of Star's other shows.

As for your last statement...

but '93 Star is not as unappealing to legacy fans as you think it is, imo.

Then why did that show get booed so much that year?

Edited by bmjfelts1988

Then why did that show get booed so much that year?

I don't know. Most years Star came to New England and got thunderous applause and Standing O's, but in '93 their schedule did not take them into New England at all. So I can't answer your question from a personal experience account from '93 and I never made it to Jackson for Finals as I was involved myself marching with another Corps. But in all my years I have never heard a Corps booed in performance at any Boston region show. Ever. Even when the Corps is from out of the region, or the Corps show is not of the particular taste of the Boston region audience . So this booing of a Corps in performance stuff is all completely foreign to me, and so you're asking me a question that I have no answer for you.

Edited by BRASSO

While DCI has covered that range before, I do wish they'd pull their collective heads out of their rears over the 1975 Muchachos and give us that recording in one of these collections.

The great Ken Kobold who lived about 35 miles away from me, sold me a cassette tape of the Muchachos 1975 Prelim Performance! The recording was ABSOLUTLY INCREDIBLE! The tape was lost or destroyed and I did not replace it because I thought there would always be someplace to get it. I've heard some recordings from other shows and some that claim to be 1975 Prelims but none are as good as the recording I had.

Edited by Echo2014

The great Ken Kolbold who lived about 35 miles away from me, sold me a cassette tape of the Muchachos 1975 Prelim Performance! The recording was ABSOLUTLY INCREDIBLE! The tape was lost or destroyed and I did not replace it because I thought there would always be someplace to get it. I've heard some recordings from other shows and some that claim to be 1975 Prelims but none are as good as the recording I had.

I have a copy of that tape :)

There are copies of the entire '75 Muchachos show performance out there. I heard it played just a few years back as a matter of fact. ' Forget however if it was their prelims Performance or not, however. You are right. What a monster Corps they had that year. I saw them several times that summer .Its too bad they were using overage marchers and were disqualified after their Semi's in '75. Theres always a dispute on whether or not they would've beat Madison at Finals. My own personal opinion is.. probably not. As Madison that summer had a monster Corps too, and were deserving of their title. But I always felt a bit sad for the '75 Muchachos many marchers in that great Corps that season who did play by the rules, busted their tails all season long and were right there to give '75 Madison a run for their money at Finals, but never got their chance as the Muchachos Director let them down by knowingly marching overage marchers that season and were turned into DCI at Championships in Philly by The Cavaliers.

Edited by BRASSO

Last week, I bought secondhand copies of the Essentials Vol 1 and 2 Blu Rays. Absolutely loved them. I didn't realize how much was lost on the video until it was cleaned up. I'll happily buy this one in a couple of weeks as well. (And count me in for buying Star '93 if they ever include it. While there were boos, go back and listen to the end of their show - that's a pretty big roar from the audience.)

Mike