DATR 2014

What a great night in Denver last night! Thankfully the weather held off or went around Central Denver, and the cool night felt great for me - a nice break from the 100s in Texas.

This was my 2nd show of the year, and my first with good seats after catching the Ogden show on a whim with my best friend while vacationing in Wyoming & Utah earlier in the week. DATR is always one of my favorite shows, and that stadium is so perfect for Drum Corps. (Still hoping DCI comes back here after the contract is over with Indy).

Academy - (2nd Viewing) - this show has some very entertaining moments and is definitely a step up from last year. I read in the program that Klesch is back as the arranger, and it shows. Much better musical arrangements. In Ogden I didnt' think the kids bought into the show and as a result the show didn't sell well. I thought they did a slightly better job with that last night. Academy is ragged & dirty from a visual and music execution perspective. Will be interesting to see how much they can come together and try to climb back into the traditional top 17.

Cascades - (2nd viewing) - Cascades have a solid and entertaining show. Both musically and with color guard, this is a huge step up from the last couple of seasons for them, which is great to see. I thought the summer time/firebird blend was very well done in the opener. Still love this corps uniform and the bright green plumes are a great visual touch. Much more mature and well performed program from Cascades in 2014. I look forward to seeing this show again.

Mandarins - (1st viewing) - Wow, is this the largest Mandarins have ever been? I was a huge fan of their 2013 show, and it was one of the few shows where I thought narration has worked (until BK this year). This year they are more talented, with a more difficult show. However, it's just not effective for me. The narration is flat out awful. I agree with my friend from the Ogden show - if corps are going to narrate it should be live from a member (yes, I know that wasn't the case for Mandarins last year, but I think it's still a good idea). This year, the narration is sappy, and not only adds nothing, but detracts from the show. It's like with the banners and narration they are trying to force a theme on a show that would be better without one.

Pacific Crest - (2nd viewing) - I wouldn't say I love this music book like I did True Colors a couple of years ago, but PC continues to mature as a drum corps and pulls off a nicely themed No Strings Attached show with some nice visual and musical moments. One of the things I really enjoy about PC this year is just how strong, balanced and blended their hornline is. They have a very powerful and rich sound - great teaching going on there.

Oregon Crusaders - (2nd viewing) - I really dug OC 2 years ago and then last year felt like a let down to me. This year, I love the program. I think Nevermore is done very well, and again, here is narration that works (though again I wish it was live from a member). The show is dark and difficult, and OC has a ton of room to grow with this show. The guard really needs to work on the big wing flags which are black on one side & purple on the other - it's painfully obvious with the 2 sides in different colors when the work is off. The closing yellow flags with the black raven on them are super effective. Oh, and I was prepared to hate it, but I loved the electronic string player - a beautiful touch. Can't wait to see OC again.

Crossmen - (2nd viewing) - Wow, Crossmen really improved from Ogden to Denver in just a few days. A very sharp, energetic show with a lot of Crossmen groove moments which are terrific. I think the music book is a huge step up from last year's snippet-fest, although the Carmen bits in the closer are way too choppy to really sell. The guard is a very strong & a big highlight. A very well done show that already feels clean. Not sure if that bodes well or not for grabbing that 11th or 12th spot. I thought Crossment should have been closer to Scouts. My biggest complaint is that the drill, while better than last year's god awful drill, is still way to compact. It's like they have a phobia of the brass line being spread out by more than 40 yards, with very few exceptions.

Troopers - (1st viewing) - I had read mixed reviews on Troop this year. I'm sure the super-hyped Denver crowed helped, but I really enjoyed this show. The music book is classy, authentically Troopers and very effective. The America the Beautiful closer brought chills. What shocked me is how dirty Troopers are - especially their feet. If they can clean, they have a great shot at 12th. The guard is very solid and adds a great deal of effect to the show. Thank goodness this corps doesn't feel the need to go crazy modernizing their uniform. Go Troopers!

Madison Scouts - (1st viewing) - Hmm. I need to see this show again. I keep waiting for TScouts to make a big step forward ever since their 2010 and 2011 shows, but it just hasn't happend and design wise each year since seems to regress a little. I will say this - that hornline is HUGE. And they play fairly well. I don't think they really know how to write drill for an all white uniform, and visually it just felt undefined and not impactful. There were some nice moments of impact, and the guard brought it last night. I guess I need to see this show a couple of more times. I could see Scouts struggling to avoid a 11th place finish - or lower - if they don't better define this show.

Santa Clara Vanguard - (2nd viewing) - I love the opening statement - so powerful and exciting. This show has a lot of fireworks. I think, though, that so far, it feels like a shadow of 2013's stellar Les Miz show from a design perspective. Not a fan of the white jackets on this corps - the whole color scheme from guard to corps seems to be lacking in richness & depth. This seems like a "Disney" version of such a great tale & piece of classical music literature. However, they do still have time, and I won't ever underestimate Shaw & Rennick. Overall for now, though, the show feels a bit sterile (though somehow still powerful). Will be interesting to see if they can do anything to move beyond what seems like a certain 5th place.

Blue Knights - (2nd viewing) - I really liked the first 3/4s of this show in Ogden, but wow, BK blew me away last night. The entire show was rich, emotional, beautiful and oh so moving. In some ways not unlike Phantom's "Into the Light" show, but yet very different, and more sentimental. My favorite show of the year so far - by a wide margin. It's not a stand up and scream show (SCV has far more "fireworks"), but the show is so moving and full of GE. The color pallet is gorgeous, from the new unis to the flags. Just wow. In Ogden I was sitting on the left side of the stands at about the 20 (Left facing the field) and from that vantage the uniform feels too grey. Sitting more in the middle though, wow, it's just perfect. Thank you, BK for reminding me what I love most of all about drum corps - that rare show that can grab your heart and leave an impact on you that lasts for hours after the show. I find it comical how so many people on DCP write off BK every year as this being the year they fall. Folks, if you were in that camp, you couldn't be more wrong. Cavaliers better look out for this corps. I can't see them lower than 8th, unless they peak too soon.

Well, now on to my favorite week in Texas, where I get to see the Denton, San Antonio & Dallas shows in 5 days! :)

PS - I have a couple of extra tickets to both the Denton & Dallas shows if someone wants them.

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
  • Like 1

Thank you for this review. Glad I wasn't the only one that felt BK has a similar impact to Phantom's Into the Light! Both shows are spectacular and so, so, so emotional. Nice that you worded your opinions as just that - opinions, not absolutes. Thanks again!

Great review, as usual. I look forward to seeing these shows live.

Great as always Harvey!!! I'm excited for Texas week as well:)

I'll be at Round Rock and San Antonio, then it's time to do other stuff until Indy. Go Troop! Great review, thank you for taking the time to write!

• Like 1