Gone are the days......

Don't mis-read me on this. My focus on 'top corps' does not mean that I don't also enjoy Oregon Crusaders et al. That said, a cutting edge concept and design does not overcome the need for top shelf precision across the board, in marching and playing, to rise to the top 6 in DCI. For example, I don't care how many decibels the BLOO synth chords can bend, if they can't execute in tune and with minimal visual dirt. Michael Cesario in his DCI podcast parsed between spectators and fans in looking at the changes to the GE sheets this year.

And likewise, don't " mis-read " my comments above to have you think that I in any way equate placement results with my enjoyable entertainment Corps shows. For me, there is little to no relationship between the two at all. For example, there have been a few years, when even the winning DCI show is forgettable to me and I bypass it all the time on FN, as watching it during that season was more than enough for me, as it was mostly meh for me that season despite winning it all that season. On the other hand, there are lots of shows over the years that never placed in the top 7 or so that were entertaining for me then, and they still remain so today. I know I'm not alone in this either. DCI knows I 'm not alone in this thinking as well. Their" Essentials Classics" collection of shows they are currently producing on Blueray has little relationship to winning with the judges that season. Quite a few of them even finished out of the top 3 that season, but were beloved by the national fans then, and remain so today.

Edited by BRASSO

Crossmen 89,90,91,92!!!!

Yes.

2005 Crossmen show didn't make it to Finals, ( 14th ) and so its unfortunately lost to history. But that show was a HUGE musical hit with audiences at the Quarters and Semi's in 2005... one of the top 5 audience receptions at both back to back days in the Quarters, Semi's...... " Classical Gas ".... " Radar Love ".... " So Far Away ".... " Paradise by the Dashboard Light ". DCI judges didn't particularly care for it, but the audience sure did.

Edited by BRASSO

And likewise, don't " mis-read " my comments above to have you think that I in any way equate placement results with my enjoyable entertainment Corps shows. For me, there is little to no relationship between the two at all. For example, there have been a few years, when even the winning DCI show is forgettable to me and I bypass it all the time on FN, as watching it during that season was more than enough for me, as it was mostly meh for me that season despite winning it all that season. On the other hand, there are lots of shows over the years that never placed in the top 7 or so that were entertaining for me then, and they still remain so today. I know I'm not alone in this either. DCI knows I 'm not alone in this thinking as well. Their" Essentials Classics" collection of shows they are currently producing on Blueray has little relationship to winning with the judges that season. Quite a few of them even finished out of the top 3 that season, but were beloved by the national fans then, and remain so today.

Yes...that's why Madison 2011 entertained me more than higher placing shows that year, although execution was spotty.

Your examples don't prove the point. The point is it is NOT happening consistently anymore. Since you mentioned names..... yes, Crown's drum line deserved to be 6th. But what about at semi-finals when they "magically" scored above a 19 for the first time ever in the season, and their battery was nowhere near justifying that score??

We can throw numbers around all day, but as I entitled the thread... gone are the days when on any given day or night - no matter the quality of the performance.... there are green shirts on the roster that are afraid to do the right thing.

Wait a minute...maybe they dId deserve a 19 at semis, and the judge gave it to them. After all, on any given day or night...maybe you just disproved your thesis.

One exasperating fact about the activity is we label just one corps at a time as 'winner.' Everyone else gets the false impression they are some sort of 'loser.' I don't know how to correct this, do you?

Don't mis-read me on this. My focus on 'top corps' does not mean that I don't also enjoy Oregon Crusaders et al. That said, a cutting edge concept and design does not overcome the need for top shelf precision across the board, in marching and playing, to rise to the top 6 in DCI. For example, I don't care how many decibels the BLOO synth chords can bend, if they can't execute in tune and with minimal visual dirt. Michael Cesario in his DCI podcast parsed between spectators and fans in looking at the changes to the GE sheets this year.

Agree...I never base my 'enjoyment' factor on placement. It is actually quite rare that the top corps is actually a personal favorite in a given year. Doesn't mean I disagree with the placements...actually that is very rare, and I know enough to know that I don't really know enough to make across the board decisions on all captions while watching a show for 'enjoyment'.

Yes...that's why Madison 2011 entertained me more than higher placing shows that year, although execution was spotty.

Yup...for me 2012 BK 'Avian' might be my personal favorite show of the past 4 or 5 years based on my enjoyment level, yet I did not disagree with where they placed, as much as I loved watching/hearing them.

Yup...for me 2012 BK 'Avian' might be my personal favorite show of the past 4 or 5 years based on my enjoyment level, yet I did not disagree with where they placed, as much as I loved watching/hearing them.

Oh man, I LOVED that show. My inner nerd went crazy! (well I guess its not so inner now I think about it).

• Like 1

One exasperating fact about the activity is we label just one corps at a time as 'winner.' Everyone else gets the false impression they are some sort of 'loser.' I don't know how to correct this, do you?

Sure, call everyone below 1st place a "Near Winner", and give everyone a trophy!

[/sarcasm]

Just curious why this is a problem when, in fact, there can be only one winner at any given show or during any given season.

What do we call the team that loses the Super Bowl, the World Series, the Olympics, the local high school band competition...?