TOC - Warrensburg MO

Totally surprising that the corps that's already beaten BD, beats them again. It was a .6 spread! How is that "surprising"? They've got the only perfect score in DCI History (and recently) and 4 of the last 5 Jim Ott awards. It still surprises you when they win brass?! It's the one thing they consistently do at the absolute top of the activity. BD finished 3rd in brass. Had you said it's surprising the Cadets beat BD, I'd understand some level of surprise or if Crown beat BD in drums, that would be surprising!

You get surprised at weird things. FYI - The sun is going to go down.....but don't worry cause it will come back.

Edit:....a word

Cavaliers brass 2002 Frameworks got a perfect score as well

I have a lot of the same thoughts as you. Bluecoats appear to be in a holding pattern compared to the groups around them...I could look back to earlier videos and the performance level/cleanliness would be much the same...whereas everyone else is changing, polishing, and cleaning! After the Bend section...the push to the end...need something to sustain the energy with no gaps all the way to the end, think SCV '99 with Blue Shades. Something along those lines would be worth 1.5 points alone, last impressions are the most important. The have the outline for it and the horses to pull it off...time to seize the moment BC!!! Little more beef to the guard book would not hurt either.

Out of everyone I have seen the videos of...SCV might just have the best chance to catch BD, but I have the same feeling that are trying too hard to avoid 2004. Let it a happen for a moment here and there and it could be enough to push them into contention....that and continue to clean the feet!

Crown certainly has the rep and the strength across all captions, but can they clarify the show enough for the GE to come through? If they do that they will be in contention based on rep and performance alone.

Cadets - Vintage Copland show for them and for the most part it works. This is the least offensive narration from them ever! Strong across all captions and solid GE...but what the show is really lacking in is "Cadet like moments." Get back to what you do best, tag ending please??, and continue to refine the use of the stage, you should be good! BTW, that concert set at the end cost you an easy .3-.4 last night...total train wreck for mid July and to stand in that at the end, yikes!

Every other contender's biggest issue is the Blue Devils. Already in the driver's seat and winning GE already with plenty to add and clean! Classy, well constructed, vintage BD performance level in all captions. This is going to be a dynamo come August. Still to look past the guard uniforms on the guys though...guess we can't have everything.

Edit...on the Hasselhoff comment...thinking a disco remix of Hooked on a Feeling...nothing good can come from that image!!

you scare me when we agree

Totally surprising that the corps that's already beaten BD, beats them again. It was a .6 spread! How is that "surprising"? They've got the only perfect score in DCI History (and recently) and 4 of the last 5 Jim Ott awards. It still surprises you when they win brass?! It's the one thing they consistently do at the absolute top of the activity. BD finished 3rd in brass. Had you said it's surprising the Cadets beat BD, I'd understand some level of surprise or if Crown beat BD in drums, that would be surprising!

You get surprised at weird things. FYI - The sun is going to go down.....but don't worry cause it will come back.

Edit:....a word

I can see why people think it's s urprise given how much time Crowns brass spends running around the field not playing a note

• Like 2

Again, you've proven the point. You are all like old men who never want to give up their high school football glory. I think it's you all who can't make a fair comparison because you can't get the 30 year old cob webs out of your mind. I swear you guys are like the Amish of drum corps. At least I have the ability to look back at the years I marched and era I grew up and realize it pales in comparison to today's activity.

There is no way on God's green Earth that a horn line from 1986 matches with a modern corps therefore comparing the horn lines is easy. Obviously a modern book is harder and better performed therefore it's no competition. I'd put anyone in the top 12 against 1986 Suncoast as better.

ah grasshopper, there's something you may not get.

see while drill in days gone by may not have been what it is today, books were actually far notier. they also didn't have synths to supplement their sound. So really it's apples vs oranges. But we'll let you think you know it all.It makes it more fun when people school you

• Like 3

Was that an alien face? [in Crown's show.]

That's how I've been interpreting it.

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss 2013 BD after seeing their 2014 field show.

Could you explain why?

HOW IS CROWN NOT IN FIRST!! CAN IT BR ANY MORE OBVIOUS!

I'm trying to parse "can it br". Is that supposed to read "brrr" as a reference to the summer polar vortex? Or is it short for "Br"oken Arrow, whose band you recently suggested was good enough to make DCI Finals?

• Like 1

I can see why people think it's s urprise given how much time Crowns brass spends running around the field not playing a note

But then Cadets won the Ott at Championships doing the same thing. They actually played an easier book that year (Angels and Demons) - at one point they did not play for 2 minutes and 10 seconds during the drum break and fight scene. But I guess that is considered innovative for them to do it. That's a long time not to play. Essentially programming a lip break in a show. That does not include the other parts if not playing in that show .........

GH was the first person to call when Star of Indiana's drum line had some breaks on their Philip Glass show. He was rabid about that and called everyone he could at the end of each show. I was right there - so....I think only certain groups are permitted to program breaks in their horn line or DRUMLINE. Crown actually has an element of difficulty in it's book when compared to of the other two TOC. Mallet runs are not hiding anything - IMO.

Edited by icecubeguy

I'm trying to parse "can it br". Is that supposed to read "brrr" as a reference to the summer polar vortex? Or is it short for "Br"oken Arrow, whose band you recently suggested was good enough to make DCI Finals?

The "br" thing because I have fat fingers on an iPhone while being enthusiastic with out my reading glasses on -

Actually the Broken Arrow referencing was comparing the level of programming (High School level) that is now considered high demanding in DCI. I go to shows to what I can't see at A HS Band competition. I have a new HS level band show being accepted as a DCI contender. Just saying. I thought with that kind of blind acceptance to the Presidents show anything were possible. It's amazing what and how things are hidden or how much drinking of the Kool aid.

I know Broken Arrow,Avon or Ronald Reagan HS would not compare on DCI level from a performance level but with..........programming, staging, use of negative space and any other design element - yes. Especially with top two Again IMO rooted in writing, teaching and judging.