TOC - Warrensburg MO

But then Cadets won the Ott at Championships doing the same thing. They actually played an easier book that year (Angels and Demons) - at one point they did not play for 2 minutes and 10 seconds during the drum break and fight scene. But I guess that is considered innovative for them to do it. That's a long time not to play. Essentially programming a lip break in a show. That does not include the other parts if not playing in that show .........

GH was the first person to call when Star of Indiana's drum line had some breaks on their Philip Glass show. He was rabid about that and called everyone he could at the end of each show. I was right there - so....I think only certain groups are permitted to program breaks in their horn line or DRUMLINE. Crown actually has an element of difficulty in it's book when compared to of the other two TOC. Mallet runs are not hiding anything - IMO.

Wait, Star did a Philip Glass show?

Wait, Star did a Philip Glass show?

That was the Kansas City Star.

• Like 3

But then Cadets won the Ott at Championships doing the same thing. They actually played an easier book that year (Angels and Demons) - at one point they did not play for 2 minutes and 10 seconds during the drum break and fight scene. But I guess that is considered innovative for them to do it. That's a long time not to play. Essentially programming a lip break in a show. That does not include the other parts if not playing in that show .........

GH was the first person to call when Star of Indiana's drum line had some breaks on their Philip Glass show. He was rabid about that and called everyone he could at the end of each show. I was right there - so....I think only certain groups are permitted to program breaks in their horn line or DRUMLINE. Crown actually has an element of difficulty in it's book when compared to of the other two TOC. Mallet runs are not hiding anything - IMO.

Angels and Demons didn't win the Ott, and Star didn't do a Philip Glass show. Shows have had drum breaks since the beginning of drum corps, and on average they were much longer in the past than now.

• Like 1

Um, Cadets didn't win the Ott for Angels & Demons. And the brass book for that program was anything but "easy"

Star of Indiana didn't play a phillip glass show - so I'm not what year you're referring to?

BD/Cadets/Crown and several other top corps this year have very tough brass books with various challenges. Staging and stylistically Cadets book is very tough. Crown has some crazy timing and run challenges. BD's book is extremely demanding as well

So I'm VERY confused what you are talking about.

Angels and Demons didn't win the Ott, and Star didn't do a Philip Glass show. Shows have had drum breaks since the beginning of drum corps, and on average they were much longer in the past than now.

i reject your reality and substitute my own! crown plays 32nd notes 100% of the time with perfect tone quality. this is absolute fact.

• Like 3

AND, the 7 Otts Cadets won (it's 7 right? 83, 84, 85, 87, 95, 00, 05?), only 1 of them had a significant drum break where the brass didn't play at all (05).

Should we take back Cadet's Sanford trophy from last year because they didn't play during the ballad?

Again, you've proven the point. You are all like old men who never want to give up their high school football glory. I think it's you all who can't make a fair comparison because you can't get the 30 year old cob webs out of your mind. I swear you guys are like the Amish of drum corps. At least I have the ability to look back at the years I marched and era I grew up and realize it pales in comparison to today's activity.

There is no way on God's green Earth that a horn line from 1986 matches with a modern corps therefore comparing the horn lines is easy. Obviously a modern book is harder and better performed therefore it's no competition. I'd put anyone in the top 12 against 1986 Suncoast as better.

Dude, I really shouldn't, but another part of maturity is reading comprehension. I never said that the 86 Suncoast brass line was better than the 2013 Crown brass line. I simply agreed that the 86 corps receiving a 9.9 in Field Brass with 5 units left to perform, including 86 BD was perhaps a more impressive feat than Crown's "perfect" score last year. It is fairly obvious that Bill Doyle gave Suncoast a 9.9 with the intention of leaving room, just in case one of the five corps yet to perform did a better job on his sheets. None did, none even tied. Conversely, Crown went on last at finals, so the judges had already ranked and rated everyone else. They did not need to leave room, so if they felt that Crown deserved 10s, they could (and did) grant them.

As to your comments about us "old men", you are painting with an awfully wide brush. John (Kamarag) is 2 years older than I am, has marched with and taught some of the best corps in the activity's history, and knows his ####. He is also a very vocal supporter of modern drum corps. Likewise, I feel you may have no idea who George Dixon is. I don't know his age, but I would guess it's in the same ballpark, and, in this thread alone, you will find him positively gushing about shows this year. Many of the other posters of "an advanced age" posting on this and other threads have been similarly very positive, myself included.

I am not saying that the people you describe don't exist, of course they do. And when they spout their silliness, it tends to make all of us "legacy" fans look bad. Just like you calling those of us that actively support modern drum corps (see, I am not even calling them "brass bands" or some other foolishness) "old windbags" reflects pretty poorly on your generation of fans.

So, read what we are saying. It is entirely possible to have marched in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s and still enjoy the programs out there today. I know that I do, else I would not be going to Allentown next month, nor would I have attended at least one live show nearly every year since I aged out, including Finals in 1996, 1997, 1998, 2003 and 2005. I think that you (like many younger fans) are seeing criticism of a corps that you apparently really like and interpreting that as some sort of slam against all modern corps. Personally, I feel that Crown's show last year was at or near the absolute pinnacle of a perfectly designed and executed show, minus a (comparative to the rest of the corps) weak drumline. I felt that from about this point last year up to and through their Finals performance. This year, the corps is also very, very good, but they have not hit that point of greatness, yet. Will they? Perhaps. Are there other shows that I, personally, enjoy more this year? Yep. Guess what, that's ok.

/soapbox

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum
  • Like 8

Um, Cadets didn't win the Ott for Angels & Demons. And the brass book for that program was anything but "easy"

Star of Indiana didn't play a phillip glass show - so I'm not what year you're referring to?

BD/Cadets/Crown and several other top corps this year have very tough brass books with various challenges. Staging and stylistically Cadets book is very tough. Crown has some crazy timing and run challenges. BD's book is extremely demanding as well

So I'm VERY confused what you are talking about.

Although the Ott part may have been wrong I think the point was, in response to someone bashing Crown for having a 'long' break in their show, to point out that this is not unusual even among highly regarded show, using Angels & Demons as an example of such a show.

This whole business of obsessively counting how many seconds people don't march or don't play as a means to diminish the accomplishments of another corps is getting old.

• Like 2

Tangent thought to the "brass only plays for X minutes" topic: How come folks get all jacked up about brass playing time, yet no one says a word when the drumline parks on the back sideline for the ballad?

Oh, there have been big debates in DCP about this too, believe me. Maybe the participants will care to identify themselves, and point out the threads.