TOC - Warrensburg MO

Although the Ott part may have been wrong I think the point was, in response to someone bashing Crown for having a 'long' break in their show, to point out that this is not unusual even among highly regarded show, using Angels & Demons as an example of such a show.

This whole business of obsessively counting how many seconds people don't march or don't play as a means to diminish the accomplishments of another corps is getting old.

there was no bashing at least by me. and knowing how people post on here in "expert fashion" without actually knowing the sheets, I can see why people are confused with Crown winning brass. To many in the game, young AND old, he who plays the most notes all of the time while being the crazy stupidest visually wins

Tangent thought to the "brass only plays for X minutes" topic: How come folks get all jacked up about brass playing time, yet no one says a word when the drumline parks on the back sideline for the ballad?

because if we did play you'd ##### that we ruined it LOL

there was no bashing at least by me. and knowing how people post on here in "expert fashion" without actually knowing the sheets, I can see why people are confused with Crown winning brass. To many in the game, young AND old, he who plays the most notes all of the time while being the crazy stupidest visually wins

Sorry, thought you were being serious with the whole "given how much time Crowns brass spends running around the field not playing a note" thing.

Just once I'd like to see an extended percussion feature (yea, no one does those anymore) where the brass just goes off to the sides and sits down for two minutes. It would be epic.

last true extended drum break I can remember is BK 93 with "Little Green men".

Just once I'd like to see an extended percussion feature (yea, no one does those anymore) where the brass just goes off to the sides and sits down for two minutes. It would be epic.

Crown 2014

Sorry, thought you were being serious with the whole "given how much time Crowns brass spends running around the field not playing a note" thing.

it's all good.

see I actually believe less can be more

• Like 1

But then Cadets won the Ott at Championships doing the same thing. They actually played an easier book that year (Angels and Demons) - at one point they did not play for 2 minutes and 10 seconds during the drum break and fight scene. But I guess that is considered innovative for them to do it. That's a long time not to play. Essentially programming a lip break in a show. That does not include the other parts if not playing in that show .........

GH was the first person to call when Star of Indiana's drum line had some breaks on their Philip Glass show. He was rabid about that and called everyone he could at the end of each show. I was right there - so....I think only certain groups are permitted to program breaks in their horn line or DRUMLINE. Crown actually has an element of difficulty in it's book when compared to of the other two TOC. Mallet runs are not hiding anything - IMO.

Ah I was wondering when you'd show up. Welcome to our timeline. You see, icecubeguy is from an alternate timeline from ours where Star won their 3rd championship in 1996 with a Phillip Glass show. They had decided to put off the Canadian Brass / Blast thing until 1997. Cadets DID win the Ott in 2011, in that timeline anyway, though that show was entitled "Angelus et Daemonium".

• Like 3

Right...like the drum lines usually do for the horn line...back of the field, facing backwards just standing there while the drumline does some sick roto tom/snare/cymbal things with all kinds of crazy sticking, maybe even have the tenors join in the fun....then the bass drum line sets their drums down in a circle propper up by whatever, ppl in the middle rotating around like the Cavies marimba's with tenors going around the outside banging sick off beats. Meanwhile the enitre pit has picked up pairs of cymbals doing some crazy backflips while smashing them together simultaneously smashing them to the person next to them flipping the other way. Syncopation heaven! The have the horns on at the end do some Cavies style wave drill, but make it different by covering the entire field while the color guard throws rifles and flags all over the place...something like that lol!?!?!?!?!?

I mispoke about the Ott award - I meant to say the corps went on to win Championships that year. For that I apologize -

I don't believe I gave a date or year for the Star reference - that show I was referencing was 93 season.

My point was everyone has had sections lay out for awhile - programming related. Some directors who complain forget who has done it in the past - basically everyone.