TOC - Warrensburg MO

Bluecoats' fans tonight:

brazil-single-fan.jpg

The Bluecoats will be fine. Just my personal opinion here (worth nothing): I think 'Coats have held back on cleaning the visual until they ironed out some other things musically and with visual construction. It does seem other corps are getting cleaner at a faster rate. As Blooo cleans I believe you will see their scores spike. As good as Cavaliers are this year, and even with Phantom cleaning and getting much better, I CANNOT see Bluecoats losing to those corps. It might happen at a TOC show, but not at a DCI show, and not come Finals.

SCV does have a bit higher degree of demand in their show (vs Blooo), and honestly, as SCV cleans I think Crown and Cadets better watch out. I was luke-warm on that show back in June. Having watched the tail-end of last night's show (I'm on vacation so I couldn't see the entire webcast) I am starting to believe top 2 might be a possibility.

Of course, Cadets and Crown look super amazing to me in most respects. Each show has a few things I don't care for, but for the most part they are outstanding shows with lots of entertainment, complexity, and artistry packed into the whole. BD looks amazing, but hasn't exactly pulled away from the pack; but beating them will take a Herculean effort.

Well geez. I was considering chiming in, but I don't see the point since you know this activity and all.

Now now, don't take my words out of context. In context, the only thing I meant by that was that I am able to tell what is good and bad, just like you probably can. You probably "know" the activity just as well if not more than I do. That's all I meant.

What a surprise. A very small group of Crown haters already predicting the demise of Crown.

This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon folks. Lot's more to come

Actually, the tone of this thread, after the scores, is predicting the demise of Bluecoats. It's funny how much some people let numbers influence their opinion of a corps performance.

I was at the show last night and had a great time! Had two drum corps noobies with me and they really enjoyed the show as well. Here are a few of my thoughts of each group in ascending order of score:

Phantom Regiment: The improvements to the show are definitely helping. The kids are playing well, but I just don't feel the demand is there. Thompson's drill seemed a bit flat to me as well, something I haven't said in a long time.

The Cavaliers: Great performance and excellent brass this year! Much improved show design over last year. I was especially impressed with their dark tone and low brass.

Bluecoats: This one absolutely blew me away. I was net expecting it to be my favorite show of the night. The energy in the playing was incredible! Definitely the crowd favorite by far (based on those around me). It had people out of their seats well before the show ended. That said, the drill does need to be cleaned up, which I'm confident they will do before August. Excellent use of props.

Santa Clara: Great performance and powerful brass section. Really enjoyed the writing (thanks JD). Color guard was very fun to watch. To quote the scholar next to me "I like them cuz they weren't loud, and then they were." Indeed sir. Indeed.

Carolina Crown: What's not to love? Brass incredible, drums are MUCH improved over last season, great guard. I did notice a bit of a timing issue in the first quarter of the show? Could have just been where I was sitting. One thing I noticed was that they didn't seem as... loud as last year. Brass is excellent and controlled, just not as in your face.

Cadets: Toward the end, the narration was starting to annoy me, but I've never been that big of a fan of it to begin with. That aside, they sounded great and the crowd loved them. I really enjoy their drill (as I do most years).

Blue Devils: Well done! I feel this show is much more fan friendly than the last 2-3 years. Wonderful music selections and excecution. Appropriate use of props and outstanding marching technique, as usual. Love the new uniforms and the occasional hint of red.

Overall I feel it's a great year for drum corps! Congratulations to the performers.

• Like 3

it's July 14th. lots of shifting to come

Unfortunately, the scores don't indicate (and haven't for a while) that the judges perceive any sort of shifting. The only competitive corps tonight by overall score are Crown and SCV. These groups couldn't be more concretely slotted if the corps directors held a preseason conference to design their shows to finish in exact positions. The judges aren't scoring like they did in 2007 (as if they learned a lesson)... but they should be scoring much closer. The lesson from 2000 is that fans want a winner... it doesn't mean that judges should assign such wide and clear margins to ensure early and consistent placement. I don't see these placements moving... maybe SCV over crown... maybe Cavies nudge Bluecoats. But full point gaps, neatly ordered one after another, with no competitive groupings are a message from the judging community.

But, hey, maybe a point means less than it used to... but I doubt it.

Just to be clear... I'm not saying that they have the order wrong... I am saying that the spread is too clear and perfect to be true (even in the captions, to some degree). I'm calling the judges lazy. There is more competition than this in the ranks, and they are not calling it. It's time they put some skin in the game, and utilize those "." "tenths" and "hundredths".

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

I am not going to comment on how much Coats are getting hosed this year... I am not going to comment on how much Coats are getting hosed this year... I am not going to...

But the Coats are getting hosed this year.

Lets be honest, we aren't ALL idiots. Some of us could judge a show perfectly fine. Most of us have a lot of experience in this activity. We are not blind, nor are we deaf. A very large majority of us believe that Coats should be scoring better. It has already been pointed out the dramatic drop in their scoring when DCI switched to younger judges back to the old farts. That should tell us something right there.

This is clearly, and obviously at least a top three show in comparison what else is being put on the field right now.

Go ahead and argue with me... that's fine. I know this activity. I know what is dirty and what is not. I know what sounds good and does not. And when this many people are in an agreement that a show, regardless of who is performing it, should be scoring better, then yes, the very tiny minority that is not agreeing with it, should figure it out.

I hate to be this blunt, and frankly rude about what is happening, but DCI is not growing any faster when it continues to judge any group this far off.

The Bluecoats have payed their dues, it is the fan favorite, the design is impeccable, and the performers are performing at a very high level. Its time they get the respect from the judging community that they have clearly earned, just as they have earned it from the fans, including myself... a former Bluecoat hater.

Boom.

I hate to add fuel to the fire for you but their performance tonight was dirty. Not going to win or get higher scores with a show as dirty as it is. Right from the beginning the marching was god so dirty..They need to clean it and clean it this week. They are falling behind yes, but not because of judging. :mellow:

• Like 1

Cool of a Crown to pay tribute to Phil Collins so close to him passing away

He did die, right? That's what I heard in the parking lot the other night before the bus left at least...

But in the days of iphones and Androids this kind of thing doesn't work anymore...just another tradition lost...

I was a little put off by Dan Potters remark after BD performance :grrr: . Only reason is that the remark will fuel speculation :fight: that the new champion has already been decided. "Let's Here if for the next World Champions!!" :giljotiini: OOPS.. Poor Dan :help: . Probably hearing it this morning from more than a few. Announcers need to be more careful. :doh:

Edited by jonwoody
  • Like 1

I find it hard to believe that the guard scored that low after other shows scoring higher--they have new people heading the caption and this score seems like a throwback to the last few years when they scored in this range. Can it be that the judges are indeed lazy and just putting them where they have been these past years? it all seems too familiar and predictable and it shouldn't be.

Edited by Jast45