TOC - Warrensburg MO

Maybe I don't understand how judges are supposed to interpret the sheets but what would drive me nuts if I were Bluecoats staff is how the content/substance scores have been so wildly varied. At Ft. Wayne, 'coats guard topped the Devils in substance 87-85 then last night, less than a week later, it is 91-84 in favor of the BD for a 9 point swing. That's not execution but content. Can someone explain that? Drum line content scores went from 87-86 in favor of Bluecoats to 90-85 in BD'S favor for 6 point swing. I can see how execution scores might jump around for good or sloppy runs of a show but the content/substance it seems to me is either competitive or not and variances of this degree are puzzling.

Another dynamic in numbers management to help account for the relative spreads....when there are more corps of similar rankings, with respect to the boxes on sheets, at a show spreads will open op. If only BD and Coats were at the show the spread may very well have been 1.5-2.0 points, but when 3-4 similar corps are there that happen to fit in between...spreads will open. Not saying I agree with this dynamic but there is no doubt that it happens.

I wonder if the TOC is at their peak of their show design. They all have done a great job to this point. What else can they really clean.

I wonder if the TOC is at their peak of their show design. They all have done a great job to this point. What else can they really clean.

A lot. Not a one of them is without moments of dirt. Some more than others, but they all have them.

That's not counting the cleaning they'll have to do with the inevitable changes to come down the stretch.

Let's face it, the SAME judge could give a different score on a different night. It makes total sense that scores could change with different judges on different nights! What if SCV performed quite well and the bluecoats had visual issues? What if BD and Cavaliers actually had better drumlines than the coats? Just because you like the Bluecoats the most doesn't mean they are the most technical and are producing the greatest effect. There's no conspiracy here, I've seen the Bluecoats through the stream and in person. They are doing many more crowd pleasing things with less actual demand and nuance.

• Like 1

Another dynamic in numbers management to help account for the relative spreads....when there are more corps of similar rankings, with respect to the boxes on sheets, at a show spreads will open op. If only BD and Coats were at the show the spread may very well have been 1.5-2.0 points, but when 3-4 similar corps are there that happen to fit in between...spreads will open. Not saying I agree with this dynamic but there is no doubt that it happens.

Agree with your explanation... absolutely find the practice unethical. It's this type of behavior that causes the fan claims of preconceived placement.

I ranted on this a few pages ago. Surprised nobody jumped down my throat for it. These full point spreads are frankly unhelpful and implausible if not impossible. If corps are competitive then the judges should demonstrate this in the score via close point values and groupings. This ranking with full point intervals is lazy. It seems all the more obvious with SCV, the new addition to the crowd tonight being the only corps to fall out of the pattern. I can hear the judging mental processes "shoot... I have to fit these guys in... I didn't leave room!"

My other post is more articulate.

Haven't read every page of this thread, but doesn't order of appearance (like last night)play into the judges placements for all corps in their caption?

A lot. Not a one of them is without moments of dirt. Some more than others, but they all have them.

Absolutely. Even BD, probably the cleanest, has lines that aren't quite straight, spacing that isn't quite even, tables that don't quite align, etc.