TOC - Warrensburg MO

We've seen captions all over the place this season (well, some captions more than others, and for some groups of corps more than others, but still...). Even with that, it's fascinated me that, in the first few weeks, the spread Cadets had over Crown and/or Bluecoats remained pretty static. And lately, Cadets were almost exactly 1 point beneath BD at each of the 3 shows. In fact, the last 2 nights, if I did my math right, BD was > Cadets by the same exact margins for the 3 major caption groups. Very weird!!

No, no... full point spreads throughout the ranks don't suggest competitive relationships. Different show styles can be judged against each other because the score is largely awarded within the context of intent. It is true that corps A could play half as many difficult passages as corps B and still manage to compete due to the fact that the literature and intent of corps A determines the quantity of such passages. For corps A to add more would defeat the intent of the liturature. Cont. Rep. and Comp. do not refer exclusively to difficulty. They refer to difficulty within the context of purpose and intent.

These spreads should be closer... maybe grouped in tiers... maybe not... but consistent point spreads represent fairly concrete ranking.

Full-point spreads can be very misleading. You have to look at the captions, and then understand what's called the "value of a tenth". One-two tenths in a caption means the two corps are very close, and the ranking could swap on another night. 3-4 means you're in the ballpark of the corps ahead of you, but you have work to do...but you aren't out. 5 or more means those two corps aren't on the same level.

You can *easily* have corps 1-2 tenths per caption in spreads competing against each other, and it all adds up to a full point or more. You have to look at where that full point (or more) is coming from.

Full-point spreads can be very misleading. You have to look at the captions, and then understand what's called the "value of a tenth". One-two tenths in a caption means the two corps are very close, and the ranking could swap on another night. 3-4 means you're in the ballpark of the corps ahead of you, but you have work to do...but you aren't out. 5 or more means those two corps aren't on the same level.

You can *easily* have corps 1-2 tenths per caption in spreads competing against each other, and it all adds up to a full point or more. You have to look at where that full point (or more) is coming from.

I agree completely. Usually a 2 point total spread suggests lack of competition. My issue is with the consistency of the point spread through the ranking. See my last post, just before this one.

I agree completely. Usually a 2 point total spread suggests lack of competition. My issue is with the consistency of the point spread through the ranking. See my last post, just before this one.

You still have to be careful, and factor in contest dynamics. That can and will have an affect on number to some degree.

If you want to see bananas recap, check out the DCA show from Wayne, NJ. Those guys had ranks all over the place (and rightly so...I was at the show).

Is there a real debate, hype aside? Chicago may have the best brass, but Cleveland has for six decades had the best orchestra in the US, and on par with Vienna and Berlin. Cleveland plays like a string quartet, which is no surprise as their concertmaster was for years the first violinist of the famed Cleveland Quartet before they disbanded, and he studied with the former concertmaster of the Cleveland under Szell - Josef Gingold - and Szell taught the orchestra to listen and play like a quartet. So the central european tradition is handed down in Cleveland.

And the just hired Lebron to play tam tam, so they'll be fine going forward.

Chicago and New York and LA phil get more hype though, because they're on the radio and TV more, and the media in the bigger cities naturally assume that their local band is the best.

But if we let the WGI people into this orchestra business, Cleveland will be in as much trouble as Minnesota. ;)

Actually, there is no 'best' orchestra......certainly Philly is playing as well as ever, and the Chicago brass thing is an old cliche.....the latter has fab winds and a luminous string section these days in their love affair with Muti. Cleveland rocks, of course, and Berlin is a beast under Rattle.

• Like 1

In other words emc2, you mean other corps, currently below these corps in scoring, can move up too if not pass one or two of these corps.

No. i would think that will happen.

We've seen captions all over the place this season (well, some captions more than others, and for some groups of corps more than others, but still...). Even with that, it's fascinated me that, in the first few weeks, the spread Cadets had over Crown and/or Bluecoats remained pretty static. And lately, Cadets were almost exactly 1 point beneath BD at each of the 3 shows. In fact, the last 2 nights, if I did my math right, BD was > Cadets by the same exact margins for the 3 major caption groups. Very weird!!

Yeah. As soon as BD was added into the mix, these forums.. er I mean scores descended into chaos.

• Like 1

Don't worry, I'm sure they like the way they look.

Which reminds me: Best guard uniforms this year- hands down: Cavies.

My pick is SCV especially with the adding of the long white coats that the male guard wear at the beginning of the show.