TOC - Warrensburg MO

BD went on fairly early and the judges handed out some big numbers, but they still left plenty of room for others to step up to the plate and take BD down. BD set the standard and everyone else sorted themselves out underneath. Appears that's the way nearly all the judges saw it last night.

Interesting thing is, limited audio via recording I know, is that Crown won brass despite a couple of edgy releases and feet coming through the trumpet section sound in the later third of the show. No idea where the brass judge was at on the field though...they clean that stuff up and that rep number may get perfect!

I think if Cadets wouldn't have ended in a mess set AND put their show silks and guard uniform changes in that gap would have been smaller.

Crown's brass win was a little surprising to be honest.

The end of the show as it currently stands (so to speak) is not musically satisfying or visually exciting. The problem is, a frantic tag ending at the conclusion of "Simple Gifts" would undermine the majesty and stateliness that the whole show works to create.

This is exactly the problem with the Bluecoats' panic-attack drill following the pitch-bend musical ending. Lot of fun, sure, but it detracts from the dramatic musical conclusion. I am curious to see how the Cadets resolve this.

I think they do a musical build up from arc, not finish there and Jay writes a fast paced compilation of the show music (think end of 2012 Christmas show), and gives Jeff the opportunity to write a great Cadets drill to seal the deal.

I thought BD had it. I guess there's something funny about that.

Totally surprising that the corps that's already beaten BD, beats them again. It was a .6 spread! How is that "surprising"? They've got the only perfect score in DCI History (and recently) and 4 of the last 5 Jim Ott awards. It still surprises you when they win brass?! It's the one thing they consistently do at the absolute top of the activity. BD finished 3rd in brass. Had you said it's surprising the Cadets beat BD, I'd understand some level of surprise or if Crown beat BD in drums, that would be surprising!

You get surprised at weird things. FYI - The sun is going to go down.....but don't worry cause it will come back.

Edit:....a word

Edited by caliswift

Totally surprising that the corps that's already beaten BD, beats them again. It was a .6 spread! How is that "surprising"? They've got the only perfect score in DCI History (and recently) and 4 of the last 5 Jim Ott awards. It still surprises you when they win brass?! It's the one thing they consistently do at the absolute top of the activity. BD finished 3rd in brass. Had you said it's surprising the Cadets beat BD, I'd understand some level of surprise or if Crown beat BD in drums, that would be surprising!

You get surprised at weird things. FYI - The sun is going to go down.....but don't work cause it will come back.

OK, mister, that does it. Go to your time out chair.

• Like 1

ok I get why my saying "Crown took high brass was surprising" sounds crazy

Obviously they do that a lot!

I was just surprised last night when they took high brass because frankly they didn't sound good on the feed - but I wasn't there so...

Anyway - I get what your saying. Sorry - it's never really "a shocker" when they take high brass. I should explain myself better I guess

• Like 2

BD did get a perfect 20 in brass at quarterfinals in 2004.

Of course, I've always suspected that was mostly because Calhoun ran out of space on his sheet, because they were absolutely better the following night but the score dipped.

...and then Cavies ran away with it. :tounge2:

Edited by geluf
  • Like 1