Sondheim's Evening Primrose?

Just wondering if any corps has ever done this little-known set of Sondheim compositions. Had my shuffle going this morning and Take Me To The World with Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters came on. That got me thinking the music has a bit of everything and just wondered if it was challenging/engaging enough to work as a show concept. Any answer welcome but particularly interested in folks who know about musical books and whether or not this would translate to the field.

Sunday in the Park with George wouldnt be bad either.

Edited by MelloMatt
  • Like 1

Corps have used that in the past.

How long ago? (I'd check corpsreps but its down). I cannot recall anyone doing it recently.

How long ago? (I'd check corpsreps but its down). I cannot recall anyone doing it recently.

I don't think anyone has done it within the last few years, but it has been done over the years by multiple corps. I want to say Colts on the DCI side, and maybe Empire Statesmen or Bushwhackers on the DCA side (but again, don't quote me).

Edited by Kamarag

I don't think anyone has done it within the last few years, but it has been done over the years by multiple corps. I want to say Colts on the DCI side, and maybe Empire Statesmen or Bushwhackers on the DCA side (but again, don't quote me).

It was Colts highest ever placing show in the mid to late nineties, can't remember the year odd the top of my head. Wanna say 1995. Edited by DrumManTx

It was Colts highest placing show in the mid to late nineties, can't remember the year odd the top of my head. Wanna say 1995.

Just checked wikipedia and it was 95

I read this OP and went on and listened to "I Remember Sky"...

Anytime someone puts me back onto Sondheim I'm grateful....

I think that (OK, actually it's completely my opinion so I am happy to be wrong) Sondheim is an even better lyricist than composer - lyrics have never been the strength of our activity, even now with voice overs.

Love Sondheim... love Drum Corps... haven't loved a whole lot of Drum Corps Sondheim, but some... make me smile any time I think about it.

"Merrily..." was the worst fit of any piece the Bridgemen ever played, but it still brings such bittersweet memories...

Yay, corpsreps is back up.

On the DCA side, as Kamarag partly remembered, Bushwackers won in both 1992 and 1993 playing all-Sondheim shows: Sweeney Todd in 1992 and Sunday in the Park with George in 1993.

Some of my favorite Sondheim songs are in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.